Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 15, 2013
7:57:19 AM
View profile
changed internet provider, now my wireless receiver won't connect

I recently changed my internet provider (away from AT&T), and since that happened, my wireless receiver no longer connects to the Wireless Access Point (gets to the blue screen and the wheel spins forever).

I've restarted the gateway, WAP and receiver (in that order), but it still won't connect.

I'm assuming there's a setting either within the WAP or the modem that is necessary for this to work, but I've yet to have any luck figuring it out. 

Could anyone help? My modem is a Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580...

I recently changed my internet provider (away from AT&T), and since that happened, my wireless receiver no longer connects to the Wireless Access Point (gets to the blue screen and the wheel spins forever).

I've restarted the gateway, WAP and receiver (in that order), but it still won't connect.

I'm assuming there's a setting either within the WAP or the modem that is necessary for this to work, but I've yet to have any luck figuring it out. 

changed internet provider, now my wireless receiver won't connect

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 8:14:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:19:14 AM

norris93 wrote:

If you no longer have ATT Uverse, none of the ATT provided equipment will work.

Edit:  Are you saying you still have Uverse TV but changed internet?

norris93 wrote:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: changed internet provider, now my wireless receiver won't connect

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 8:29:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:31:07 AM

norris93 - You can't be the first person to have a wireless receiver(STB) with TV only. I believe I have seen that the WAP needs access to port 443 on the modem (RG). Maybe this somehow crosses over to the internet side. Maybe att needs to change someting on how it accesses the port 443. You did not connect the WAP to the new provider modem??

You shoud call in. Att should be able to test remotely to see what is going on. You shopuld also try a cat5 connection to the problematic STB.

See more here - https://www.att.com/global-search/search.jsp#!/Support/

norris93 - You can't be the first person to have a wireless receiver(STB) with TV only. I believe I have seen that the WAP needs access to port 443 on the modem (RG). Maybe this somehow crosses over to the internet side. Maybe att needs to change someting on how it accesses the port 443. You did not connect the WAP to the new provider modem??

You shoud call in. Att should be able to test remotely to see what is going on. You shopuld also try a cat5 connection to the problematic STB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 8:32:17 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by norris93 on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:53:50 AM

skeeterintexas wrote:

That's correct. I still have U-verse TV service, and all the wired receivers work fine. The Wireless Access Point is still AT&T, it's just connected to my new modem rather than the previous AT&T one.

skeeterintexas wrote:

That's correct. I still have U-verse TV service, and all the wired receivers work fine. The Wireless Access Point is still AT&T, it's just connected to my new modem rather than the previous AT&T one.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 8:34:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

aviewer wrote:

Thanks! I'm positive it's something as simple as updating a port or something like that. I called AT&T yesterday, but they wanted to send a technician out to fix it, and with my work schedule, that's not the most convenient of solutions.

Thanks again!

aviewer wrote:

Thanks! I'm positive it's something as simple as updating a port or something like that. I called AT&T yesterday, but they wanted to send a technician out to fix it, and with my work schedule, that's not the most convenient of solutions.

Thanks again!

5 of 7 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:49:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

Try connecting the WAP to the AT&T gateway, which should be what your wired receivers are connected to. The wireless STB needs to connect to the U-verse service, not to your new Internet provider.

Try connecting the WAP to the AT&T gateway, which should be what your wired receivers are connected to. The wireless STB needs to connect to the U-verse service, not to your new Internet provider.

6 of 7 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 1:50:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

norris93 wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

It has to be connected to the uverse RG to work.

norris93 wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

It has to be connected to the uverse RG to work.

7 of 7 (217 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments