Ask a question

Posted Jul 22, 2013
    1:55:57 AM
    View profile
    Zoom menu to adjust screen between old and new movies

On the silver remote, the "zoom" button is on the bottom right It is needed because older and newer movies have different formats.

But, when I press "zoom", I see the following menu (and it keeps getting longer):

Favorites list

Add to favorites

Edit/Add Favorites

Audio Language

Closed Captions

Zoom

Channel Search

To get to "zoom", I now have to click down 6 times before I can open the zoom menu. And that is the only of these features which I use on any regular basis.

This is poor design. When the button says "zoom", the first entry on the resulting menu should be "zoom".

Assuming that ATT is indifferent to such things, is there a work around? I could fiddle with my TV's remote; or I could get another carrier.

This is insanity. I am switching screen sizes 2-4 times each evening.

Zoom menu to adjust screen between old and new movies

2 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (2)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 22, 2013 4:19:52 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by aviewer on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:02:46 AM

sfbaywalk - I feel your pain. When you do something you want to minimize clicks. In my case I am looking for one button favorites. I was three button & now the ENTER/ZOOM path does not work at all.

A work around for you to try - I just had the DVR replaced & the installer automatically set the Zoom to stretch. I was thinking he may have done it to prevent complaints about the picture not filling the screen.

This shows how usability analysis needs to be done on any change. I agree that the Zoom function should be first on the list of the Zoom button.

The favorites should have two aspects - A setup step under the main menu to apply the tavorutes flter to the guide button - Well I guess it only needs one thing if it is what I just said. If that is not done then the second choice would be to swap GUIDE and Favorites on the main MENU to give favorites two click access guide does not need to be  first on the list because it has it's own button.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Zoom menu to adjust screen between old and new movies

[ Edited ]
    2 of 3 (261 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 22, 2013 7:48:22 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by sfbaywalk on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:50:46 AM

Do you mean "stretch" which distorts the old movies? -- I can't do that to old movies. But I'll check out what you mean.

Right now, it takes 11 clicks to switch from one format to the other.

The irony is that the TV receives the signal information to be able to maximally expand the image while never cropping or distorting the image. And the manufacturers don't make make use of the signal data.

Re: Zoom menu to adjust screen between old and new movies

[ Edited ]
    3 of 3 (220 Views)