Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 7, 2014
10:06:38 PM
View profile
dvr reboot

Had to move television tongiht from nomal location.  Upon reconnecting everything the TV / DVR is not working.  Tried multiple times to reboot.  Sometimes it would get stuck in a reboot cycle...other times it would get stuck on the att blue screen with the spinning circle stopped.  

my only thought is I had to switch coax cable for new location.  

internet works just fine.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Had to move television tongiht from nomal location.  Upon reconnecting everything the TV / DVR is not working.  Tried multiple times to reboot.  Sometimes it would get stuck in a reboot cycle...other times it would get stuck on the att blue screen with the spinning circle stopped.  

my only thought is I had to switch coax cable for new location.  

internet works just fine.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

dvr reboot

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 5:07:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
sebroberg - Vacant COAX outlets are probably not live with U-verse. Find the other end of the old & new location cables & swap the connection or non-connection at that end.
sebroberg - Vacant COAX outlets are probably not live with U-verse. Find the other end of the old & new location cables & swap the connection or non-connection at that end.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: dvr reboot

2 of 6 (533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 5:26:45 AM
(0)
Employee

Also check if the link light on the receiver is ON. Its an indication for connectivity with the Uverse network (Modem). If its lit you may try the below steps

Please unplug the power cord of the receiver or DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds.
Plug the receiver/DVR back in.
When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the receiver/DVR again. Repeat this process two more times.
Plug the receiver/DVR back in and on the third time leave it in. You should have three white dots appear followed by a gear or sprocket, like on a bicycle, with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Let the status bar load completely and the receiver/DVR will reboot.

If no Link light,  There might be an issue with the wall jack / wiring  or it might be an inactive walljack.

Also check if the link light on the receiver is ON. Its an indication for connectivity with the Uverse network (Modem). If its lit you may try the below steps

Please unplug the power cord of the receiver or DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds.
Plug the receiver/DVR back in.
When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the receiver/DVR again. Repeat this process two more times.
Plug the receiver/DVR back in and on the third time leave it in. You should have three white dots appear followed by a gear or sprocket, like on a bicycle, with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Let the status bar load completely and the receiver/DVR will reboot.

If no Link light,  There might be an issue with the wall jack / wiring  or it might be an inactive walljack.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 4:04:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

yes, the link light is on

I do not see 3 dots though when I plug back in.  Here are what the screens say

1st screen "Rethink Possible"

2nd screen " AT&T U-verse"

3rd screen " DVR system is starting. Please wait."

did not see 3 dot or the cog/sprocket you mentioned.

yes, the link light is on

I do not see 3 dots though when I plug back in.  Here are what the screens say

1st screen "Rethink Possible"

2nd screen " AT&T U-verse"

3rd screen " DVR system is starting. Please wait."

did not see 3 dot or the cog/sprocket you mentioned.

4 of 6 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 6:40:23 PM
(0)
Employee
Do you have another location you can connect to, verifying good box or bad.

Honestly still sounds like a connection issue, especially as not in original location.
While the link light is good in seeing a connection to something, does not mean there is not a line issue at new location, possible bad connector, crimped connection, hidden or bad splitter, or just old non standard coax not meeting requirements.

If cannot resolve, time to schedule a tech visit, inside wiring issue, if found is $99 to correct unless have wire maintenance plan, but still may be charged as moved...compared to original locaton.
Do you have another location you can connect to, verifying good box or bad.

Honestly still sounds like a connection issue, especially as not in original location.
While the link light is good in seeing a connection to something, does not mean there is not a line issue at new location, possible bad connector, crimped connection, hidden or bad splitter, or just old non standard coax not meeting requirements.

If cannot resolve, time to schedule a tech visit, inside wiring issue, if found is $99 to correct unless have wire maintenance plan, but still may be charged as moved...compared to original locaton.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (496 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2014 4:23:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
sebroberg - I like MTs suggestion of trying a known good connection. To me, that is a short cat5 cable plugged in to the RG. The cat5 cable is first tested with another STB. If that does not work you can call for another DVR.

Before you call, do a full reload. You will lose your recordings, but you will also lose them with the new DVR.

You must do this on the front panel of the DVR itself, not on the remote:

1. Press and hold down the power button.
2. Within 1 second, also press and hold down the OK and down arrow buttons.
3. All 3 front panel lights (red, green, blue will come on). At this point, release the power button, but continue holding down OK and down arrow.
4. When you see a gear appear on the screen, release OK and down arrow.

The system will reload the factory software from the network. This will take 20-30 minutes, and then the system will reboot.
sebroberg - I like MTs suggestion of trying a known good connection. To me, that is a short cat5 cable plugged in to the RG. The cat5 cable is first tested with another STB. If that does not work you can call for another DVR.

Before you call, do a full reload. You will lose your recordings, but you will also lose them with the new DVR.

You must do this on the front panel of the DVR itself, not on the remote:

1. Press and hold down the power button.
2. Within 1 second, also press and hold down the OK and down arrow buttons.
3. All 3 front panel lights (red, green, blue will come on). At this point, release the power button, but continue holding down OK and down arrow.
4. When you see a gear appear on the screen, release OK and down arrow.

The system will reload the factory software from the network. This will take 20-30 minutes, and then the system will reboot.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (478 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments