Wiring Problems

Contributor

Wiring Problems

First off, I am not an expert, but I know enough to be dangerous. Smiley Very HappyI am not sure what the device is in the middle of my NID (picture below), but I can not get the internet service to go through it. Eventually I just bypassed it and hooked directly into the ports to the right of the test jack. Everything works fine, but I need to know of this setup is ok or if I need to get a tech out to replace that peice in the middel. Just to be clear, before tampering with anything a green and red wire (now wrapped around the red and green screws since they are not being used) were going from the T and R ports, respectively, to the middle device. From there the solid blue wire was hooked to the red screws and the blue stip was hooked to the green screw. Also, this is for internet only, but the house was previously wired for tv as well. Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 3 (262 Views)
Employee

Re: Wiring Problems

The top device (line mod) normally has inside wiring attached to far right (4th slot), the middle device is an older splitter.
The splitter is not vdsl (would have one G/R, one Y/B set of posts.
If internet only, no POTS line, attaching IW (blue, blue white) to line mod is fine no need for tech visit for that issue.
However it appears the blue pair is scotch locked to an old copper drop feed.
If true would recommend replacing with new cat5 home run cable, if cannot do yourself then would require tech visit.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3 (253 Views)
Contributor

Re: Wiring Problems

Awesome, thank you! Yeah the the home wiring is pretty old so it is on my to do list, but since I have it working for now that will have to wait. As far as the line mod goes, is it imparitive that the wires be moved to the far right? I just put the wires in the same spot the others were in, though it shouldn't suprise me that it was wired improperly to begin with.

Message 3 of 3 (235 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.