Wireless receiver worth it?

Wireless receiver worth it?

I've been having problems with my non-DVR receiver and was thinking of trying to replace it with a wireless one.  (Has anyone corrected stuttering problems this way?  My current receiver is 4.5 years old and I'm thinking it's on its last leg.)

I was suprised when I contacted them this morning and they wanted to charge me $49 up front and $7 a month after that -- apparently the wireless version isnt included in my "free 2nd receiver" as part of the U300 package.  I would have thought they had some kind of free introductory offer to see if it was worth it.

Message 1 of 18 (1,322 Views)
Expert

Re: Wireless receiver worth it?

No, adding wireless receivers is not free. It's $49 per receiver. I have had 2 of them for about a year and a half. So far, it's been well worth the $98 investment. They have worked better than the 2 wired receivers they replaced.
Message 2 of 18 (1,294 Views)
ACE - Expert

orangecrushv - I guess they figure it is attractive enough to sell without promotion pricing. I guess it may have newer technology, but, I believe wireless adds opportunity for failure. You have not even determined that is is the STB I have STBs that are just as old. I have had two new DVRs and two new RGs and one (maybe two) STBs.

It May be time for a new RG. 3801 is an improvement over 3800.

How are you wired?? The RG to NID should be cat5. The DVR to RG should be cat5. If you have any COAX, make sure you have tight connections and compression ends. Could be a problem with the COAX. I guess wireless would eliminate that, but it brings its own set of problems. Cat5 does not.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 18 (1,290 Views)

Re: The RG to NID should be cat5. The DVR to RG should be cat5. If you have any COAX, make sure you have tight connections and compression ends. Could be a problem with the COAX. I guess wireless would eliminate that, but it brings its own set of problems. Cat5 does not.

Most of my setup is via coax.  The initial connection line comes in from the the phone box outside and a Cat5 runs into the RG.  The RG then taps into the COAX wiring for the house.  The DVR is in another room connected via COAX and the 2nd receiver is upstairs, also via COAX.

Is it safe to assume I have the worst possible setup? Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 18 (1,262 Views)

orangecrushv wrote:

Re: The RG to NID should be cat5. The DVR to RG should be cat5. If you have any COAX, make sure you have tight connections and compression ends. Could be a problem with the COAX. I guess wireless would eliminate that, but it brings its own set of problems. Cat5 does not.

Most of my setup is via coax.  The initial connection line comes in from the the phone box outside and a Cat5 runs into the RG.  The RG then taps into the COAX wiring for the house.  The DVR is in another room connected via COAX and the 2nd receiver is upstairs, also via COAX.

I have coax through out my house and have had no issues with it.  Every place I've lived has had coax (2 apartments, 1 house) all with UVerse and coax has been just fine. 

I just recently added a 7th STB (currently have 6 people living here) and it's wireless and so far so good.  Was a snap to install as well.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 18 (1,258 Views)
ACE - Expert

I thought we were looking to overcome a problem, not talking in generalities. I, too have COAX NID-RG and 2 TVs fed COAX. Problem free.

But, if there is a problem, it is not necessarily resolved by replacing the STB. I realize with wireless, you may also be replacing COAX. I have also, seen posts of problems with wireless.

I am reminded of another post I believe I said of both COAX and wireless that it works fine, until it does not. If you have a perceived problem, do not jump to the conclusion that you will solve it with an STB swap. Maybe you will & maybe you won't. I remember at least two people made happy by swapping the DVR and an STB just to get the DVR on cat5 to the RG.

You do not know what your problem is until you fix it.

My personal favorite is swap the 3800 RG for a 3801. I guess, because it worked for me. BTW, did you notice all the "i guesses" & "maybes" in my post.

I see, it is not that you have a problem that you want to resolve. It is that you want to go wireless & do not want to pay for it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 18 (1,236 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

orangecrushv wrote:

No.  I have 3 boxes.  The DVR and one STB is on coax and the other one is Cat5 (right next to the RG).  Have you ensured that all coax connectors are tight?  We have a wallplate right by the RG.  It has Cat5 and coax.  The coax one had gone slightly loose and it resulted in breakup and pixelating on the two coax sets.  I tightened that and all was good.

Message 7 of 18 (1,228 Views)

OK, tightened all the coax connections and the 2nd TV still stutters...  It happens when trying to watch just about anything on the TV -- on-demand and DVR is the worst, I can usually "buffer" a live show by pausing it for like 10-15 seconds when I first turn it on to limit the stuttering somewhat...  Any suggestions from here?

Also, I wasn't complaining and just trying to get a free wireless box.  I've just read how difficult ATT can be about swapping out equipment, so I thought it would be easiest if I could trade my old one for a wireless one and potentially resolve my issue...  I'd pay the extra $7 a month if my problem was fixed but it's not worth $49 on a hope Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 18 (1,193 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

orangecrushv wrote:

orangecrushv wrote:

No there is nothing wrong with a good coax install.  I use to have an all coax install, and I did not have any issues.

Message 9 of 18 (1,175 Views)
Employee

Ok, two TVs both set top boxes on coax. Swap the two boxes, the dvr and non dvr including power supplies....
Does the issue follow the non dvr, or stay at location...follows bad STB, stays wiring issue (ends, wall plate splitter, etc)

The swap to a wifi box adding $7 only applies if grandfathered in to some plan that did not charge for extra receives,
All current plans are DVR only, each additional receiver is $7 per month.
If grandfathered swap hardwired for another hardwired should not change plan, but swapping for wifi does.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 18 (1,171 Views)
Expert

orangecrushv wrote:

OK, tightened all the coax connections and the 2nd TV still stutters...  It happens when trying to watch just about anything on the TV -- on-demand and DVR is the worst, I can usually "buffer" a live show by pausing it for like 10-15 seconds when I first turn it on to limit the stuttering somewhat...  Any suggestions from here?

Also, I wasn't complaining and just trying to get a free wireless box.  I've just read how difficult ATT can be about swapping out equipment, so I thought it would be easiest if I could trade my old one for a wireless one and potentially resolve my issue...  I'd pay the extra $7 a month if my problem was fixed but it's not worth $49 on a hope Smiley Tongue

You don't currently pay a $7 monthly fee for your wired receivers?

Message 11 of 18 (1,167 Views)
Employee

There was a point in time when ATT offered new customers signing up for u300 or u450a 2nd receiver free (no $7 per month).
Initially this was only for hardwired STB, but there was a brief (4th q 2012 and 1sr q 2013) period where the 2nd unit could be wireless.
When the promotion was dropped all STB beyond DVR are $7 each per month, wireless have one time charge of $49 plus monthly fee.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 18 (1,155 Views)

OK, I swapped the boxes and the problem stayed at the location upstairs... 1) Is it pretty safe to say its a coax issue somewhere leading to the bedroom?  2) Would a wireless box then bypass the issue? 3) Anyone have an estimate of what it might the cost be for someone to track down the bad wire and fix it?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 18 (1,058 Views)
Expert

orangecrushv wrote:

OK, I swapped the boxes and the problem stayed at the location upstairs... 1) Is it pretty safe to say its a coax issue somewhere leading to the bedroom?  2) Would a wireless box then bypass the issue? 3) Anyone have an estimate of what it might the cost be for someone to track down the bad wire and fix it?

Thanks! 

Yes, if the coax is bad, a wireless box would bypass the coax.  By the way, how far is the RG located from the box upstaris?

Message 14 of 18 (1,045 Views)

how far is the RG located from the box upstaris?

About 20 feet across the first floor then maybe 15 feet up going to the second floor...  

Message 15 of 18 (1,033 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.