Ask a question

Highlighted
Posted Jul 29, 2012
10:47:28 PM
Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this again

What is causing Yahoo to reject the password for my secondary email account? I have had AT&T "repair" or correct the problem three times. The last time was a few hours ago. How does it get fixed and who can fix it so it stays that way?

Sarge

Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this again

34 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 3:19:48 AM
(0)
Professor

Have you tried changing your password? There was a recent incident of user name and password hacking involving Yahoo mail.

Read more here. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-yahoo-looks-into-reports-of-security-breach-20120712,0,7095808.story

Re: Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this

2 of 35 (7,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 9:48:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jfw wrote:

Have you tried changing your password? There was a recent incident of user name and password hacking involving Yahoo mail.

Read more here. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-yahoo-looks-into-reports-of-security-breach-20120712,0,7095808.story

I remember hearing about that, but to be at risk from that hack you had to be registered on Yahoo Contributer Network and used your Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc. ID to register, instead of creating a unique one strictly for the YCN. Technically, it was not an email hack, they hacked in to one of Yahoo's servers and stole an older file with user names and passwords, many of which were the user's email user name because of the way they registered for the YCN, and quite often the user's email password because the user was to lazy to create a new one. The main point (according to the hackers) was to expose how many weak passwords are out there, and not for personal gain, but only time will tell on that part.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Yahoo keep rejecting my email password? Uverse "fixed" several times.It is doing this

3 of 35 (7,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 10:15:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

"Have you tried changing your password?"

Yes, more than once

4 of 35 (7,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 11:38:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

How do you get your Email?

I use Outlook and regularly (at least every month or so), randomly, one of my 5 email subaccounts will refuse to accept my password. Sometimes it's only for a few minutes, sometimes for hours or even a day, but eventually it starts working again. It is always a subaccount and nothing is changed before the problem, and nothing short of changing your password (or just waiting) solves the problem. Oddly enough, the account is available if you go to the website and log in (not locked out).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 35 (7,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 2:15:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Odd;y emough you mentioning the problem sometimes fixes itself. I can now use both accounts, but have done nothing this time to try and solve the problem.  I can hardly wait for it to act up again.

Sarge

6 of 35 (7,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 4:15:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yup, next time it happens save yourself the headache of calling in or changing your password and just wait. If you're waiting on an important email and don't have time, just go to the website and check your mail there. Your email client will start working again on it's own.

neon_sign.jpg

7 of 35 (7,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 10:06:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

Looks like Yahoo's down again.. One of the worst things ATT did was switch to Yahoo for email.. 

8 of 35 (7,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 10:15:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ditto here.  Been getting the same error msg for the past half hour: "Server not ready.  Please try again after sometime."  at&t = unreliable.

9 of 35 (7,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 10:30:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

att/yahoo email down for the last 3 hours. Happens frequently.  So fed up with the quality of internet service & signal provided by UVerse in East Cobb County Georgia.

10 of 35 (7,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 12:14:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

11 of 35 (7,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 12:42:27 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

If you're having trouble accessing your email, please take a look at this link for assistance with resetting your password: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413495

If you did not enter an alternate email and Zip Code when you created your email account or you do not recall these details you must create a new email account. We are not able to reset passwords for email accounts without one or both of those pieces of information as they verify that you are the owner of the account.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 35 (7,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 1:08:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

From what I've seen happen it's got nothing to do with my password needing to be changed..  I did that before with no better  results..  If you just wait an hour or two your email starts working again..  It's just the sorry Yahoo email service that ATT switched to a few years back.. This also happen to me when I just had DSL service..  I thinking about switching over to G-Mail.

13 of 35 (7,741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 1:14:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

14 of 35 (7,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 5:56:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Aug 1, 2012 at 5:58:33 AM

The outage/inaccessability is a seperate (and hopefully temporary) issue. The problem with rejected passwords on subaccounts with POP access is a different problem altogether, and has been ongoing for at least 4 or 5 years on both DSL and Uverse Internet. Not sure, but I believe the start coincided with the switch to SSL or maybe the consolodation of mail servers. The servers just decide for some reason to reject a perfectly valid password, and some indeterminate time later decide to start accepting it. It's always a random subaccount, never the main account.

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
15 of 35 (7,682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 9:03:34 AM
(0)
Teacher

AT&T, I’m getting tired of these email error messages, which have become frequent over the past couple of weeks.  How about fixing your mailservers?

The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server not ready.  Please try again after sometime

“Server not ready. Please try again after sometime”

16 of 35 (7,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 5:41:45 PM
(0)
Expert

Looks like that's being worked on in this post.

Re: “Server not ready. Please try again after sometime”

17 of 35 (7,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 7:18:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I use the Yahoo mail, .Mac Mail and Gmail because you never know who will be down this way I will get or be able to send if its important plus there's always Messages on a Mac.

18 of 35 (7,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 12:43:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by bilb0 on Sep 28, 2012 at 12:44:44 PM

This is BOGUS treatment from ATT

I use Outlook 2010, but had this problem intermittantly all the way back to OL2K3

AT&T has their support so jacked up as soon as you mention ANY email client they try to PUNT you to Connect-Tech and try to charge you for the support.

ONLY TO FIND OUT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE CLIENT.

THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SBC.YAHOO SERVERS NOT WITH THE CLIENT!!!!!

Additionally, the support procedures tell you to log in via the web client and naturally the error does not occur.

THERE IS A VERY SPECIFIC TECHNICAL REASON FOR THIS.

Once you login, the web client will only check for mail when you tell it to check for mail by clicking the “check mail” button.

HOWEVER, the web client HAS NO CODE TO FIRE A MESSAGE RELATED TO THIS PROBLEM.

Consequently, it the problem happens to occur in this scenario, the customer would be blind to it, AND THERE IS NO LOGGING for webmail client errors!!!

Today, I managed to a supervisor in Tier II at AT&T to come on my box and showed him some CONCLUSIVE PROOF of the problem, and only after yelling to him did he agree to send a “report” to somebody.

HOWEVER, he still insisted on calling it an Outlook problem.

Oh, it is a perfect Catch-22.

They act like there is no problem because the webmail client does not fire the error but do not realize the webmail client is not capable of firing this error.

Plus, they are trained not to even listen to you as soon as you mention a “their party client”.

OK, so here is what we all need to do.

ENABLE LOGGING IN YOUR CLIENT.

BE AWARE, THE LOG FILE WILL GET OVER-WRITTEN EACH TIME YOU RE-OPEN OUTLOOK (NOT SURE ABOUT THUNDERBIRD).

Track down the the log file in your “AppData” folder.

C:\Users\YOUR USER ID\AppData\Local\Temp\outlook logging

You want the OPMLog.log file.

Pull a copy each time you close Outlook or it will get overwritten.

When you open the Log, search for “Server not ready”

When you find it, scroll up and look for a string that has “OK hello from popgate…”

This will be the server onto which your client attempted to login.

I virtually GUARANTEE You it will be a 2.48.1 server from “sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com”

Here is a list of the errors I’ve received in the last 1.5 days:

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop116.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop117.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop118.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop119.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop120.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop121.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop122.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop124.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop125.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop126.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop127.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop128.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop130.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

Many of these have fired the error multiple times.

For example, pop121 has fired it 5 times.

After the client transmits the user ID, the servers respond asking for the password.

The client sends the password and then the error is received BACK FROM THE SERVER:

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server not ready. Please try again after sometime

This is bad customer service from AT&T.

They are erroneously punting customers to a fee based support process THAT CANNOT POSSIBLY FIX THE PROBLEM.

Then angry customers are calling the provider of their client only to be told (correctly) it is a problem with the server.

We need to ALL ENABLE LOGGING AND CALL AT&T ANGRY that they will not fix the problem.

The problem is not necessarily limited to secondary accounts and changing the password will not fix the problem.

You may “think” it might be fixed but his is ONLY because you may briefly be hitting a server that does not have the problem.

Please understand, THERE ARE HUNDREDS, POSSIBLY THOUSANDS of Yahoo email servers.

Not all of them have the problem,

For example, notice in the list of servers above, the numeric designation of 2.48.1.

Some of the servers have a 0.8.0.357900 designation and I have not received the error from any of them.

ONLY FROM THE 2.48.1 servers and not even all of them have the problem.

I have my suspicions as to what the problem actually is, but cannot substantiate those suspicions so I will not prognosticate on that here.

The bottom line is, THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM with your clients.

THE PROBLEM IS ON THE 2.48.1 sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com servers.

WE have to flood them with WELL INFORMED complaints.

The only way you will be well informed is if you enable logging and see it for yourself.

[ Edited ]
19 of 35 (7,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 7:13:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Just wondering... have you seen this web page?  The server name you're showing in your log appears not to be the correct one.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570

20 of 35 (6,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 8:30:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks but not helpful and not the solution.

The servers on that article are generic server (actually router) settings and mine are correct.

What happens afterwards is the call is routed to other various actual servers.

It appears to be random, but I'm sure there is probably some method applied to it based on current traffic or other parameters.

So yes, even though I have the basic settings applied specified on the article, in actuality, the email is coming from (and going to) servers with other designations.

Have you ever analysed a log file or a net-trace?

To others who may vist this thread, please do not confuse the above, surely well intended, post as a solution.

It is not, although I'm sure the poster means well.

So the problem does surely still exist.

I just came home to a whole slew of more errors.

THIS IS NOT A CLIENT SIDE ISSUE.

IT IS A SERVER SIDE ISSUE!

21 of 35 (6,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 5:47:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'm sorry, did you actually post your client settings at some time so I would know what they were?

Reading from YOUR log:

POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop116.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

Yes, the actual mail server is at the end, which I've colored green.  However, the specified mail server is also listed in the log, in red.  This is not what is in the documentation I presented.

You may be right in that it is a server configuration problem.  However, I've learned to be sure my house is in perfect order before pointing the finger elsewhere.

One more piece of advice: don't take potshots at people who are trying to help, especially if you know nothing about their level of knowledge or experience.

22 of 35 (6,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 8:12:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well....as you are all aware....this problem has been going on for a long time.  In my case it started when I updated to Win 7 and lost the use of Outlook Express.  Now I'm using Windows Live Mail.....or sometimes....Gmail.  This failure of Yahoo Mail to recognize my I.D. and/or password is an on and off thing....as it is with other folks.  Right now everything is working OK.....It suddenly started working again with Live Mail yesterday A.M.  Gmail has been working fine for a couple of weeks now.   So I've got my fingers crossed.

I've been corresponding extensively with Alex on this problem via PM's.  Alex is pushing to get things fixed and/or find out what WE can do to solve it.

The ONLY reason I like to have access to Win Live Mail or Gmail is because I sometimes like to insert my photographic images right into the body of the message.  Along with comments.  Can't do that with Yahoo Mail.  Not allowed.  Can only attach image files.

But, for most simple messaging the Yahoo Mail client is just fine for me.  In the mean time....got my fingers crossed that the problem is finally corrected.  Time will tell.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

23 of 35 (6,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 4:59:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by bilb0 on Oct 1, 2012 at 5:16:29 PM

Hmmm, well, it seems I need to do some explaining.

First of all, I certainly apologize if you felt I was taking a “potshot” at you. It certainly was not my intent. Not again to be misconstrued, but I don’t take “potshots”.  If or when I feel it is necessary to take any kind of shot, they certainly are not the “potshot” variety. Fortunately, I have the ammunition, both in intellect and education, to afford that ability if or when the need arises.

Secondly, my credentials: I hold 17 different Microsoft Certifications, only 3 of which have fallen off the back (out of support). I’d list them here but I fear that only tends to open the door to distraction off topic and the common accusation; “Well, certifications don’t really mean you know what you’re doing”. While I admittedly have seen some holders of certs be fairly well uneducated, those prople are filtered out in the real world pretty quickly. Also, those people tend to have one or two certs, not 17. My certs run from the old Windows NT to Windows 7, from Exchange 2007 to 2010, from various office applications (MOS) from 2003 through 2010, from various SQL to Developer level.

Thirdly, I fully understand these are in theory “help” forums and it is certainly reasonable to assume a new poster to these forums might actually be seeking help. While I grant that people clearly come here for help, but I personally find the logic which leads one to that point to be fatally flawed and suspect that if or when someone actually gets help, it is probably accidentally or by sheer luck. Again, that is not a pot shot at you, or your skill sets and not to imply that you’ve not helped others, (1910 posts / 21 solutions = 1.09% success rate).  Based on my depth of experience in support, I am certain there are much more expedient and direct avenues of effective support.

Which might lead one to ask, “If I don’t think these forums carry a high degree of likelihood of success, why in the world did I come here for help?”

The short answer is, I didn’t come here seeking help. Although you did make some suggestions, if you peruse my original post, I think you’ll see that nowhere in it did I ever ask for any help or solution.

This is because I am 103% certain of where the problem lies and further that the problem is outside my personal control. I came here to provide my conclusive proof, and to provide other visitors with the knowledge it takes to get their individual conclusive proof, and to call them (however few there may be) to action against the true source of the problem. My hope being that several people might actually take the steps and make the calls. You may or may not know, but the truth is that within most credible support organizations, it takes surprisingly few upset people on a specific problem to raise internal awareness of the problem. Ironically, this is not always because the support organization actually desires to help the customer as much as it is to more effectively manage call times (problem calls take much longer to end and often involve a higher tier and/or a supervisor).

Now, getting to your suggestion,. The page you cite, offers what it calls “server settings”. For some smaller domains that may be an accurate term, however, in this case it is not. In this case, those are actually traffic routers.  For the client, the difference in terms is trivial and the end result is normally the same.

However, in problematic cases such as this, it certainly leads to confusion in that the actual problematic servers are more difficult to identify and requires client logging (unless the administrator is watching the server statistics, cares about delivering a quality product, and is EMPOWERED to take corrective action).

However, sensing that you may actually expect something specific so you’ll let go of your suggestion and perhaps recognize why I received it as folly, here is why my client server (router) settings are configured as they are configured.

My client hits two, and only two, server groups, 2.48.1 and 0.8.0.357900.  I know this from many hours of logging and careful parsing of the log files. Now, according to the page you cited there are “server settings” which are applicable now.

This implies there were OLDER settings.  That further implies the OLDER settings might no longer work. HOWEVER, if you scroll down to below the table you’ll see the following statement:

“AT&T's POP/SMTP settings have changed to inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net, but if you are using the old server settings (pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com), they will continue to work. You do not have to change them at this time.”

A logical examination of this statement confirms that there were indeed some older settings, but also it confirms the older settings should also continue to work.

None the less, when I was first informed of the new “server settings” I dutifully made the requested changes.

Immediately, I started getting intermittent prompts for password from my client. I can understand that with some users, their lack of technical awareness might cause some concern, but logic actually dictates that a CLIENT (not user) supplied password is incorrect one time,

it is incorrect all times.

There should be no such thing as an intermittently incorrect password coming from an email client.

Knowing this, I enabled logging and reviewed them.

What I found at the time was that all of the intermittent password rejections were coming from the 0.8.0.357900 server group and as a reminder, this ONLY started when I changed the so-called server settings.

Interestingly, I also discovered that with the ORIGINAL so-called server settings, I hit the same two server groups, AND the same exact ACTUAL servers, however, I was not prompted for any any incorrect passwords.

I called to complain, and hit the same brick wall then as I am hitting now, insufficient engineer education and lack of proper procedure to handle or communicate a true server side problem.

Naturally, the solution for me was SIMPLE and obvious, go back to the original “server settings” and press on with my busy life.

However, being aware of the new router configuration, and knowing that change is inevitable, I kept in mind that I may at somepoint in the future have to again address this problem if or when the older server settings fall out of the back side of support.

That was about a year and a half ago so fast forward to about four months ago. I started again getting intermittent prompts from Outlook for credentials. Hoping the solution was simple, I naturally changed the settings back to the newer settings, and the problem actually got worse.

Enabling and examining the log files, I found something more disturbing this time. The error from the “new” settings was ALWAYS “POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> -ERR [AUTH] Incorrect username or password.” And it always came from a server in the 0.8.0.357900 group. Now, using the older settings, the prompt from my Client was the same, but the ACTUAL ERROR was different, “POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server not ready. Please try again after sometime”.

Additionally, after a lot of parsing and some custom code, I discovered this error was coming EXCLUSIVELY from servers in the 2.48.1 group.

So, knowing those original erros were (at that time) over a year earlier, I did revert back to the so-called “new” settings. Interestingly, that was again even worse!! With the “newer” settings in place,

I not only still get intermittent (but frequent) “POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com): <rx> -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server not ready. Please try again after sometime”, but I still will get these errors from the 2.48.1 group, but I also go back to getting the same old “POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> -ERR [AUTH] Incorrect username or password.” From the 0.8.0.357900 group.

So, even though it was very irritating, to satisfy your concerns, are several errors logged:

2012.09.29 00:00:07

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop123.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server not ready. Please try again after sometime 

2012.09.29 12:52:19

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop130.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server not ready. Please try again after sometime

2012.09.30 00:14:22

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop129.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 01:29:31

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop127.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:03:30

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop123.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> -ERR [AUTH] Incorrect username or password.

2012.09.30 08:04:43

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop122.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:06:57

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop126.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:09:03

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop116.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:42:00

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop113.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:44:08

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop126.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:45:19

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop124.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:48:21

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop101.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:49:34

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop117.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:50:44

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop102.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:51:58

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop108.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:53:11

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop114.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:54:17

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop121.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 08:59:22

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop124.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 09:05:52

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop114.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 09:07:08

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop128.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 09:09:10

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop119.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.09.30 09:28:1

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop130.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

2012.10.01 10:39:40

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop117.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

So, I’m going to revert to the older settings and that way at least I can avoid the incorrect user name errors.
I’d also ask, with the greatest respect, not to derail this thread beyond the comprehension of the average users ability to discern a hopeful solution.

I’d ask you to remember that some (most) people do come here for solutions, but the truth clearly is, this is a server side issue, not a client issue and there is nothing they can do on the client side to fix it.

At best, the most they could possibly do is to mitigate the problem somewhat by reverting to the older server settings.
Remember, for most people, coming to forums is often a last resort. By the time many hove taken this step, they have likely been through the ringer with AT&T support (at which they may have even paid to fix and unfixable problem) as well as perhaps even their client support.

It could be just me, but I’m thinking the last thing they need is to take more time chasing well intended but non-successful solutions.
Again, I know you really do mean well and please do not confuse my sarcasm for “pot-shots”.
I am by now, also extremely frustrated by this problem and have a great deal of experience in other forums.

I am certain, for some, perhaps many problems, you can be of assistance and people really do appreciate finally getting help from somebody.
However, the truth is, there are no client side settings which can generate these errors coming from the server intermittently.

[ Edited ]
24 of 35 (6,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 7:24:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm having the same problem today, and have had this problem in the past. I agree that it's definitely a server-side problem and had the same "no help" response from other support "professionals" at ATT/Yahoo/etc.

At one point I thought I'd fixed the problem with a network setting on my machine.  I had my NIC set to 100/Full instead of auto-negotiate and it looked like network-related errors were causing the problem.  Changed to auto-negotiate and POOF, problems went away.

That solution isn't working today, so go figure, but maybe it'll help you.  Good luck.

25 of 35 (6,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 8:37:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Okay, I'm not going to reply to your post at length, but what I wanted to point out is this... when going at an organization's support staff looking for help, especially in an organization as big as AT&T's, you're not going to get past Tier 1 until you've followed the documentation to a T and can show that it didn't work.  You've done that, you've got the logs, good.  Now, you've also documented a different setting that works better, and why, again, good information for Tier 2, but it just confuses Tier 1.

I do agree with you that these different names are just DNS names that may end up an a host of different servers, and that the "old" and "new" names may end up getting you to some of the same servers.  However, the point is that AT&T documents that you should use the "new" names, and they have some reason for that.  Note that they have changed the availability for using clients for "free" accounts, and this may have something to do with your issue, even if your account isn't free.  No one ever said AT&T was perfect.

And those things you're calling server groups (2.48.1 and 0.8.0.357900).  I think further research would lead you to conclude that these are actually version numbers for the different POP3 server software applications being used.

At this point, what I would ask you to do is click on this link to send a PM to Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers, to ask him to forward your concerns to the appropriate people.  He's been able to track down and get resolution to some rather thorny issues.

Finally, when someone mentions certifications, the first thought that pops in my head is this:

26 of 35 (6,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 8:51:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

This message illustrates one of the great challenges when troubleshooting intermittent problems.

You can take a step, any step, and if the problem does not occur, the impression is, or rather the hope is, the problem was solved by the steps taken.

Unfortunately, this is usually just a coincidence, and as you have now observed, the problems return.  Therein lies the perceptive problems, that the steps are referred to as a solution.

I sincerely appreciate your willingness to offer up what you perceive to be a solution.  Sadly, they are not.

The truth is much more likely that if your intermittent errors stopped after you took those steps, it was actually just a coincidence.  They returned not because of any action on your part, but because the problem is intermittent on the server side.

I too, can, without taking any steps at all, go sometimes a day or two without getting any errors from the AT&T/Yahoo servers.

I strongly suspect the real problem is either traffic/volume management due to inadequate SPAM management, or potentially a targeted DoS.

If you look through the servers listed in my posts above, they are very specific and isolated.

The steps you describe, to resolve potential network related problems, would have zero impact on this particular problem.

If you were experiencing network related problems which could have been resolved by these steps, your client would have generated entirely different errors, and it would have manifested itself in many other ways (e.g. browsing the internet, watching videos, connecting to VPN network shares, etc).

I strongly encourage you to enable logging and review them, or post some client/server exchanges here for me to look at.

27 of 35 (6,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 9:21:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

"And those things you're calling server groups (2.48.1 and 0.8.0.357900). I think further research would lead you to conclude that these are actually version numbers for the different POP3 server software applications being used."

I am very well aware of the reality these numbers are referring to server version numbers.

From an enterprise management viewpoint, these would be, hence my use of the vernacular, deployment groups and are managed that way because the subsequent servers on which they are deployed are managed differently.

For example, here is a CAPA exchange between my client and a server in the 0.8.0.357900 deployment group.

(of course you probably know, rx means my client is receiving this information from the designated server and tx means my client is sending information to the designated server)

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop113.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
POP3 (inbound.att.net): Authorizing to server
POP3 (inbound.att.net): [tx] CAPA
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK CAPA list follows
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> IMPLEMENTATION popgate-0.8.0.357900
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> XOIP
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> EXPIRE-NEVER
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> PIPELINING
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> RESP-CODES
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> TOP
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> UIDL
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> USER
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> SASL LOGIN PLAIN
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> .
POP3 (inbound.att.net): [tx] USER xxxxx@att.net (user ID redacted)
POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK password required.
POP3 (inbound.att.net): [tx] PASS *****

Now, here is a CAPA exchange between my client and a server in the 2.48.1 deployment group.

POP3 (inbound.att.net): Authorizing to server

POP3 (inbound.att.net): [tx] CAPA

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK CAPA list follows

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> EXPIRE NEVER

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> IMPLEMENTATION popgate 2.48.1

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> PIPELINING

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> RESP-CODES

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> TOP

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> UIDL

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> USER

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> .

POP3 (inbound.att.net): [tx] USER xxxxx@att.net (user ID redacted)

POP3 (inbound.att.net): <rx> +OK password required.

POP3 (inbound.att.net): [tx] PASS *****

Notice the 0.8.0.357900 group specifies XOIP and SASL LOGIN PLAIN while the 2.48.1 group does not.

I have mountains of data on this.

The two errors received are always specific to the deployment group, and never change.

The servers contained within each deployment group never overlap, in other words a specific server signature from one group is never seen in the other deployment group.

When I use the older client settings, I NEVER get any errors from the 0.8.0.357900 group.

However, if I use the newer settings, I get intermittent errors from both groups.

28 of 35 (6,765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 9:35:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by bilb0 on Oct 2, 2012 at 9:36:55 AM

At this point, what I would ask you to do is click on this link to send a PM to Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers, to ask him to forward your concerns to the appropriate people.  He's been able to track down and get resolution to some rather thorny issues.

Purely on principal, it is far past time for AT&T to take ownership of their relationship with Yahoo and this problem.

I am reasonably certain a community manager knows full well how to reach me, if they are motivated to do so.

(which by the way, they are welcome to do so)

Absent that, my target audience is other consumers, the goal being to arm them with the same information and assist them to do that which I have already done, escalate, escalate, escalate.  The difference being that when they escalate now, they’ll be armed with the truth.

A person could consider my mindset to be bull-headed, and perhaps they’d be right.

However, coming from my specific back-ground, I know it can be a richly rewarding experience for a corporation to have a little humble-pie and do some reaching out of their own.

If I continue to do their work for them, they are deprived of that experience and its rewards.

Now, instead of being bull-headed, I’m being utopian…

[ Edited ]
29 of 35 (6,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 10:02:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Fine.  "Good luck with that." 

30 of 35 (6,756 Views)