Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 15, 2013
5:18:17 PM
changing password for router

Have been looking at how to change name and password for router, have half the apartment complex using my wireless connection. Not able to access the http://192.168.1.254 as instructed on ATT website....help please. 

Thanks

Have been looking at how to change name and password for router, have half the apartment complex using my wireless connection. Not able to access the http://192.168.1.254 as instructed on ATT website....help please. 

Thanks

changing password for router

10 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 6:10:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DianaKH Photos - I clicked on the link you provided & went to my RG. Is your computer on a different subnet? Connect it direct to the RG.
DianaKH Photos - I clicked on the link you provided & went to my RG. Is your computer on a different subnet? Connect it direct to the RG.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: changing password for router

2 of 11 (925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 6:23:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

I use Google, what and where should I be? I tried my own link, just takes me to several websites that address how to change but not RG...and I don't know what that means. Sorry....really novice here.  

I use Google, what and where should I be? I tried my own link, just takes me to several websites that address how to change but not RG...and I don't know what that means. Sorry....really novice here.  

3 of 11 (923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 6:39:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Here is where it takes you  - click on the icon to the left of wireless to change wireless settings

Here is where it takes you  - click on the icon to the left of wireless to change wireless settings

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 6:46:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Please tell me what RG means.  I tried the link again, Google is not able to find it. I have been at this for about 3 hours, getting frustrated, I can see where I need to go to change it but don't know how to get there.  I have entered the address manually in the address box, get several websites listing the link but none of them go to link.  

Is it a true website or is it part of my computer software? 

Please tell me what RG means.  I tried the link again, Google is not able to find it. I have been at this for about 3 hours, getting frustrated, I can see where I need to go to change it but don't know how to get there.  I have entered the address manually in the address box, get several websites listing the link but none of them go to link.  

Is it a true website or is it part of my computer software? 

5 of 11 (906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 7:01:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
RG is the remote Gateway - the modem/router.

The software is inside the RG.

I too am using google chrome - no problem.

What happens if you click on the actual image you posted - that is what I did.

All I could suggest is you reboot your RG by pulling the plug. You ARE connected directly to the RG.
RG is the remote Gateway - the modem/router.

The software is inside the RG.

I too am using google chrome - no problem.

What happens if you click on the actual image you posted - that is what I did.

All I could suggest is you reboot your RG by pulling the plug. You ARE connected directly to the RG.

6 of 11 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 7:04:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

I will reboot. I did try the link I posted, several times, not able to locate or gave me websites that were advertising services

I will reboot. I did try the link I posted, several times, not able to locate or gave me websites that were advertising services

7 of 11 (889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 7:43:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Rebooted my system, still same problem.  Have read some other forum postings from 2011 about the same problem so I don't feel quite so stupid.  

Could it be my computer settings are not allowing the site access? Or firewall? 

If I call customer service, could they help figure out how to change my password so I am not sharing with all my neighbors? 

Rebooted my system, still same problem.  Have read some other forum postings from 2011 about the same problem so I don't feel quite so stupid.  

Could it be my computer settings are not allowing the site access? Or firewall? 

If I call customer service, could they help figure out how to change my password so I am not sharing with all my neighbors? 

8 of 11 (870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 6:54:38 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by bauwls on Jan 16, 2013 at 6:56:07 AM

So, the issue is not being able to access your RG's interface of 192.168.1.254 to change the wifi pw. There are different types of services with U-verse. Can you find a model on your modem? A few model types are 2wire i38HG, 2wire 3800, 2wire 3801, motorolla nvg510.

Go to Internet explorer and press Control+o. Type homeportal and press OK.

If that doesn't work, a factory reset is required. I can't give you instructions on that unless I know the model of your equipment.

So, the issue is not being able to access your RG's interface of 192.168.1.254 to change the wifi pw. There are different types of services with U-verse. Can you find a model on your modem? A few model types are 2wire i38HG, 2wire 3800, 2wire 3801, motorolla nvg510.

Go to Internet explorer and press Control+o. Type homeportal and press OK.

If that doesn't work, a factory reset is required. I can't give you instructions on that unless I know the model of your equipment.

[ Edited ]
9 of 11 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 10:00:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Try just typing Home in your address bar.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Try just typing Home in your address bar.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

10 of 11 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 8:11:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
did you ever find a solution I am having the same problem??
did you ever find a solution I am having the same problem??

11 of 11 (341 Views)