changed internet provider, now my wireless receiver won't connect

Contributor

changed internet provider, now my wireless receiver won't connect

I recently changed my internet provider (away from AT&T), and since that happened, my wireless receiver no longer connects to the Wireless Access Point (gets to the blue screen and the wheel spins forever).

I've restarted the gateway, WAP and receiver (in that order), but it still won't connect.

I'm assuming there's a setting either within the WAP or the modem that is necessary for this to work, but I've yet to have any luck figuring it out. 

Could anyone help? My modem is a Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580...

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: changed internet provider, now my wireless receiver won't connect

norris93 wrote:

I recently changed my internet provider (away from AT&T), and since that happened, my wireless receiver no longer connects to the Wireless Access Point (gets to the blue screen and the wheel spins forever).

I've restarted the gateway, WAP and receiver (in that order), but it still won't connect.

I'm assuming there's a setting either within the WAP or the modem that is necessary for this to work, but I've yet to have any luck figuring it out. 

Could anyone help? My modem is a Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580...

If you no longer have ATT Uverse, none of the ATT provided equipment will work.

Edit:  Are you saying you still have Uverse TV but changed internet?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

norris93 - You can't be the first person to have a wireless receiver(STB) with TV only. I believe I have seen that the WAP needs access to port 443 on the modem (RG). Maybe this somehow crosses over to the internet side. Maybe att needs to change someting on how it accesses the port 443. You did not connect the WAP to the new provider modem??

You shoud call in. Att should be able to test remotely to see what is going on. You shopuld also try a cat5 connection to the problematic STB.

See more here - https://www.att.com/global-search/search.jsp#!/Support/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
Contributor

skeeterintexas wrote:

That's correct. I still have U-verse TV service, and all the wired receivers work fine. The Wireless Access Point is still AT&T, it's just connected to my new modem rather than the previous AT&T one.

Message 4 of 7
Contributor

aviewer wrote:

norris93 - You can't be the first person to have a wireless receiver(STB) with TV only. I believe I have seen that the WAP needs access to port 443 on the modem (RG). Maybe this somehow crosses over to the internet side. Maybe att needs to change someting on how it accesses the port 443. You did not connect the WAP to the new provider modem??

You shoud call in. Att should be able to test remotely to see what is going on. You shopuld also try a cat5 connection to the problematic STB.

See more here - https://www.att.com/global-search/search.jsp#!/Support/

Thanks! I'm positive it's something as simple as updating a port or something like that. I called AT&T yesterday, but they wanted to send a technician out to fix it, and with my work schedule, that's not the most convenient of solutions.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 7
Mentor

Try connecting the WAP to the AT&T gateway, which should be what your wired receivers are connected to. The wireless STB needs to connect to the U-verse service, not to your new Internet provider.

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Guru

norris93 wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

That's correct. I still have U-verse TV service, and all the wired receivers work fine. The Wireless Access Point is still AT&T, it's just connected to my new modem rather than the previous AT&T one.

It has to be connected to the uverse RG to work.

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support