Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 10, 2013
9:51:59 AM
View profile
how do I connect blu ray player and av receiver to hdtv using att uverse wireless box

how do I connect blu ray player and av receiver to hdtv using att uverse wireless box

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 10:14:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The best way to hook up all of these is via HDMI cables in this fashion:

Blu Ray player to AV reciever

U-verse set top box to AV reciever

AV reciever to HDTV

If you give me a list of the model numbers of your devices, I can suggest the exact inputs you should do.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

The best way to hook up all of these is via HDMI cables in this fashion:

Blu Ray player to AV reciever

U-verse set top box to AV reciever

AV reciever to HDTV

If you give me a list of the model numbers of your devices, I can suggest the exact inputs you should do.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: how do I connect blu ray player and av receiver to hdtv using att uverse wireless box

2 of 7 (2,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 10:19:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Jul 10, 2013 at 10:22:26 AM

Vkry47 - The blu-ray (BD) and U-verse STB (set top box) are content providers (source) The TV displays & speaks the content & The receiver speaks the content.

Both the TV and the receiver can each be used to select content. So, the first thing to decide is do you want the sources to be selected by the receiver, which would always provide the sound OR Do you want the TV to select the source and the receiver connected with another cable to provide sound occasionally.

Also, is surround sound involved OR is it exclusively stereo??

Draw a picture of each device & the input/output that each one has. Then draw a line from outputs on the STB & BD to corresponding (same kind) inputs on the Receiver (first case) or both the TV and receiver (second case). Also, from the TV to the receiver (if you want to use the receiver for Over the Air TV) & from the receiver to the TV (case 1). These lines will tell which cables you need.

Connect the devices based on your picture & see if the settings for each device allow it to function the way you want. Change connections if necessary.

Best use the remote for each device to control each device until you have everything working as desired. Then you can program the U-verse remote to control the other devices.

Please work at this to understand it. If you have any questions, you need to provide answers to how you want it to work & what inputs/outputs are available on your devices  -  so I can apply that design to your questions.

Vkry47 - The blu-ray (BD) and U-verse STB (set top box) are content providers (source) The TV displays & speaks the content & The receiver speaks the content.

Both the TV and the receiver can each be used to select content. So, the first thing to decide is do you want the sources to be selected by the receiver, which would always provide the sound OR Do you want the TV to select the source and the receiver connected with another cable to provide sound occasionally.

Also, is surround sound involved OR is it exclusively stereo??

Draw a picture of each device & the input/output that each one has. Then draw a line from outputs on the STB & BD to corresponding (same kind) inputs on the Receiver (first case) or both the TV and receiver (second case). Also, from the TV to the receiver (if you want to use the receiver for Over the Air TV) & from the receiver to the TV (case 1). These lines will tell which cables you need.

Connect the devices based on your picture & see if the settings for each device allow it to function the way you want. Change connections if necessary.

Best use the remote for each device to control each device until you have everything working as desired. Then you can program the U-verse remote to control the other devices.

Please work at this to understand it. If you have any questions, you need to provide answers to how you want it to work & what inputs/outputs are available on your devices  -  so I can apply that design to your questions.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: how do I connect blu ray player and av receiver to hdtv using att uverse wireless box

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (2,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 12:16:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

How about connecting STB to HDMI 1 using a hdmi cable, connecting blu-ray player to HDMI 2 using a hdmi cable, and then connecting the AV Receiver to the tv using a optical cable.  Turn off the tv speakers fire up the tv and AV and you're good to go.  Fire up the blu-ray, tv and he AV  and you're good to go.  Go buy Harmony 300  and push Watch TV" and they all fire up together.

How about connecting STB to HDMI 1 using a hdmi cable, connecting blu-ray player to HDMI 2 using a hdmi cable, and then connecting the AV Receiver to the tv using a optical cable.  Turn off the tv speakers fire up the tv and AV and you're good to go.  Fire up the blu-ray, tv and he AV  and you're good to go.  Go buy Harmony 300  and push Watch TV" and they all fire up together.

4 of 7 (2,345 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:36:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

gmsuv wrote:

This isnt a good idea since several TV manufacturers don't send the full 5.1 surround sound out of the optical cable from the tv unless the signal is revieved via an over the air transmission. Going from hdmi to the TV and sending the sound back into the av reciever could only send 2.1 and you lose out on the remaining signal.

Also, depending on the quality of the TV, you could also risk creating a syncroinzation issue between the sound and picture with this setup. Most AV recievers with HDMI capability are able to adjust and compinisate for this where a TV can't.

-------

gmsuv wrote:

This isnt a good idea since several TV manufacturers don't send the full 5.1 surround sound out of the optical cable from the tv unless the signal is revieved via an over the air transmission. Going from hdmi to the TV and sending the sound back into the av reciever could only send 2.1 and you lose out on the remaining signal.

Also, depending on the quality of the TV, you could also risk creating a syncroinzation issue between the sound and picture with this setup. Most AV recievers with HDMI capability are able to adjust and compinisate for this where a TV can't.

-------

5 of 7 (2,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 3:59:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

I do not think many people by cheap tvs and put av receivers behind it to up the sound.

I do not think many people by cheap tvs and put av receivers behind it to up the sound.

6 of 7 (2,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 5:35:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Vizios are notorious for the 2.1 conversion. A few lower end Samsungs do it too.

They make cheap TVs. Outside of the all-in-one sound/blu-ray systems, they really don't make cheap AV systems.

-------

Vizios are notorious for the 2.1 conversion. A few lower end Samsungs do it too.

They make cheap TVs. Outside of the all-in-one sound/blu-ray systems, they really don't make cheap AV systems.

-------

7 of 7 (2,295 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments