Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 22, 2013
2:57:50 PM
adding roku

How can I connect my ROKU and the DVR to a switch without losing connection to my other STB which is wireless?

What happens is... if I connect the DVR (in the living room) and the Roku box thru the switch... the STB in the bedroom quits working.

It says it lost connection.

How can I connect my ROKU and the DVR to a switch without losing connection to my other STB which is wireless?

What happens is... if I connect the DVR (in the living room) and the Roku box thru the switch... the STB in the bedroom quits working.

It says it lost connection.

adding roku

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 3:38:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You should not have a device which connects to the internet (i.e. Roku) and a U-verse receiver on the the same switch.

You should not have a device which connects to the internet (i.e. Roku) and a U-verse receiver on the the same switch.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: adding roku

2 of 14 (871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 5:24:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does that mean that I can't use the Roku if I have UVerse??

Does that mean that I can't use the Roku if I have UVerse??

3 of 14 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 6:10:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jun 22, 2013 at 6:17:01 PM

No, that is not what it means.  Many U-verse users have a Roku box.  It means that a device that that connects to the internet and a U-verse receiver should not be connected to the the same switch. You can connect the Roku directly to the U-verse gateway or another switch which is not shared with a U-verse receiver.

By the way, what is the WAP used by the wireless STB connected to?

No, that is not what it means.  Many U-verse users have a Roku box.  It means that a device that that connects to the internet and a U-verse receiver should not be connected to the the same switch. You can connect the Roku directly to the U-verse gateway or another switch which is not shared with a U-verse receiver.

By the way, what is the WAP used by the wireless STB connected to?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 6:35:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

Isn't the ROKU wireless?

Isn't the ROKU wireless?

5 of 14 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 7:15:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Don_H wrote:

Isn't the ROKU wireless?

It can be used either wired or wireless.

Don_H wrote:

Isn't the ROKU wireless?

It can be used either wired or wireless.

6 of 14 (786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2013 6:44:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

I will try to explain how everything is hooked up.

By Gateway, I am assuming you mean the 2Wire 3800HGV-B.

The gateway sets on my desk in the den.

There are 3 cables plugged into it...

One is the in the PHONELINE port...

A CAT6 cable is plugged into a "LOCAL ETHERNET" port and runs to the WEST wall of my living room where the DVR is located...

One other CAT6 cable (also in a port labeled "LOCAL ETHERNET" goes to an 8 port Netgear switch.

There are only 2 other CAT6 cables plugged into the switch.

One is for my main computer and the other one runs to the NORTH wall of my living room where the WAP is connected.

I wanted to have a switch on the CAT6 cable on the WEST wall of my living room... which is where the ROKU box is.

That is where I am running into trouble.

When I do that... I lose connection to the STB in the bedroom...and the DVR gets real sluggish and erratic.

I will try to explain how everything is hooked up.

By Gateway, I am assuming you mean the 2Wire 3800HGV-B.

The gateway sets on my desk in the den.

There are 3 cables plugged into it...

One is the in the PHONELINE port...

A CAT6 cable is plugged into a "LOCAL ETHERNET" port and runs to the WEST wall of my living room where the DVR is located...

One other CAT6 cable (also in a port labeled "LOCAL ETHERNET" goes to an 8 port Netgear switch.

There are only 2 other CAT6 cables plugged into the switch.

One is for my main computer and the other one runs to the NORTH wall of my living room where the WAP is connected.

I wanted to have a switch on the CAT6 cable on the WEST wall of my living room... which is where the ROKU box is.

That is where I am running into trouble.

When I do that... I lose connection to the STB in the bedroom...and the DVR gets real sluggish and erratic.

7 of 14 (751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 5:29:35 PM
(0)
Guru
Like Don_H was hinting towards, why not just set up the ROKU wirelessly?

Of course a wired connection is always more reliable than a wireless one, but in this case it would probably be a better idea to go wireless than mess with your DVR wiring or running a new line from your gateway to the ROKU

Of course a wired connection is always more reliable than a wireless one, but in this case it would probably be a better idea to go wireless than mess with your DVR wiring or running a new line from your gateway to the ROKU

8 of 14 (643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 9:19:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mikedamirault wrote:

I run 2 ROKU devices wirelessly with no issues.  Only one has the ability to be wired, the other is strictly wireless.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

mikedamirault wrote:

I run 2 ROKU devices wirelessly with no issues.  Only one has the ability to be wired, the other is strictly wireless.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

9 of 14 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 12:43:31 PM
(0)
Guru
Yeah, I don't have a Roku, but I do have an Apple TV, I have mine set up wirelessly with no issues at all
Yeah, I don't have a Roku, but I do have an Apple TV, I have mine set up wirelessly with no issues at all

10 of 14 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 7:56:26 AM
(0)
Guru

It could be because the switch he is trying to use isn't capable of handling the data throughput load.  Some of the cheap Ethernet switches can't handle the load.

It could be because the switch he is trying to use isn't capable of handling the data throughput load.  Some of the cheap Ethernet switches can't handle the load.

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

11 of 14 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 12:58:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Could you tell us the manufacturer/model number of the "switch" that you're plugging the DVR and Roku into?

Could you tell us the manufacturer/model number of the "switch" that you're plugging the DVR and Roku into?

12 of 14 (375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 2:38:11 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by oz_1 on Jul 17, 2013 at 2:39:56 PM

See this alot the switch needs to be 802.1p compliant and Netgear would be my go to for a switch.

See this alot the switch needs to be 802.1p compliant and Netgear would be my go to for a switch.

[ Edited ]
13 of 14 (361 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 3:08:47 PM
(0)
Tutor
I really wanted it hard wired, but I finally set it up to use wireless...
It is working fine.
I really wanted it hard wired, but I finally set it up to use wireless...
It is working fine.

14 of 14 (325 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments