Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Sep 12, 2013
3:05:55 PM
Wiring for 2nd line

Just had a second line added and have confirmed it is live.  Unfortunately nobody told me that the appointment I waited two weeks for didn't actually involve somebody coming to my house.  I know the previous owner had a second line and the 2 line jack still appears to be wired but can't get the second line to work.  Both line lights appear on the gateway.  Anybody know if there is anything I can do myself to get that signal all the way to the 2 line jack?

Just had a second line added and have confirmed it is live.  Unfortunately nobody told me that the appointment I waited two weeks for didn't actually involve somebody coming to my house.  I know the previous owner had a second line and the 2 line jack still appears to be wired but can't get the second line to work.  Both line lights appear on the gateway.  Anybody know if there is anything I can do myself to get that signal all the way to the 2 line jack?

Wiring for 2nd line

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 3:36:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Sep 12, 2013 at 4:02:21 PM

DallasAlex - Yes - You have a single jack on the modem?? yes - the first line is on the inner prongs & the second line is on the outer prongs.

If you plug-in a two line phone it will work on both lines.

If you plug a cord to the wall - The first line will be on the red/green & the second line on the black/yellow behind the jack.

If you connect it like that to the house wiring the two line phone will work on any jack.

If you want to use two one line phones you need two wall jacks - the first is wired straight for the first line & the second - connect the yellow/black wires to the red/green screws on the jack so that it appears on the center prongs for the phone.

You can google rj-11 for pictures.

If you have two jacks on the modem - line 1 & 2 are each on the center prongs for one line phones. Reverse the R/G pairs with the Y/B pairs on one of the wall jacks to distribute both as described above. i.e. wire the 2 jacks by the modem the same as the far one for two phones.

If you are tempted to get a splitter to do the job, be careful because there are two kinds - a one line splitter has two jacks wired the same for two telsets on one line. A two line splitter accomplishes the pair reversal just described here so that one  line appears on the center prongs of one jack & the second line appears on the center prongs of the other jack.

DallasAlex - Yes - You have a single jack on the modem?? yes - the first line is on the inner prongs & the second line is on the outer prongs.

If you plug-in a two line phone it will work on both lines.

If you plug a cord to the wall - The first line will be on the red/green & the second line on the black/yellow behind the jack.

If you connect it like that to the house wiring the two line phone will work on any jack.

If you want to use two one line phones you need two wall jacks - the first is wired straight for the first line & the second - connect the yellow/black wires to the red/green screws on the jack so that it appears on the center prongs for the phone.

You can google rj-11 for pictures.

If you have two jacks on the modem - line 1 & 2 are each on the center prongs for one line phones. Reverse the R/G pairs with the Y/B pairs on one of the wall jacks to distribute both as described above. i.e. wire the 2 jacks by the modem the same as the far one for two phones.

If you are tempted to get a splitter to do the job, be careful because there are two kinds - a one line splitter has two jacks wired the same for two telsets on one line. A two line splitter accomplishes the pair reversal just described here so that one  line appears on the center prongs of one jack & the second line appears on the center prongs of the other jack.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Wiring for 2nd line

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 4:32:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks.  My two line phone has two physical inputs.  I have 4 pair wiring so not sure how to translate.

Thanks.  My two line phone has two physical inputs.  I have 4 pair wiring so not sure how to translate.

3 of 10 (652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 5:12:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DallasAlex - If you post make/model I will look up your phone, but it would make sense that the first line jack also has the second line on the outer prongs in addition to the inner prongs of the jack for the second line.

You are saying that wiring is doubled. If you have two jacks at each wall plate then you have a line on the center of each jack. You can use your two wire phone at any jack.

The modification you need to make is to get the one jack output of the modem to the two jack input at the wall. You have two choices -
1) Get a two line splitter & plug it in to the modem. Use two wires to connect the two wall jacks to the two jacks on the splitter.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=two%20line%20splitter...

2) At the modem location unscrew the wall plate. On the bottom jack disconnect all the wires. On the top jack disconnect the yellow/black wires & connect the red/green wires from the other cable to the yellow/black screws for the jack. Connect the modem to the wall with one wire. The second line will distribute to your lower jacks, except for that one at modem. If you want that one to work as well place a short wire from the yellow/black of the top kack to the red/green of the bottom jack.
DallasAlex - If you post make/model I will look up your phone, but it would make sense that the first line jack also has the second line on the outer prongs in addition to the inner prongs of the jack for the second line.

You are saying that wiring is doubled. If you have two jacks at each wall plate then you have a line on the center of each jack. You can use your two wire phone at any jack.

The modification you need to make is to get the one jack output of the modem to the two jack input at the wall. You have two choices -
1) Get a two line splitter & plug it in to the modem. Use two wires to connect the two wall jacks to the two jacks on the splitter.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=two%20line%20splitter&sprefix=two+line+spl%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atwo%20line%20splitter

2) At the modem location unscrew the wall plate. On the bottom jack disconnect all the wires. On the top jack disconnect the yellow/black wires & connect the red/green wires from the other cable to the yellow/black screws for the jack. Connect the modem to the wall with one wire. The second line will distribute to your lower jacks, except for that one at modem. If you want that one to work as well place a short wire from the yellow/black of the top kack to the red/green of the bottom jack.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 5:38:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry, 4 pair wiring from gateway to jacks meaning blue&white paired with white&blue, orange&white paired with white&orange, etc.  The phone is AT&T TL86109.

Sorry, 4 pair wiring from gateway to jacks meaning blue&white paired with white&blue, orange&white paired with white&orange, etc.  The phone is AT&T TL86109.

5 of 10 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 6:14:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DallasAlex -
Here is the manual - http://cdn-media-att.vtp-media.com/ecp/documents/product_Product/1536/UserManual/4368/TL86109_CIB_Is...

On page eight it shows the one wire connection to the RG. On page nine it shows the two wire connection.

For house distribution one jack can carry both lines to be used by a two line phone like yours.

All you have to know is the first line goes on the center prongs and the second goes on the outer.

If you want a second jack to carry the second line to a single line phone, you need to connect the outer prongs of the first jack to the inner prongs of the second.

The google result of RJ-11 wiring should show the standard for your wires, but you need to verify your install. You can do this with your two line phone.

If you plug the single cord into jack one line 1 & 2 should be correct on the phone. If you plug the phone into jack two with the modem still in jack 1, The libes should reverse on the phone.
DallasAlex -
Here is the manual - http://cdn-media-att.vtp-media.com/ecp/documents/product_Product/1536/UserManual/4368/TL86109_CIB_Iss1.pdf

On page eight it shows the one wire connection to the RG. On page nine it shows the two wire connection.

For house distribution one jack can carry both lines to be used by a two line phone like yours.

All you have to know is the first line goes on the center prongs and the second goes on the outer.

If you want a second jack to carry the second line to a single line phone, you need to connect the outer prongs of the first jack to the inner prongs of the second.

The google result of RJ-11 wiring should show the standard for your wires, but you need to verify your install. You can do this with your two line phone.

If you plug the single cord into jack one line 1 & 2 should be correct on the phone. If you plug the phone into jack two with the modem still in jack 1, The libes should reverse on the phone.

6 of 10 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 8:22:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

Aviewer, I truly appreciate your time and effort.  If you are an AT&T employee, you are certainly the most helpful one I have ever worked with.  Unfortunately, I have now tried every combination of jack to cable to phone possible with both one and two cables but still with no luck.  I'm not convinced line 2 signal is getting from gateway to jack as there is no other logical explanation.

Aviewer, I truly appreciate your time and effort.  If you are an AT&T employee, you are certainly the most helpful one I have ever worked with.  Unfortunately, I have now tried every combination of jack to cable to phone possible with both one and two cables but still with no luck.  I'm not convinced line 2 signal is getting from gateway to jack as there is no other logical explanation.

7 of 10 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 4:59:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DallasAlex - I was wondering where we are because you were not indicating any understanding of the details. We need to do one simple thing. Well you might count them as twoor even three.

You say you have confirmed the second line & you see lights that look right?? Can you confirm that you have one jack on the modem labeled Phone 1 & 2 ??

Connect that jack with a single cord to the jack on your phone as specified on page 8 of your manual.

You should get dial tone on both lines on the phone, be able to dial out & call each from anther phone.

If you cannot do those three things, there are four possible reasons - There is an at&t problem, the wire is defective, the phone is defective, you do not have the right jack on the phone. You need to call for remote test and possible tech visit. Maybe first try the wire in another phone jack & see if one line works. Isn't that the way it used to work?? You need let me know these details. We should have started slow - one step at a time instead of trying to lay out all the possibilities.

If it works we can go into more detail on your wall jacks.
DallasAlex - I was wondering where we are because you were not indicating any understanding of the details. We need to do one simple thing. Well you might count them as twoor even three.

You say you have confirmed the second line & you see lights that look right?? Can you confirm that you have one jack on the modem labeled Phone 1 & 2 ??

Connect that jack with a single cord to the jack on your phone as specified on page 8 of your manual.

You should get dial tone on both lines on the phone, be able to dial out & call each from anther phone.

If you cannot do those three things, there are four possible reasons - There is an at&t problem, the wire is defective, the phone is defective, you do not have the right jack on the phone. You need to call for remote test and possible tech visit. Maybe first try the wire in another phone jack & see if one line works. Isn't that the way it used to work?? You need let me know these details. We should have started slow - one step at a time instead of trying to lay out all the possibilities.

If it works we can go into more detail on your wall jacks.

8 of 10 (583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 10:37:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, if I plug directly into modem it works fine.  If I plug into any jack in the house line 2 doesn't work.  seems like a wiring or jack issue.

Yes, if I plug directly into modem it works fine.  If I plug into any jack in the house line 2 doesn't work.  seems like a wiring or jack issue.

9 of 10 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 1:43:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DallasAlex - Good! glad to hear that.

You have a wall plate near the modem. It has one or two jacks?? You have other jacks in the house??

You can pull the wall plate out & look at a jack. it should have four wires attached to it. You can look at another jack. It should have the same four colors in the same location.

Use the wire that currently connects the phone & the modem & plug the phone end into the wall jack (leaving the other end connected to the modem).
Using another wire plug the phone into any other jack & it should work. If it does not, the wall jacks are not fully connected. Or, the new wire you just introduced is defective.
DallasAlex - Good! glad to hear that.

You have a wall plate near the modem. It has one or two jacks?? You have other jacks in the house??

You can pull the wall plate out & look at a jack. it should have four wires attached to it. You can look at another jack. It should have the same four colors in the same location.

Use the wire that currently connects the phone & the modem & plug the phone end into the wall jack (leaving the other end connected to the modem).
Using another wire plug the phone into any other jack & it should work. If it does not, the wall jacks are not fully connected. Or, the new wire you just introduced is defective.

10 of 10 (546 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments