Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 10, 2014
9:54:17 PM
View profile
can't send a reply to an email-"cannot send message using the server plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com"

My  yahoo email id was merged with my att email id years ago.  I had no issues accessing my mail until this last week.   Now it takes forever (or not at all)  to send a "reply to" email to a sender, especially if it contains the original message of the sender or if my reply contains more than a few words.   If I wait long enough, the message will be sent, or I might get the message "cannot send message using the server plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com: (my yahoo id).   The problem is less evident if  I compose an entirely new or short message.

I've already changed my password successfully through att.net website, so I don't have problems accessing my inbox.     I don't know if this has anything to do with recent hacking of yahoo mail (I haven't  noticed any other weird activity)...  OR is it an issue with att & their server?   Any solutions?  I've already wasted a lot of time trying to figure this one out.  

My  yahoo email id was merged with my att email id years ago.  I had no issues accessing my mail until this last week.   Now it takes forever (or not at all)  to send a "reply to" email to a sender, especially if it contains the original message of the sender or if my reply contains more than a few words.   If I wait long enough, the message will be sent, or I might get the message "cannot send message using the server plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com: (my yahoo id).   The problem is less evident if  I compose an entirely new or short message.

I've already changed my password successfully through att.net website, so I don't have problems accessing my inbox.     I don't know if this has anything to do with recent hacking of yahoo mail (I haven't  noticed any other weird activity)...  OR is it an issue with att & their server?   Any solutions?  I've already wasted a lot of time trying to figure this one out.  

can't send a reply to an email-"cannot send message using the server plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com"

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 3:13:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Are you using web mail or a local email client on your computer.  If your using an email client, which one?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Are you using web mail or a local email client on your computer.  If your using an email client, which one?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: can't send a reply to an email-"cannot send message using the server plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.c

2 of 6 (828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 7:33:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

Not sure what you mean .    I use mac mail v.4.6 mostly & occasionally att yahoo mail, not outlook, and use my yahoo address 99% of the time for email.

Not sure what you mean .    I use mac mail v.4.6 mostly & occasionally att yahoo mail, not outlook, and use my yahoo address 99% of the time for email.

Re: can't send a reply to an email-"cannot send message using the server plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.c

3 of 6 (805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 8:02:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've also tried trashing the outgoing mail from the mail library and re-sending the message...still no luck.  The system still tries to send with no avail.

I've also tried trashing the outgoing mail from the mail library and re-sending the message...still no luck.  The system still tries to send with no avail.

4 of 6 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 3:08:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

See if this helps:

Mac Mail Setup For U-verse

1. Open Apple Mail.
  2. Click on the Mail menu.
  3. Click on Preferences.
  4. To create a new account, click the + in the bottom left-hand corner of the Accounts window.
  5. Enter your name as you want it to appear in the From field in an email, into the Full Name field.
  6. Type your full email address, including the domain name in the Email Address block. Note:  If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the alias email address in this field. 
  7. Type in your password in the Password field.
  8. Click the Continue button.
  9. Choose POP from the Account Type pop-up menu (it should be set as default).
  10. Enter a name for your account in the Account Description field.
  11. In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server field, type pop.att.yahoo.com.
  12. Type your full email address including the domain name in the User Name field. Note: If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the full email address of the ID (Primary or Sub Account) associated with the email alias in this field. Do not input the email alias address in this field.
  13. Type your password in the Password field.
  14. Click the Continue button.
  15. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server field, type smtp.att.yahoo.com.
  16. Click the Continue button.
  17. Check the box for Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).  Click the Continue button.
  18. Click the Continue button.
  19. Click the Create button.
  20. On the Accounts window, next to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) use the drop down to select Edit Server.
  21. This is where you will set the server specific settings.
    • Enter in server port 465 Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
    • The Authentication field should be set for Password
    • The User Name
    • The Password
  22. Select OK when done.
  23. Click on Advanced up top.
    • Enter in server port 995 Use SSL
    • The User Name
    • The Password
  24. Click the red Close button in the upper left-hand corner of the Accounts window.

If you still have issues after doing the above try this:

Sometimes, the webmail login blocks 3rd party email programs from connecting. The reason for this is that a captcha, the funny shapes and letters, code is required during the webmail login. Because in this case, Outlook and MacMail does not have the ability to send that, it automatically fails to authenticate.

To get around this, you have to verify login on both sites:

1) Go to att.net and choose mail and login from there. Logout after you were able to successfully login.

2) Go to mail.yahoo.com and login from there.

Then try your Mac Mail and see if it works.

See if this helps:

Mac Mail Setup For U-verse

1. Open Apple Mail.
  2. Click on the Mail menu.
  3. Click on Preferences.
  4. To create a new account, click the + in the bottom left-hand corner of the Accounts window.
  5. Enter your name as you want it to appear in the From field in an email, into the Full Name field.
  6. Type your full email address, including the domain name in the Email Address block. Note:  If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the alias email address in this field. 
  7. Type in your password in the Password field.
  8. Click the Continue button.
  9. Choose POP from the Account Type pop-up menu (it should be set as default).
  10. Enter a name for your account in the Account Description field.
  11. In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server field, type pop.att.yahoo.com.
  12. Type your full email address including the domain name in the User Name field. Note: If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the full email address of the ID (Primary or Sub Account) associated with the email alias in this field. Do not input the email alias address in this field.
  13. Type your password in the Password field.
  14. Click the Continue button.
  15. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server field, type smtp.att.yahoo.com.
  16. Click the Continue button.
  17. Check the box for Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).  Click the Continue button.
  18. Click the Continue button.
  19. Click the Create button.
  20. On the Accounts window, next to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) use the drop down to select Edit Server.
  21. This is where you will set the server specific settings.
    • Enter in server port 465 Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
    • The User Name
    • The Password
  22. Select OK when done.
  23. Click on Advanced up top.
    • Enter in server port 995 Use SSL
    • The User Name
    • The Password
  24. Click the red Close button in the upper left-hand corner of the Accounts window.

If you still have issues after doing the above try this:

Sometimes, the webmail login blocks 3rd party email programs from connecting. The reason for this is that a captcha, the funny shapes and letters, code is required during the webmail login. Because in this case, Outlook and MacMail does not have the ability to send that, it automatically fails to authenticate.

To get around this, you have to verify login on both sites:

1) Go to att.net and choose mail and login from there. Logout after you were able to successfully login.

2) Go to mail.yahoo.com and login from there.

Then try your Mac Mail and see if it works.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (775 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 9:52:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

This seems to have worked, although I had to tweak the solution.  My original incoming server is plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and the outgoing server is plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com: (my email identity).  It was the outgoing server that was sometimes causing problems, as I was receiving email w/o problems.  Adding a new account generated a n IMAP account type.  I entered pop.att.yahoo.com for the incoming mail server  and smtp.att.yahoo.comSmiley Sadwhole email address) as suggested.  The end result was 2 incoming mail servers, one of which was constantly spinning to get email.  I deleted the new account, but for some reason the new outgoing server was retained,  and I now have 2 outgoing servers to choose from. The new outgoing server worked successfully to forward an email with a fill in form that  was causing difficulty with the old outgoing server.  So thank you!  I assume there should be no problems keeping both outgoing servers??

This seems to have worked, although I had to tweak the solution.  My original incoming server is plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and the outgoing server is plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com: (my email identity).  It was the outgoing server that was sometimes causing problems, as I was receiving email w/o problems.  Adding a new account generated a n IMAP account type.  I entered pop.att.yahoo.com for the incoming mail server  and smtp.att.yahoo.comSmiley Sadwhole email address) as suggested.  The end result was 2 incoming mail servers, one of which was constantly spinning to get email.  I deleted the new account, but for some reason the new outgoing server was retained,  and I now have 2 outgoing servers to choose from. The new outgoing server worked successfully to forward an email with a fill in form that  was causing difficulty with the old outgoing server.  So thank you!  I assume there should be no problems keeping both outgoing servers??

6 of 6 (690 Views)