how do I get my Magic Jack to work with Uverse?

Tutor

how do I get my Magic Jack to work with Uverse?

A few months ago, I got the magic jack to replace my u-verse phone service and initially it worked fine.  Now won't let me make calls.  I can still get inbound calls, just can't make outbound calls.  Called Magic Jack, att&t to no avail.  I read that it might be the firewall in my 2wire.  Will the MJ work with u-verse or do I need to look for other options?

Message 1 of 13 (6,989 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: how do I get my Magic Jack to work with Uverse?

I would try posting at this forum for Magic Jack: Magic Jack Technical Support | magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks and maybe see if anyone has come across this issue.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (6,988 Views)
Community Support

Hi ccpapaya,

Just wanted to check in with you to see if you were able to get your issue resolved. I looked online and found that a lot of people were having the same issue and they resolved it by doing the following

I went to my.magicjack.com. logged into my control panel and clicked on "call features" and "advanced". Under "Select Service" my setting was for "I elect to accept incoming service only". I changed it to "I elect to accept outgoing and incoming service." That did it. 

Let us know how it is going for you, and we would be glad to help to the best of our ability.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 13 (6,988 Views)
Tutor

Hi David,

My settings are already set to accept outgoing and incoming and it still doesn't work.

Carmen

Message 4 of 13 (6,988 Views)
Tutor

Hi David,

I should probably clarify that I have the Magic Jack Plus.  Also because I have ATT Uverse I have no land  line.  Is it possible that my modem/router's firewall is blocking outgoing calls, if so how do I change the settings?

Thanks

Carmen

Message 5 of 13 (6,988 Views)
Community Support

Hi ccpapaya,

I am hoping it is not blocking the outgoing calls. I have worked other accounts with magicjack and they have never had to do any additional settings, but magicjack plus may be different. The easiest way is to connect a computer to our router and login to it at http://192.168.1.254. From there go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes and DMZ. Choose your device, in this case the Magicjack. Then choose the bottom option Allow all applications (DMZplus mode). After that, you want to restart your Magicjack.

Also, I noticed this post with a guy with similar issues that might be worth trying.

This solution worked for me. However, "accept outgoing and incoming service" was selected. I switched it to "accept outgoing service only". I was able to dial out.
If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 13 (6,988 Views)
Tutor

Thanks David,

This didn't work for me either.  I'm giving up and ordering phone service again

Carmen

Message 7 of 13 (6,988 Views)
Community Support

I apologize we could not get it working for you. Thank you for keeping us updated through all of this, and if you have any further issues, let us know, and we will do our best to help.

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 13 (6,988 Views)
Contributor

When I had my issue with my mj not getting any dial tone I called Uverse support to check my gateway after performing my own diagnostics. The tech did some dignostics and found out that the gateway was deffective. The tech arranged to send me a replacement gateway. It arrived in 2 days. I installed it following the instructions that came with it. When the installation and the configurations were completed, my mj was working again. 

Message 9 of 13 (6,901 Views)
Contributor

I just connected a new uverse modem model #3801HGV and had problems getting my magic jack to work until I finally realized that the phone jack on the back of the modem/router was for uvoice only. All I did was disconnect the phone cable going from the wall to the phone jack on the bacxk of the modem/router. Now everything with the magic jack works perfect. I get both incoming and outgoing service without any problems.
Message 10 of 13 (6,643 Views)
Contributor

ccpapaya wrote:

A few months ago, I got the magic jack to replace my u-verse phone service and initially it worked fine.  Now won't let me make calls.  I can still get inbound calls, just can't make outbound calls.  Called Magic Jack, att&t to no avail.  I read that it might be the firewall in my 2wire.  Will the MJ work with u-verse or do I need to look for other options?

Have you tried Port Forwarding your router? Maybe the ports are closed and they just need to be opened so Magic Jack can work. Maybe this might help.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/3800HGV-B/Magicjack.htm

http://www.pcwintech.com/port-forwarding-2wire-3800hgv-b-att-v6-firmware

You might not have the same router but you can choose another router on portforward.com site and it will give you similar screenshots so you can follow the tutorial step by step. Hope this helps!

Message 11 of 13 (6,065 Views)
Contributor

What did you plug the magic jack into? I'm confused. I'm hoping you could explain.

Message 12 of 13 (1,957 Views)
Contributor

What did you end up plugging the magic jack into? Did you leave the phone cable disconnected?

Message 13 of 13 (1,953 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.