Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 23, 2013
6:07:24 PM
View profile
feedback after adding uverse data/tv service

Hello All,

I may just be too new to know how to deal with a few things but I have some issue with uverse tv that I never did with DirecTV.

1. if I am paying for service, I should NEVER have to come home & find 'press ok to watch' on the screen!  If I want to leave it playing for 4 days & I am a paying customer, my equipment should NOT decide when to stop receiving a signal - PERIOD.

2. I have spoken with customer service about the above issue & was told there is an approx 4 hr window of time, after which if there is no activity from the remote, the signal defaults to 'press ok to watch'.  I was told this cannot be extended or modified - its built into the receiver.   Why???

3. when i select the weather on demand channel, why must I press again for the 'press ok to watch' screen?  This seems to be a major thing with uverse.  If I press the channel button, I WANT TO WATCH THAT CHANNEL!  DUH!  Also, I have yet to find any "interactive" map that works on the uverse weather channel.

4. this may be a user educational thing, but when I have programmed my favorites into the receiver & then press guide, why does it always default to the entire guide instead of to the channels I have already programmed into my favorites?  Having to select favorites every time defeats the purpose of setting them up.

5. the remote is not very sensitive & sometimes takes several tries just to turn on the tv.  Never had this problem with DirecTV.

6. why is the grid guide so small that it partially cuts off the names of the shows?  Once again, way too much button pressing to achieve a task that shouldnt require it.  DirecTV seems to understand that if you want to decide what to watch, you need the entire title of the show.  Yes I know there is another option to view more information & if I wanted that option, I would use it - I dont.

These seem to be pretty basic customer service issues that AT&T can't seem to master.  I've had my uverse less than 2 months & am already eyeballing any specials DirecTV may offer to win me back.  You can bet, as soon as my commitment to uverse is reduced to the 200$ cancellation rebate DirecTV is offering applies to me, I'll be switching back.

Hello All,

I may just be too new to know how to deal with a few things but I have some issue with uverse tv that I never did with DirecTV.

1. if I am paying for service, I should NEVER have to come home & find 'press ok to watch' on the screen!  If I want to leave it playing for 4 days & I am a paying customer, my equipment should NOT decide when to stop receiving a signal - PERIOD.

2. I have spoken with customer service about the above issue & was told there is an approx 4 hr window of time, after which if there is no activity from the remote, the signal defaults to 'press ok to watch'.  I was told this cannot be extended or modified - its built into the receiver.   Why???

3. when i select the weather on demand channel, why must I press again for the 'press ok to watch' screen?  This seems to be a major thing with uverse.  If I press the channel button, I WANT TO WATCH THAT CHANNEL!  DUH!  Also, I have yet to find any "interactive" map that works on the uverse weather channel.

4. this may be a user educational thing, but when I have programmed my favorites into the receiver & then press guide, why does it always default to the entire guide instead of to the channels I have already programmed into my favorites?  Having to select favorites every time defeats the purpose of setting them up.

5. the remote is not very sensitive & sometimes takes several tries just to turn on the tv.  Never had this problem with DirecTV.

6. why is the grid guide so small that it partially cuts off the names of the shows?  Once again, way too much button pressing to achieve a task that shouldnt require it.  DirecTV seems to understand that if you want to decide what to watch, you need the entire title of the show.  Yes I know there is another option to view more information & if I wanted that option, I would use it - I dont.

These seem to be pretty basic customer service issues that AT&T can't seem to master.  I've had my uverse less than 2 months & am already eyeballing any specials DirecTV may offer to win me back.  You can bet, as soon as my commitment to uverse is reduced to the 200$ cancellation rebate DirecTV is offering applies to me, I'll be switching back.

feedback after adding uverse data/tv service

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 2:09:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Sounds like you should leave. Uverse is a better service though. Good luck.

Sounds like you should leave. Uverse is a better service though. Good luck.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: feedback after adding uverse data/tv service

2 of 9 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 3:12:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

1) That's your opinion, and you're welcome to keep it.  However, U-verse does not work that way.

2) The period is 8 hours, not 4.  It is depressing that the tier 1 telephone reps can't answer some simple questions correctly.

3) Because it starts up an application instead of being a simple chanel change.  I believe the logic is that they don't want to go through all of the overhead of starting up the application if you're just surfing by or entered the wrong channel number by mistake.  You could just go to The Weather Channel instead.  IIRC, these sorts of applications are started on a server at the VHO and piped to your STB, making it important to utilize these shared resources wisely.  Does DirecTV have a application like this on their receivers?  How does it work?

4) I agree that favorite lists are harder to access than they should be.  However, you can additionally hide channels from the main guide, making your main guide closer to what you want.

5) This could be an issue of IR interference or the way it is designed; I'm not sure about your particulars as far as distance and angle.  A couple of alternatives:  AT&T sells an RF remote called the "point anywhere" remote.  Also, there are app for both iOS and Android devices that control the receiver using IP networking.

6) Do you have an HD TV?  Is the TV connected via HDMI or component cables?  Is the Reciever configured for a HD resolution (720 or 1080)?   In HD mode, you get more width to the guide.  You can do this even if you don't subscribe to the HD technology fee.

1) That's your opinion, and you're welcome to keep it.  However, U-verse does not work that way.

2) The period is 8 hours, not 4.  It is depressing that the tier 1 telephone reps can't answer some simple questions correctly.

3) Because it starts up an application instead of being a simple chanel change.  I believe the logic is that they don't want to go through all of the overhead of starting up the application if you're just surfing by or entered the wrong channel number by mistake.  You could just go to The Weather Channel instead.  IIRC, these sorts of applications are started on a server at the VHO and piped to your STB, making it important to utilize these shared resources wisely.  Does DirecTV have a application like this on their receivers?  How does it work?

4) I agree that favorite lists are harder to access than they should be.  However, you can additionally hide channels from the main guide, making your main guide closer to what you want.

5) This could be an issue of IR interference or the way it is designed; I'm not sure about your particulars as far as distance and angle.  A couple of alternatives:  AT&T sells an RF remote called the "point anywhere" remote.  Also, there are app for both iOS and Android devices that control the receiver using IP networking.

6) Do you have an HD TV?  Is the TV connected via HDMI or component cables?  Is the Reciever configured for a HD resolution (720 or 1080)?   In HD mode, you get more width to the guide.  You can do this even if you don't subscribe to the HD technology fee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2013 6:00:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

FWIW... I just switched from DTV to uverse on Monday and I am pretty happy I did, now all my TVs work with one remote each instead of using 2 for each TV that I had to do before, better picture, faster guide, more channels for lower price, no rain fade, etc... there is a learning curve but that is to be expected, only negetive thing is no NFL sunday Ticket but after tomorrow i have 8 months to rethink that issue! BTW... the installer was great, very professional and competent, not the fools that DTV usually sends out!

FWIW... I just switched from DTV to uverse on Monday and I am pretty happy I did, now all my TVs work with one remote each instead of using 2 for each TV that I had to do before, better picture, faster guide, more channels for lower price, no rain fade, etc... there is a learning curve but that is to be expected, only negetive thing is no NFL sunday Ticket but after tomorrow i have 8 months to rethink that issue! BTW... the installer was great, very professional and competent, not the fools that DTV usually sends out!

4 of 9 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2013 6:13:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

tsbrady wrote:

Good to hear.  AT&T uses only employees to do installs.  I don't think DirecTV has any installers of their own; they contract it out to local businesses.

tsbrady wrote:

Good to hear.  AT&T uses only employees to do installs.  I don't think DirecTV has any installers of their own; they contract it out to local businesses.

5 of 9 (587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 2:19:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes I should & in my opinion it is NOT a better service.  Thanks for the good wishes.

Yes I should & in my opinion it is NOT a better service.  Thanks for the good wishes.

6 of 9 (533 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 5:39:44 AM
(0)
Master

mxp5769 wrote:

We'll agree to disagree. I left DTV in 2009 and haven't looked back. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

mxp5769 wrote:

We'll agree to disagree. I left DTV in 2009 and haven't looked back. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

7 of 9 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 8:15:54 PM
(0)
Employee

I left Cox Communications over 3 years ago. I also looked at DTV and several of my neighbors lose service during even light rain and light cloud cover. That's a huge problem for me so I didn't even look at the satellite option as I live on the Gulf Coast where we have decent storms on a constant basis.

Upon getting U-Verse, there were no wifi boxes, you couldn't pause or rewind live TV on the satellite boxes, but I didn't really mind whatsoever. Around 5-6 months later, they caught up and you could pause/rewind live TV on every TV. I enjoyed the product so much I started working for AT&T as a prem/wire tech and have enjoyed it since then. To see how U-Verse has evolved in the last 3 years has been pretty exciting. Wireless boxes have benefitted not only us installers, but the customers see a huge benefit as well. Knowing what's coming in the coming year just makes it even more exciting. Hold on to your seats folks. Some cool tech is on its way.

I left Cox Communications over 3 years ago. I also looked at DTV and several of my neighbors lose service during even light rain and light cloud cover. That's a huge problem for me so I didn't even look at the satellite option as I live on the Gulf Coast where we have decent storms on a constant basis.

Upon getting U-Verse, there were no wifi boxes, you couldn't pause or rewind live TV on the satellite boxes, but I didn't really mind whatsoever. Around 5-6 months later, they caught up and you could pause/rewind live TV on every TV. I enjoyed the product so much I started working for AT&T as a prem/wire tech and have enjoyed it since then. To see how U-Verse has evolved in the last 3 years has been pretty exciting. Wireless boxes have benefitted not only us installers, but the customers see a huge benefit as well. Knowing what's coming in the coming year just makes it even more exciting. Hold on to your seats folks. Some cool tech is on its way.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 9 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 1:05:55 PM
(0)
Expert

I went to DTV after leaving Comcast, and the installer was not a DTV employee.  He gave my wife a pretty hard time when he was there, but what he didn't know was I was on my way home.  He got seriously straightened out.  I liked the picture quality I got with DTV when it wasn't cloudy, raining, snowing hard, or foggy.

December 2007 I left DTV for Uverse.  At the time Uverse didn't have most of the features they offer now, and at the time I was glad that I could watch TV in any kind of weather conditions.  If I new that I could get a better price with DTV I still wouldn't go back.

No service provider is perfect but Uverse offers the goods and services that I like, and will continue to use.  Unless I move some place that it isn't available.  And I hope that doesn't happen.

I went to DTV after leaving Comcast, and the installer was not a DTV employee.  He gave my wife a pretty hard time when he was there, but what he didn't know was I was on my way home.  He got seriously straightened out.  I liked the picture quality I got with DTV when it wasn't cloudy, raining, snowing hard, or foggy.

December 2007 I left DTV for Uverse.  At the time Uverse didn't have most of the features they offer now, and at the time I was glad that I could watch TV in any kind of weather conditions.  If I new that I could get a better price with DTV I still wouldn't go back.

No service provider is perfect but Uverse offers the goods and services that I like, and will continue to use.  Unless I move some place that it isn't available.  And I hope that doesn't happen.

9 of 9 (325 Views)