Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this again

Tutor

Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this again

What is causing Yahoo to reject the password for my secondary email account? I have had AT&T "repair" or correct the problem three times. The last time was a few hours ago. How does it get fixed and who can fix it so it stays that way?

Sarge

Message 1 of 35 (9,081 Views)
Professor

Re: Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this

Have you tried changing your password? There was a recent incident of user name and password hacking involving Yahoo mail.

Read more here. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-yahoo-looks-into-reports-of-security-breach-2012...

Message 2 of 35 (8,907 Views)

Re: Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this

jfw wrote:

Have you tried changing your password? There was a recent incident of user name and password hacking involving Yahoo mail.

Read more here. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-yahoo-looks-into-reports-of-security-breach-2012...

I remember hearing about that, but to be at risk from that hack you had to be registered on Yahoo Contributer Network and used your Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc. ID to register, instead of creating a unique one strictly for the YCN. Technically, it was not an email hack, they hacked in to one of Yahoo's servers and stole an older file with user names and passwords, many of which were the user's email user name because of the way they registered for the YCN, and quite often the user's email password because the user was to lazy to create a new one. The main point (according to the hackers) was to expose how many weak passwords are out there, and not for personal gain, but only time will tell on that part.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 3 of 35 (8,864 Views)
Tutor

"Have you tried changing your password?"

Yes, more than once

Message 4 of 35 (8,864 Views)

How do you get your Email?

I use Outlook and regularly (at least every month or so), randomly, one of my 5 email subaccounts will refuse to accept my password. Sometimes it's only for a few minutes, sometimes for hours or even a day, but eventually it starts working again. It is always a subaccount and nothing is changed before the problem, and nothing short of changing your password (or just waiting) solves the problem. Oddly enough, the account is available if you go to the website and log in (not locked out).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 5 of 35 (8,857 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Odd;y emough you mentioning the problem sometimes fixes itself. I can now use both accounts, but have done nothing this time to try and solve the problem.  I can hardly wait for it to act up again.

Sarge

Message 6 of 35 (8,825 Views)

Yup, next time it happens save yourself the headache of calling in or changing your password and just wait. If you're waiting on an important email and don't have time, just go to the website and check your mail there. Your email client will start working again on it's own.

Message 7 of 35 (8,783 Views)
Mentor

Looks like Yahoo's down again.. One of the worst things ATT did was switch to Yahoo for email.. 

Message 8 of 35 (8,692 Views)
Teacher

Ditto here.  Been getting the same error msg for the past half hour: "Server not ready.  Please try again after sometime."  at&t = unreliable.

Message 9 of 35 (8,680 Views)
Contributor

att/yahoo email down for the last 3 hours. Happens frequently.  So fed up with the quality of internet service & signal provided by UVerse in East Cobb County Georgia.

Message 10 of 35 (8,665 Views)
Master

Message 11 of 35 (8,654 Views)
Former Community Manager

If you're having trouble accessing your email, please take a look at this link for assistance with resetting your password: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413495

If you did not enter an alternate email and Zip Code when you created your email account or you do not recall these details you must create a new email account. We are not able to reset passwords for email accounts without one or both of those pieces of information as they verify that you are the owner of the account.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 35 (8,654 Views)
Mentor

From what I've seen happen it's got nothing to do with my password needing to be changed..  I did that before with no better  results..  If you just wait an hour or two your email starts working again..  It's just the sorry Yahoo email service that ATT switched to a few years back.. This also happen to me when I just had DSL service..  I thinking about switching over to G-Mail.

Message 13 of 35 (8,653 Views)
Expert

Message 14 of 35 (8,655 Views)

[ Edited ]

The outage/inaccessability is a seperate (and hopefully temporary) issue. The problem with rejected passwords on subaccounts with POP access is a different problem altogether, and has been ongoing for at least 4 or 5 years on both DSL and Uverse Internet. Not sure, but I believe the start coincided with the switch to SSL or maybe the consolodation of mail servers. The servers just decide for some reason to reject a perfectly valid password, and some indeterminate time later decide to start accepting it. It's always a random subaccount, never the main account.

Message 15 of 35 (8,594 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.