adding wireless n router to 2Wire 3800HGV RG

Contributor

adding wireless n router to 2Wire 3800HGV RG

Long time Uverse customer, since Uverse was introduced to south Texas. Have the 3800 RG, three STBs, and have been using the RG's wireless. My home wireless load has increased to the point now that I bought a Linksys E3000 b/g/n router to help add capacity (at times, when the kids are all here, supporting 5 phones, 4 ipads, 3-4 laptops, etc.

What I thought I really wanted to do was to use the RG as a modem and the new router as the DHCP server and wireless access point. After reading a lot of posts, it appears that the RG really needs to be the DHCP server because the TV STBs feed off it, and I'm okay with that.

I have tried to get it working over the past day with no luck, so I'm coming to the board to ask for some really clear and simple language to get this setup working.

My RG is using IP 192.168.1.254, and is set to use the range from 192.168.1.64 to .253  When I go in and look, the IPs that are assigned to devices range from the 64-76 ish.

The linksys router out of the box has DHCP enabled, and has a default IP of 192.168.1.1

On the back of the Linksys router there is one plug for Internet (which I think is WAN) and four for LAN. 

My RG has four LAN slots, with two being used (one hardwire connection to my Mac mini and one hardwire to my Internet connected printer. Once the new router is set up I will probably move those connections from the RG to the new router. I also have a terabyte drive that will plug into the new router's USB port.

What I thought I needed to do is go into the Linksys and disable the DHCP. As I understand, the IP address of the Linksys itself needs to be outside of the range of IPs used by the RG (.64-.254), and since it is, I don't think I have to change it.

I then wire from the Linksys LAN to RG LAN, and go into the RG management and turn off wireless. When I look at the IP assignements, I see that the RG has assigned the Linksys the IP of 192.168.1.79

My computers can see the Linksys, and can connect to it, but can't get internet pages.

I would greatly appreciate a step by step, in simple, non tech language, of what I need to do to get this working....

I have read many o the posts and I think I have tried a lot of the solutions, but still can't get it to work.

thanks, in advance, to anyone who helps out.

Bob

Message 1 of 21 (61,295 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: adding Airport Extreme to 2Wire 3800HGV RG

DHCP cannot be turned off on our router.  Disable DHCP on your linksys, and disable the SSID broadcast on ours.  Plug an ethernet from our router to yours, but into an ethernet port, not the Internet port.  Done it too many times.

Message 16 of 21 (25,619 Views)
Teacher

Re: adding Airport Extreme to 2Wire 3800HGV RG

If using an AirPort from Apple, use the AirPort Utility app to set it up in bridged mode, and disable the SSID broadcast on ours.  Apple makes things so simple!

Message 17 of 21 (25,618 Views)

Re: Configure WNDR3700 (N600) router on a 2Wire 3600HGV

DavidCS wrote:

Hi T4 In Rockwall,

I am sorry you are having this issue with your wireless receivers. The only things I can think of that may be causing this issue are

1. Your ASUS and 2wire are on the same NAT (192.168.1.x) causing routing conflicts
  2. Your connecting the WAP through the ASUS router. If so, please connect it directly to the U-verse router.

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of that might help is to create a static forwarding rule that forwards all traffic from the 192.168.1.x range from the ASUS router to the U-verse router.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

@DavidCS, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be trying them when I get a chance, which will probably come on a weekend. I've tried things like this before and had to get a technician out to get my wireless receivers back online. I'm a little raw at using the terminology and logging onto the router online, etc. I appreciate the help and will post back whether or not this fixes me up.

Message 18 of 21 (25,383 Views)
Community Support

Sounds great. If you do run into any troubles, always feel free to post, and I am confident that all of us in the community will be able to help get this fixed for you.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 21 (25,266 Views)

I posted this same question in a different topic, but I haven't got any response, maybe you guys can help me here.

I have the 3800-HGVB RG and wanted to get a faster wireless network, so I bought a D-Link 826L dual band router, and set it up in AP mode. I tried doing it with the WAN port as a real router (DMZPlus option), but I was never able to get my firewall settings to open the needed ports correctly, so I gave up and went the other route, which I must say, went without a breeze and everything was connected perfectly. My firewall still works perfect and all my devices connect without any problem.

However... I made some tests and it turns out, streaming to an apple TV and to an android box, using XBMC, was way way faster with the wireless G network of the uverse RG, that with any of the two networks from the new DLink (2G and 5G). For instance, the time it took to start a movie using the uverse router was about 1 min 40 secs; and I was never able to get the same movie started with any of the other networks, in both devices sooner than 3 mins, sometimes more than that.

Do you have any idea why is that? The two routers are next to each other, and really not too far from the room with the TV, actually, the apple TV says the signal is excellent when I connect to either router. I tried different channels, different security methods, and other things, but nothing made it faster.

I wonder if somebody has any advice. Thanks very much.

Message 20 of 21 (17,251 Views)
Community Support

Hi ponchomoran,

One thing worth trying is to connect some devices via Ethernet cable to see if it still has problems. If not, then there is an issue with the wireless and the settings just might need to be fine tuned a little more. If it still does, it may be worth trying to factory reset the D-Link router.

Hope this helps.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 21 (17,210 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.