Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 7, 2013
9:15:20 AM
Wireless Range dropped off

Last night, I lost internet on my computer so I went to look at the gateway and there were no lights on, so I tried unplugging and rebooting...and after doing this several times, it finally powered up and my internet came back, but as soon as I left my desk, it disconnected again.  After playing with it I found that my wireless range seems to be about 3 feet, and my wired connection is fine.  I've tried many different channels and many different power settings and several reboots, but nothing seems to change anything.  I've also tried restoring to the original wireless settings.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Is there anything else to try, or does it sound like something went bad in the gateway?  I tried calling tech support but they just want to run line tests, and I'm not at home currently, and have the gateway off right now, because it seemed to be running hotter than normal.   It also would seem that a line test is kind of pointless since I can get online, but the range of the wireless just dropped off dramatically.

Last night, I lost internet on my computer so I went to look at the gateway and there were no lights on, so I tried unplugging and rebooting...and after doing this several times, it finally powered up and my internet came back, but as soon as I left my desk, it disconnected again.  After playing with it I found that my wireless range seems to be about 3 feet, and my wired connection is fine.  I've tried many different channels and many different power settings and several reboots, but nothing seems to change anything.  I've also tried restoring to the original wireless settings.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Is there anything else to try, or does it sound like something went bad in the gateway?  I tried calling tech support but they just want to run line tests, and I'm not at home currently, and have the gateway off right now, because it seemed to be running hotter than normal.   It also would seem that a line test is kind of pointless since I can get online, but the range of the wireless just dropped off dramatically.

Wireless Range dropped off

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:28:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Try downloading this: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/  Run it and set your channel on the best one that has the least congestion.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Try downloading this: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/  Run it and set your channel on the best one that has the least congestion.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Wireless Range dropped off

2 of 11 (351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:58:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Darknessrise on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:03:35 AM

What gateway do you have? I think this is a sign of it's failure(Which was commonly found in 2701s). If it's as you say(3 feet) I remember this issue coming up A LOT with the 2701/3600s when they began to fail.

I suggest channel 6(Out of the standard 1,6, and 11) for the gateway. Maybe it's just my neighborhood, but on channel 1 and 11, the gateways seem to not want to broadcast with more than 100mW of power on either.

You ALWAYS want to use either 1,6, and 11. It makes 2.4 GHz less congested for both you and your neighbors. For example there's a neighbor at say, 1 and 6 doesn't mean that you should use say, channel 3. That causes your network to get crushed by both of theirs and you crush theres too. It's technically better(If it's your only choice) to be on the same channel than to overlap someone. Being on an overlapping channel(Typically 2-5 and 7-10) usually crushes the network with interference.

Remember the best rule: 1,6, or 11!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

What gateway do you have? I think this is a sign of it's failure(Which was commonly found in 2701s). If it's as you say(3 feet) I remember this issue coming up A LOT with the 2701/3600s when they began to fail.

I suggest channel 6(Out of the standard 1,6, and 11) for the gateway. Maybe it's just my neighborhood, but on channel 1 and 11, the gateways seem to not want to broadcast with more than 100mW of power on either.

You ALWAYS want to use either 1,6, and 11. It makes 2.4 GHz less congested for both you and your neighbors. For example there's a neighbor at say, 1 and 6 doesn't mean that you should use say, channel 3. That causes your network to get crushed by both of theirs and you crush theres too. It's technically better(If it's your only choice) to be on the same channel than to overlap someone. Being on an overlapping channel(Typically 2-5 and 7-10) usually crushes the network with interference.

Remember the best rule: 1,6, or 11!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 11 (334 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 10:45:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I too am having trouble with range & tried resetting my settings on my 3801 & they (wireles enabled, channel b/g) change on the screen, but when I come back they are what they were before.

I tried signing on with password on the reset page, but still no change.

Can anyone say how to change these settings? Thanks
I too am having trouble with range & tried resetting my settings on my 3801 & they (wireles enabled, channel b/g) change on the screen, but when I come back they are what they were before.

4 of 11 (310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 11:32:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Darknessrise on Oct 7, 2013 at 11:33:24 AM

aviewer wrote:

That's odd; you should be able to change them freely. Have you tried setting the settings after already being logged in? Sometimes I have to spam the "Apply" or whatever it's called button to actually get it to change. Also, as a note I should say that B or G doesn't really make a difference in my case of range. On these gateways, they both have the same range whether set to B or G.

aviewer wrote:

That's odd; you should be able to change them freely. Have you tried setting the settings after already being logged in? Sometimes I have to spam the "Apply" or whatever it's called button to actually get it to change. Also, as a note I should say that B or G doesn't really make a difference in my case of range. On these gateways, they both have the same range whether set to B or G.

[ Edited ]
5 of 11 (294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 12:12:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

I believe I have the 3800 gateway.

I'll have to play with the channel a little more when I get home tonight...it seems odd that it would be an interference issue, since when it first happened it was plugged in but not getting power...that would seem to be more of a gateway failure.  That being said, it also seems odd that a gateway would just die in a year without being dropped or abused or anything...but in my experience in electronics, Murphy's Law always applies.

I believe I have the 3800 gateway.

I'll have to play with the channel a little more when I get home tonight...it seems odd that it would be an interference issue, since when it first happened it was plugged in but not getting power...that would seem to be more of a gateway failure.  That being said, it also seems odd that a gateway would just die in a year without being dropped or abused or anything...but in my experience in electronics, Murphy's Law always applies.

6 of 11 (273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 2:22:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you download and run inSSIDer it will tell you the best channel to use so you don;t have to guess.Smiley Wink

If you download and run inSSIDer it will tell you the best channel to use so you don;t have to guess.Smiley Wink

7 of 11 (239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 3:20:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I downloaded and ran inSSIDer, and there seems to be about even traffic accross all the channels, but I tried channels 1, 6, and 11, and they all seem to be giving me the same thing...I can't connect unless I'm sitting right next to the gateway, and even then, my network is one of the weaker signals showing up in inSSIDer.

I downloaded and ran inSSIDer, and there seems to be about even traffic accross all the channels, but I tried channels 1, 6, and 11, and they all seem to be giving me the same thing...I can't connect unless I'm sitting right next to the gateway, and even then, my network is one of the weaker signals showing up in inSSIDer.

8 of 11 (226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 4:52:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

djbos728 wrote:

My post about what channels was best was for after you got a replacement. That gateway has one of the common faults and needs to be replaced. This isn't too rare on 2wires.

djbos728 wrote:

My post about what channels was best was for after you got a replacement. That gateway has one of the common faults and needs to be replaced. This isn't too rare on 2wires.

9 of 11 (212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 5:17:09 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hello djbos728,

Are you still experiencing this issue? Were you able to find someone to help replace your U-verse router? If you still need further assistance, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, phone number, account number, and the best time to reach you.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello djbos728,

Are you still experiencing this issue? Were you able to find someone to help replace your U-verse router? If you still need further assistance, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, phone number, account number, and the best time to reach you.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 11 (182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 6:49:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

New gateway should be on its way...thanks everyone for your help...and I'll keep the advise in mind for picking channels for the new gateway.

New gateway should be on its way...thanks everyone for your help...and I'll keep the advise in mind for picking channels for the new gateway.

11 of 11 (176 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments