Wonder why we pay high prices for low-speed Internet and poor cell-phone reception?

Contributor

Wonder why we pay high prices for low-speed Internet and poor cell-phone reception?

I urge everyone to listen this podcast of Terry Gross’s September 20th interview with David Kay Johnston, author of The Fine Print: How Big Companies Use "Plain English" to Rob You Blind.

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13&prgDate=9-20-2012

Johnston explains how over the last 20 years we’ve paid billions of dollars to phone and cable companies who promised to provide an information superhighway; instead we have limited phone service, low-speed Internet, and limited cable TV. U.S. Internet speeds rank 29th worldwide (behind countries such as Lithuania, Ukraine and Moldavia), while our rates are far higher. In France, for example, internet download speed are 10 times higher than ours, upload speeds are 20 times higher, and the French pay a quarter of what we pay.

Tired of slow internet speeds, I recently decided to upgrade my service, but then AT&T suddenly raised my internet bill by 25% (they notified me in the small print on my bill, which of course I hadn’t read) without offering any explanation or any improvement in service. Comcast did exactly the same thing for my cable TV within a couple of months.

Now phone companies are talking about eliminating landlines. We’ve paid for the landline infrastructure; and many of us, including me, live in cell phone dead zones. What happened to the promises they made, and where has all the money gone? I think we know the answers…

Message 1 of 3 (1,002 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Wonder why we pay high prices for low-speed Internet and poor cell-phone reception?

Message 2 of 3 (961 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Wonder why we pay high prices for low-speed Internet and poor cell-phone reception?

jfw wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/why-phone-cable-internet-bills-cost-much-130914030.html

Thanks JFW.  I'm hoping that the Library gets that it in as a Kindle download - interesting reading!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3 (901 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.