Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 12, 2014
12:23:32 AM
View profile
help for people with limited income, Social Security

At and T needs to give my a really good reason for not cancelling my home phone and cell phone service and going with Magic Jack instead. I have been told over and over I had the best and cheepest plans. I have asked several times this past year when I was also calling about the Life Line program.125.00 amonth. I am disabled and dont work. I sent in my application for life line August the 8, guess what? they don't have it. So what do I say? They are lieing? It got lost in the mail? Someone threw it away? They make you feel like you are lieing! That is not customer service. Then they want you to bundle all your services. Do you know why? So that if you are late paying your bill because there is an emergancy in your family, you lose your entire service and not just your phone. Have you seen all the rewards they are offering to NEW customers? what about those of us who have been with them for 40 years? I guess that doesn't mean any thing.

At and T needs to give my a really good reason for not cancelling my home phone and cell phone service and going with Magic Jack instead. I have been told over and over I had the best and cheepest plans. I have asked several times this past year when I was also calling about the Life Line program.125.00 amonth. I am disabled and dont work. I sent in my application for life line August the 8, guess what? they don't have it. So what do I say? They are lieing? It got lost in the mail? Someone threw it away? They make you feel like you are lieing! That is not customer service. Then they want you to bundle all your services. Do you know why? So that if you are late paying your bill because there is an emergancy in your family, you lose your entire service and not just your phone. Have you seen all the rewards they are offering to NEW customers? what about those of us who have been with them for 40 years? I guess that doesn't mean any thing.

help for people with limited income, Social Security

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 5:26:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

For your cell why don't you apply for the "Obama Phone"....I think that's what they call it?  It's a program where the more fortunate US citizens help to subsidize those that can't afford one.  You will get a free new phone and 250 minutes of air time at no charge.  Can't beat that!! 

As for the rewards for new customers, yep that's how all providers lure new customers into switching to their service.  You can always get in touch with retentions at AT&T and see if they will offer you a contract which in turn will lower your monthly bill.

If you want to discuss your "Life Line" application, I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

For your cell why don't you apply for the "Obama Phone"....I think that's what they call it?  It's a program where the more fortunate US citizens help to subsidize those that can't afford one.  You will get a free new phone and 250 minutes of air time at no charge.  Can't beat that!! 

As for the rewards for new customers, yep that's how all providers lure new customers into switching to their service.  You can always get in touch with retentions at AT&T and see if they will offer you a contract which in turn will lower your monthly bill.

If you want to discuss your "Life Line" application, I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: help for people with limited income, Social Security

2 of 4 (401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 4:16:25 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 12, 2014 at 5:53:17 PM

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Completely mischaracterized{keep it courteous}

1. There is a federal program in existence called the Lifeline program.  It's mission is to make sure that low-income people (defined by meeting several different criteria) can get a subsidy on their phone service.

2. This program was authorized in 1985 under the Reagan administration for land-line phones.

3. The program was expanded in 2008 under the Bush administration to allow coverage for wireless as well as land-line phones.

4. The program was authorized federally, but it is NOT paid for with federal money.  The money for the program comes from the Universal Service Fund (USF) fee on your phone bill.  If you don't have phone service, then you don't subsidize this program.

5. Neither president Obama, nor the Obama administration, have anything to do with this program's creation whatsoever.

6. There is fraud being committed by some small wireless carriers in that they are filing for subsidies from the USF for their customers, even though the customers don't meet the criteria to be enrolled in the Lifeline program.  This is the same as any other type of fraud, and is the fault of the companies involved.

7. In 2012 under the Obama administration, the FCC instituted changes to the Lifeline program aimed at reducing or eliminating the waste, fraud, and abuse of the program.

{Inappropriate content removed}

References:

Snopes.com Write-Up on the mythical Obama Phone

Politifact Analysis of the mythical Obama Phone

2012 FCC Rule Changes to Mitigate Waste Fraud and Abuse

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Completely mischaracterized{keep it courteous}

1. There is a federal program in existence called the Lifeline program.  It's mission is to make sure that low-income people (defined by meeting several different criteria) can get a subsidy on their phone service.

2. This program was authorized in 1985 under the Reagan administration for land-line phones.

3. The program was expanded in 2008 under the Bush administration to allow coverage for wireless as well as land-line phones.

4. The program was authorized federally, but it is NOT paid for with federal money.  The money for the program comes from the Universal Service Fund (USF) fee on your phone bill.  If you don't have phone service, then you don't subsidize this program.

5. Neither president Obama, nor the Obama administration, have anything to do with this program's creation whatsoever.

6. There is fraud being committed by some small wireless carriers in that they are filing for subsidies from the USF for their customers, even though the customers don't meet the criteria to be enrolled in the Lifeline program.  This is the same as any other type of fraud, and is the fault of the companies involved.

7. In 2012 under the Obama administration, the FCC instituted changes to the Lifeline program aimed at reducing or eliminating the waste, fraud, and abuse of the program.

{Inappropriate content removed}

References:

Snopes.com Write-Up on the mythical Obama Phone

Politifact Analysis of the mythical Obama Phone

2012 FCC Rule Changes to Mitigate Waste Fraud and Abuse

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 7:31:05 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 13, 2014 at 7:37:39 AM

Hello @mom1925,

I also recommend what BeeBeeSA suggested and if you haven't yet, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare for assistance. One of our social media care managers will contact you directly to help you find the best solution.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @mom1925,

I also recommend what BeeBeeSA suggested and if you haven't yet, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare for assistance. One of our social media care managers will contact you directly to help you find the best solution.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (280 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments