Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 23, 2013
8:44:41 AM
fed up with uverse

for the love of god.  im fed up with laptops too.  Had a very long and well thought out post, almost finished.  When typing on my laptop my cursor decided to highlight the address bar and change the page, losing everything I had just typed.   So i am going to make this short, simple, and condensed.

A) your on demand sucks.  Bad.   Whats the issue?  You actually charge a sub fee for more content?!

B) you have worse customer service than the competition, worse prices, and worse performance to boot.  how far do you expect your name to get you?  either the price has to go down, or the performance up.  cant have both.

C) do we really mean so little that you cant pay a couple dollars more an hour to use americans for customer service?  Seriously, if you could import foreigners you can bet your tail they would be doing the installs too.  way to make us feel like crap.  due to the language barrier (them not understanding us or us them) we end up with a frustrating experience and a worse end result.   Consistently.   Not to mention screwing thousands (id assume) of americans out of jobs.

What brought about this rant you may ask?  let me quickly (and at an injustice to me i might add) tell you.

I went with uverse about a year ago, due to nothing other than my OCD compelling me to have the same company for my broadband as I did for my cellphone.

Apart from worse speeds and worse on demand, i ended up with a bill of around the same cost, a neat new box to play with, and peace of mind.  (course i found out after the fact it was still billed seperately so it drove me nearly as nuts) I did go with the top TV package, and the top broadband speed package at the time.

Well today I decided to check if they were doing anything to close the gap speedwise between them and what amounts to the rest of the broadband providing world.   Woot! they sure are!  They nearly doubled their previous speeds!!! (unfortunately theyre still slower than everyone else, and more expensive lol)

Either way, i had hoped that since i was top teir, they would bump everyone (myself included) up to the new top speed, and that would be the end of it.  (price woudl stay the same, since theyre playing catch  up after all)

Obviously, this wasnt the case.  I noticed it was 10 dollars more expensive... ridiculous that they would be adding even more to their prices. yet i was willing to pay it in order to remove the stuttering from my HD on demand videos.
So it began, I called and obviously ended up with a foreigner whom I had trouble understanding.  It was at this point I decided to give up on my (kill two birds with one stone) approach I had intended, and simply tried to upgrade the broadband speed.  (i had initially wanted to inquire about promotions and bill adjustment since my initial promotion was about to end which would put my bill up to 200 a month which is nauseating)

The CSR begins to tell me that it is going to cost me another 100 dollars to upgrade!  Im like huh??? So I am upgrading YOUR service and in order to PAY YOU more money a month, you want me to PAY 100!?!  So I immediately decided against it.   You would rather lose 10 dollars a month for what would amount to god knows what since i would be using it perpetually for what could be the rest of my life, over trying to gouge people for 100 dollars more??

Ironic, comcast just moved people in the top slot up to what became the new top speed.  While wideopenwest didnt, but they pro rated the additional cost of the upgrade, and punched it in the pc on their end and POOF your speed was now upgraded.

ATT wants to charge me 100 and send a tech out under the premise that my current modem/router/gateway needs to be upgraded in order to use the new speeds.  Interesting, I have never in my life heard of a 25mbps gateway that couldnt handle 45mbps or any limit in between.   10mbps sure, 10 years ago.. 100mbps.. sure. 5 years ago...now gigabit stuff is become mainstream at worst.. and your telling me your hardware cant handle 45mbps and i need to pay 100 for a tech to come out and change it?? 

Lets say I believe you.  Why would that not be a free visit?? I'm upgrading your service in order to stay a customer and pay YOU more money every month.  
So i asked to have the new modem sent to me.  I would install it myself.   Of course i was told that isnt possible.   I argued that it was certainly possible when starting service from scratch (they have a self install kit they mail out, even to un tech savvy customers) so they couldnt send me (tech savvy/IT employee) a modem/gateway so I could simply swap the lan/wan/rj45 wires and call it a day??

Of course not, he gave me some other excuse that at this point I wasnt listening to and couldnt understand anyhow due to them outsourcing to arabia. 
So angry!  I mean come on ATT does this not bother the brass up top? I see this over and over.   I dont want to leave, then I end up aggravating my ocd again which is trivial and silly to those who arent afflicted with the condition, but to me it truly does give peace of mind.   Dont get me wrong there IS a line and we are toeing it currently!!

So what would you guys do?   Anyone have a similar experience?  Thoughts on the current state of ATT/Uverse?  What would you do in my position?  Should i try to argue for a waiver via another csr? (hopefully i can get an american one, they do exist right?)

P.S.  i am not racist in any way, shape or form before someone tries to pull that card.   The csr issue is only a small portion of the big picture... and from a practical standpoint, it wouldnt matter to me if they were austrian.  The same would apply.  The culture difference coupled with the accent/language barrier makes dealing with very diverse issues very difficult.

Thanks for hearing my rant! (for those that read this book!)

for the love of god.  im fed up with laptops too.  Had a very long and well thought out post, almost finished.  When typing on my laptop my cursor decided to highlight the address bar and change the page, losing everything I had just typed.   So i am going to make this short, simple, and condensed.

A) your on demand sucks.  Bad.   Whats the issue?  You actually charge a sub fee for more content?!

B) you have worse customer service than the competition, worse prices, and worse performance to boot.  how far do you expect your name to get you?  either the price has to go down, or the performance up.  cant have both.

C) do we really mean so little that you cant pay a couple dollars more an hour to use americans for customer service?  Seriously, if you could import foreigners you can bet your tail they would be doing the installs too.  way to make us feel like crap.  due to the language barrier (them not understanding us or us them) we end up with a frustrating experience and a worse end result.   Consistently.   Not to mention screwing thousands (id assume) of americans out of jobs.

What brought about this rant you may ask?  let me quickly (and at an injustice to me i might add) tell you.

I went with uverse about a year ago, due to nothing other than my OCD compelling me to have the same company for my broadband as I did for my cellphone.

Apart from worse speeds and worse on demand, i ended up with a bill of around the same cost, a neat new box to play with, and peace of mind.  (course i found out after the fact it was still billed seperately so it drove me nearly as nuts) I did go with the top TV package, and the top broadband speed package at the time.

Well today I decided to check if they were doing anything to close the gap speedwise between them and what amounts to the rest of the broadband providing world.   Woot! they sure are!  They nearly doubled their previous speeds!!! (unfortunately theyre still slower than everyone else, and more expensive lol)

Either way, i had hoped that since i was top teir, they would bump everyone (myself included) up to the new top speed, and that would be the end of it.  (price woudl stay the same, since theyre playing catch  up after all)

Obviously, this wasnt the case.  I noticed it was 10 dollars more expensive... ridiculous that they would be adding even more to their prices. yet i was willing to pay it in order to remove the stuttering from my HD on demand videos.
So it began, I called and obviously ended up with a foreigner whom I had trouble understanding.  It was at this point I decided to give up on my (kill two birds with one stone) approach I had intended, and simply tried to upgrade the broadband speed.  (i had initially wanted to inquire about promotions and bill adjustment since my initial promotion was about to end which would put my bill up to 200 a month which is nauseating)

The CSR begins to tell me that it is going to cost me another 100 dollars to upgrade!  Im like huh??? So I am upgrading YOUR service and in order to PAY YOU more money a month, you want me to PAY 100!?!  So I immediately decided against it.   You would rather lose 10 dollars a month for what would amount to god knows what since i would be using it perpetually for what could be the rest of my life, over trying to gouge people for 100 dollars more??

Ironic, comcast just moved people in the top slot up to what became the new top speed.  While wideopenwest didnt, but they pro rated the additional cost of the upgrade, and punched it in the pc on their end and POOF your speed was now upgraded.

ATT wants to charge me 100 and send a tech out under the premise that my current modem/router/gateway needs to be upgraded in order to use the new speeds.  Interesting, I have never in my life heard of a 25mbps gateway that couldnt handle 45mbps or any limit in between.   10mbps sure, 10 years ago.. 100mbps.. sure. 5 years ago...now gigabit stuff is become mainstream at worst.. and your telling me your hardware cant handle 45mbps and i need to pay 100 for a tech to come out and change it?? 

Lets say I believe you.  Why would that not be a free visit?? I'm upgrading your service in order to stay a customer and pay YOU more money every month.  
So i asked to have the new modem sent to me.  I would install it myself.   Of course i was told that isnt possible.   I argued that it was certainly possible when starting service from scratch (they have a self install kit they mail out, even to un tech savvy customers) so they couldnt send me (tech savvy/IT employee) a modem/gateway so I could simply swap the lan/wan/rj45 wires and call it a day??

Of course not, he gave me some other excuse that at this point I wasnt listening to and couldnt understand anyhow due to them outsourcing to arabia. 
So angry!  I mean come on ATT does this not bother the brass up top? I see this over and over.   I dont want to leave, then I end up aggravating my ocd again which is trivial and silly to those who arent afflicted with the condition, but to me it truly does give peace of mind.   Dont get me wrong there IS a line and we are toeing it currently!!

So what would you guys do?   Anyone have a similar experience?  Thoughts on the current state of ATT/Uverse?  What would you do in my position?  Should i try to argue for a waiver via another csr? (hopefully i can get an american one, they do exist right?)

P.S.  i am not racist in any way, shape or form before someone tries to pull that card.   The csr issue is only a small portion of the big picture... and from a practical standpoint, it wouldnt matter to me if they were austrian.  The same would apply.  The culture difference coupled with the accent/language barrier makes dealing with very diverse issues very difficult.

Thanks for hearing my rant! (for those that read this book!)

fed up with uverse

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 10:16:54 AM
(0)
Employee
There are I believe 27 call centers in the US, as the day gets later shifts, late day, weekends Philippines.
So best to call earlier Monday to Friday if desire US call center.

Remember, we are a multi cultural country and ATT is diverse employment, so still many get someone from a background that you might have trouble understanding.
Some locations are in Georgia, Ohio, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Missouri, Texas, California.

The new POWER tier internet speed referred to as desire to upgrade is provided on a bonded (two line) pair, work involves new outside connections, new connections in NID on side of house, possible new cat5 direct feed to RG location, new jack connections and finally new RG.
The service would not work by simple plug and play method, also explains why not just moved to higher speed when available.
This is in effect a new install, instead of being charged normal $149 install rate receive a special rate of $99, saves a $50 bill.

What would I do, if not wanting to pay more to get more, simply call ask for retentions, explain expiring promotion and see what new promotion I could be placed in.
If agreeable fine, if not see what else is available from other sources and make an informed choice not ruled by emotions.
There are I believe 27 call centers in the US, as the day gets later shifts, late day, weekends Philippines.

Remember, we are a multi cultural country and ATT is diverse employment, so still many get someone from a background that you might have trouble understanding.
Some locations are in Georgia, Ohio, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Missouri, Texas, California.

The new POWER tier internet speed referred to as desire to upgrade is provided on a bonded (two line) pair, work involves new outside connections, new connections in NID on side of house, possible new cat5 direct feed to RG location, new jack connections and finally new RG.
The service would not work by simple plug and play method, also explains why not just moved to higher speed when available.
This is in effect a new install, instead of being charged normal $149 install rate receive a special rate of $99, saves a $50 bill.

What would I do, if not wanting to pay more to get more, simply call ask for retentions, explain expiring promotion and see what new promotion I could be placed in.
If agreeable fine, if not see what else is available from other sources and make an informed choice not ruled by emotions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: fed up with uverse

2 of 5 (359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:19:54 PM
(0)
Mentor
lots of good info here, thank you very much! As far as new promotions, I was told by the foreign fellow, I would not be allowed any new promotions until my current one expired (which means December) true or not, couldn't say. As far as retentions, I have no idea what that is or means in this context.

I was not aware the upgraded speed requires all new cabling outside even, which is disappointing because had I known it was coming so soon, I would have just waited to start uverse instead of paying 2 install fees. Hopefully when they increase again, it wont be yet another install fee. I have had many many increases over several ISP's and up until now none of them required new hardware or installs or fees etc. Regardless, it is what it is. I don't see having any other choice than sucking it up, now that you clarified the fact.

Its still screwy, but atleast I understand why its being charged to begin with. Hoepfully they keep on using the bazillions of dollars theyre making wisely (upgrading equipment/network) and not giving bonuses to their ceo's and execs, so they can become a bit more competitive with the other big wigs such as Comcast. Theyre superior in simplicity, superior in speed, superior in price, and superior in content. I do prefer the uverse interface, as well as having all my "utilities" persay coming from one company... but I could sure use a bone or two tossed my way. Upgrade us to 75mbps and then we'll talk. Think Comcast is like 90 or 100 atm. And Verizon's fiber is something absolutely mad (don't even want to guess and too lazy to google but I think its 4 or 5x that)

anyhow, without further rambling - ty for the clarification!
lots of good info here, thank you very much! As far as new promotions, I was told by the foreign fellow, I would not be allowed any new promotions until my current one expired (which means December) true or not, couldn't say. As far as retentions, I have no idea what that is or means in this context.

I was not aware the upgraded speed requires all new cabling outside even, which is disappointing because had I known it was coming so soon, I would have just waited to start uverse instead of paying 2 install fees. Hopefully when they increase again, it wont be yet another install fee. I have had many many increases over several ISP's and up until now none of them required new hardware or installs or fees etc. Regardless, it is what it is. I don't see having any other choice than sucking it up, now that you clarified the fact.

Its still screwy, but atleast I understand why its being charged to begin with. Hoepfully they keep on using the bazillions of dollars theyre making wisely (upgrading equipment/network) and not giving bonuses to their ceo's and execs, so they can become a bit more competitive with the other big wigs such as Comcast. Theyre superior in simplicity, superior in speed, superior in price, and superior in content. I do prefer the uverse interface, as well as having all my "utilities" persay coming from one company... but I could sure use a bone or two tossed my way. Upgrade us to 75mbps and then we'll talk. Think Comcast is like 90 or 100 atm. And Verizon's fiber is something absolutely mad (don't even want to guess and too lazy to google but I think its 4 or 5x that)

anyhow, without further rambling - ty for the clarification!

3 of 5 (340 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 7:50:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Klepp, click on the hyperlink in my sig for AT&T Customer Care, and you will be taken to their site to send them a PM.  They are an escalation team that is higher than regular Customer Service and can help you get your issues and requests resolved.  Send them a PM with your info and requests and they will get in touch with you.  Watch the little blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.  Because they will reply to you via PM as well.

In regard to promotions, there always promotions that are available to existing subs, because I have been a Uverse sub since 07 and I am currently on several.  If/when you call ATT and get an uncooperative CSR politely end the call and call back until you do get a cooperative CSR.  They are out there.  This works for me on a regular basis, and I recommend it quite often.

Klepp, click on the hyperlink in my sig for AT&T Customer Care, and you will be taken to their site to send them a PM.  They are an escalation team that is higher than regular Customer Service and can help you get your issues and requests resolved.  Send them a PM with your info and requests and they will get in touch with you.  Watch the little blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.  Because they will reply to you via PM as well.

In regard to promotions, there always promotions that are available to existing subs, because I have been a Uverse sub since 07 and I am currently on several.  If/when you call ATT and get an uncooperative CSR politely end the call and call back until you do get a cooperative CSR.  They are out there.  This works for me on a regular basis, and I recommend it quite often.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 11:27:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

my thoughts wrote:

If that's the case, then why even bother having those foreign call centers in the Philipines and India?  They're not going to handle the same volume of calls as the daytime centers, so just hire additional shifts in the US.  It seems that the foreign call centers are bad all around.  I remember when there was that massive move several years ago with HP & Dell outsourcing their call centers for a year and they pulled them back because customer service was just horrendous.  I dealt with them before, during and after the outsourcing, and the period when they outsourced was bad.  I had great fast service when the US call centers handled the calls, but communications broke down when the Indian call centers took over that one year.  The CSRs just weren't trained.  How much money is actually saved by doing that?  Is it actually worth the bad PR to the customers that have to deal with them?  So, if I have a problem late in the evenings or on weekends, I get sub-par service?  That shouldn't be the case.

I had to deal with an issue for over a month and every call to a foreign call center was bad, so, eventually, I tried calling during "business hours" to get better service, which wasn't when I was experiencing my problems, since I was at work and not at home.  When I'm not at home, I can't be at my modem to check lights.  At least they have upgraded one part of the automated call and added an option to bypass the instructions for rebooting the modem if I've already done it.  I don't have to wait 10 minutes after the initial call anymore.  After a dozen calls, I know how to reboot my modem before I make  a call to AT&T.

The call centers' ticketing software must be a piece of junk, because scheduling a tech and requesting help to escalate the problem took forever.  I keep getting told that they had to generate a new ticket.  Obviously, when someone has a real problem, communications at AT&T breaks down.  (A communications company that falis at internal communications - Oh, the irony)  If I have an existing problem, they should escalate the ticket, especially if I'm already on my 3rd or 4th call for the exact same problem that hasn't been fixed.

P.S. We pay more because of regulatory capture.  Our internet should have been cheaper and faster if AT&T had used the government handout in the 90s to upgrade infrastructure instead of pocketting it as bonuses for the CEOs.  Now the CEOs want more money so they can upgrade infrastructure.  They should give back our tax money.   Many other countries have much better internet than we do and pay much less for it.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24528383

my thoughts wrote:

If that's the case, then why even bother having those foreign call centers in the Philipines and India?  They're not going to handle the same volume of calls as the daytime centers, so just hire additional shifts in the US.  It seems that the foreign call centers are bad all around.  I remember when there was that massive move several years ago with HP & Dell outsourcing their call centers for a year and they pulled them back because customer service was just horrendous.  I dealt with them before, during and after the outsourcing, and the period when they outsourced was bad.  I had great fast service when the US call centers handled the calls, but communications broke down when the Indian call centers took over that one year.  The CSRs just weren't trained.  How much money is actually saved by doing that?  Is it actually worth the bad PR to the customers that have to deal with them?  So, if I have a problem late in the evenings or on weekends, I get sub-par service?  That shouldn't be the case.

I had to deal with an issue for over a month and every call to a foreign call center was bad, so, eventually, I tried calling during "business hours" to get better service, which wasn't when I was experiencing my problems, since I was at work and not at home.  When I'm not at home, I can't be at my modem to check lights.  At least they have upgraded one part of the automated call and added an option to bypass the instructions for rebooting the modem if I've already done it.  I don't have to wait 10 minutes after the initial call anymore.  After a dozen calls, I know how to reboot my modem before I make  a call to AT&T.

The call centers' ticketing software must be a piece of junk, because scheduling a tech and requesting help to escalate the problem took forever.  I keep getting told that they had to generate a new ticket.  Obviously, when someone has a real problem, communications at AT&T breaks down.  (A communications company that falis at internal communications - Oh, the irony)  If I have an existing problem, they should escalate the ticket, especially if I'm already on my 3rd or 4th call for the exact same problem that hasn't been fixed.

P.S. We pay more because of regulatory capture.  Our internet should have been cheaper and faster if AT&T had used the government handout in the 90s to upgrade infrastructure instead of pocketting it as bonuses for the CEOs.  Now the CEOs want more money so they can upgrade infrastructure.  They should give back our tax money.   Many other countries have much better internet than we do and pay much less for it.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24528383

5 of 5 (246 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments