Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 10, 2013
12:27:34 PM
View profile
connecting 2 different network subnets

I have a uverse gateyway mode/router with a firewall connected to it to protect via LAN network.  the issue i am facing is with my survelliance camera system.  I want to be able to access it via wan and lan so if i put the network cable straight into the router i can access it via cloud/wan but not LAN.  how do i set this up to be able to access it on both types of networks.

I have a uverse gateyway mode/router with a firewall connected to it to protect via LAN network.  the issue i am facing is with my survelliance camera system.  I want to be able to access it via wan and lan so if i put the network cable straight into the router i can access it via cloud/wan but not LAN.  how do i set this up to be able to access it on both types of networks.

connecting 2 different network subnets

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 10:04:13 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi gow75,

I am thinking this should be possible if you can expand your subnet on our router, but this may lead to conflicts. If you setup the LAN DHCP pool to encompass your firewall also, it should ideally work. 

So for example:

U-verse router:

DHCP pool 192.168.0.254 - 192.168.254.253

Gateawy: 192.168.254.254

Subnet: 255.255.0.0

Your firewall:

DHCP pool 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.253

Gateway: 192.168.2.254

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I am not sure about this setup, but that is the only thing I can think of to make it work with the current equipment.

Ideally, the best thing to do is get an enterprise router and setup VLANs.

Other than that, I would just have your LAN, besides the U-verse receivers if you have TV, all run off your firewall.

Hope this helps.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi gow75,

I am thinking this should be possible if you can expand your subnet on our router, but this may lead to conflicts. If you setup the LAN DHCP pool to encompass your firewall also, it should ideally work. 

So for example:

U-verse router:

DHCP pool 192.168.0.254 - 192.168.254.253

Gateawy: 192.168.254.254

Subnet: 255.255.0.0

Your firewall:

DHCP pool 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.253

Gateway: 192.168.2.254

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I am not sure about this setup, but that is the only thing I can think of to make it work with the current equipment.

Ideally, the best thing to do is get an enterprise router and setup VLANs.

Other than that, I would just have your LAN, besides the U-verse receivers if you have TV, all run off your firewall.

Hope this helps.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: connecting 2 different network subnets

2 of 6 (171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 10:30:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks david i will give that a whirl but i think i tried this before and it didnt work but i will try again.  also i was wrong both the ATT gateway which is model 3801HGV has a setting to do a router to router config will this work maybe , i tried with no difference. any input appreciated.

Thanks david i will give that a whirl but i think i tried this before and it didnt work but i will try again.  also i was wrong both the ATT gateway which is model 3801HGV has a setting to do a router to router config will this work maybe , i tried with no difference. any input appreciated.

3 of 6 (127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 11:07:50 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi gow75,

The router behind router settings will not produce the desired results, and for router behind router configuration, I would suggest just manually configuring as you have done. I did find a resolution for your issue, but it will require a 3rd party router. You just need to find a router that supports NAT reflection and it will produce the desired results.

-David T

Hi gow75,

The router behind router settings will not produce the desired results, and for router behind router configuration, I would suggest just manually configuring as you have done. I did find a resolution for your issue, but it will require a 3rd party router. You just need to find a router that supports NAT reflection and it will produce the desired results.

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 12:16:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

so i would need to have the ATT gateway -  Smoothwall firewall\router and a 3rd party router. ? i forgot to mention that my router behind the att gateway is a simple hp old desktop with Smoothwall latest edition firewall installed yes it is a router/firewall/vpn etc. 

so i would need to have the ATT gateway -  Smoothwall firewall\router and a 3rd party router. ? i forgot to mention that my router behind the att gateway is a simple hp old desktop with Smoothwall latest edition firewall installed yes it is a router/firewall/vpn etc. 

5 of 6 (116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 1:08:34 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hopefully, your Smoothwall firewall/router has that option. But if not, you possibly may need all 3 devices unless you can find a device that is capable of that and the features that you have from your Smoothwall firewall.

-David T

Hopefully, your Smoothwall firewall/router has that option. But if not, you possibly may need all 3 devices unless you can find a device that is capable of that and the features that you have from your Smoothwall firewall.

-David T

6 of 6 (111 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments