Wiring Install - House with 2 buildings?

DR9
Contributor

Wiring Install - House with 2 buildings?

Hello,

I hope someone can answer me some questions before I order U-verse 45mbps Power+TV+Phone!

I have a house and a seperate guest house/rec room attached to the garage. I currently have the old DSL (6mbps elite) to the house via the phone line. The main house needs to have 1 room with a TV and the seperate rec room needs to have the Internet/TV. Both need telephone.

Is this possible for a installer to do?

When getting VOIP does it use existing house phone plug wiring?

Do I need to have cat5 ran to the TV/Internet? Will this be possible to 2 different buildings?

Here is a picture of it:

http://i62.tinypic.com/ipqyv5.jpg

Any help would be appericated!

Message 1 of 3 (292 Views)

Re: Wiring Install - House with 2 buildings?

[ Edited ]

@DR9  wrote:

Hello,

I hope someone can answer me some questions before I order U-verse 45mbps Power+TV+Phone!

I have a house and a seperate guest house/rec room attached to the garage. I currently have the old DSL (6mbps elite) to the house via the phone line. The main house needs to have 1 room with a TV and the seperate rec room needs to have the Internet/TV. Both need telephone.

Is this possible for a installer to do?

When getting VOIP does it use existing house phone plug wiring?

Do I need to have cat5 ran to the TV/Internet? Will this be possible to 2 different buildings?

Here is a picture of it:

http://i62.tinypic.com/ipqyv5.jpg

Any help would be appericated!

Do you currently have a TV provider (cable or satellite)?

Are all the phones and modem in your illustration currently in place and operational? If so, are all on the same line/pair?

How does the phone service get to the guest house currently (wired or wireless)?

How old are the structures and current phone wiring?

Any particular reason for the modem being in the guest house?

How does the Internet currently get from the guest house to the main house (wired or wireless)?

Where are all the devices (computers, smart TVs, blueray players, etc.) that need Internet access located at?

With Uverse, all services originate from the modem/gateway.

The way the phone part of your service will work is the modem/gateway will need to "intercept" the physical phone wiring. Uverse signal (VDSL) in, telephone out.  The best/easiest place to do that is at a place as close to the NID (green in your illustration) as possible, the original point of phone line distribution. Otherwise they will have to set up a back-feed from some other location.

The TV portion of your service can be sent over COAX (re-purposed if you currently have cable or satellite), Ethernet (CAT5/6), or wireless (through a dedicated access point). Ethernet is best, then COAX, then wireless. If COAX is used, you will have an Ethernet port available on the back of each TV receiver box to use in a pinch (not supported, and not recommended on the DVR box)

The Internet portion of your service can be either Ethernet or wireless from the modem/gateway. Wireless can be OK for light to moderate use, and if there are not a lot of other neighbor's wireless access points nearby, it shouldn't be too bad, but Ethernet is far better and more reliable. Especially for streaming video, like Netflix.

The installers are a mixed bag. Some will go above and beyond to install the service per your requests, others may just do it as fast and simple as possible, like using wireless TV receivers insted of running COAX or Ethernet, or using old COAX insted of running new CAT 5/6, etc. Telling you to use the modem/gateway's wireless for your computers instead of running CAT 5/6.

My suggestion would be to not leave it up to the installer. Run a seperate CAT 5/6 cable from the area of the NID to anyplace you're going to want a Uverse TV receiver or Internet capable device. If there are multiple devices in the same area, like an entertainment center with a smart TV, a bluray player, and the Uverse TV receiver, you can run just a single CAT 5/6 cable and use a switch (ethernet splitter) at the entertainment center to provide a connection for all devices there. As far as the phones go, if you were to get a quality, five handset, wireless phone set you could plug the base station in where you show the phone in the lower left corner of the main house and probably cover both stuctures without having to worry about any other phone connections.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 3 (265 Views)
Highlighted
DR9
Contributor

Re: Wiring Install - House with 2 buildings?

Do you currently have a TV provider (cable or satellite)?

DirectV

Are all the phones and modem in your illustration currently in place and operational? If so, are all on the same line/pair?

Yes, there is a buried pipe between the house and rec room that has a coax/rj45 phone line then to the TV/phones in that room and since im on old DSL I use that same phone line for that modem which I currently use.

How does the phone service get to the guest house currently (wired or wireless)?

Wired

How old are the structures and current phone wiring?

20 years roughly

Any particular reason for the modem being in the guest house?

Needs to be there for primary usage vs the house

How does the Internet currently get from the guest house to the main house (wired or wireless)?

Main house does not need internet, can be used wireless currently if I need it. As mentioend above a buried telephone line is connected from the green box on front of the ouse to to corner of the other building.

Where are all the devices (computers, smart TVs, blueray players, etc.) that need Internet access located at?

Main house only needs phone and TV, no hard connected internet. All the toys are in the guest house and I can reach the main house WiFi when needed.

With Uverse, all services originate from the modem/gateway.

Thinking they can use teh exisiting coax cable from SAT to the main house?

Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 3 (235 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.