Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 5, 2014
9:41:18 AM
View profile
Wireless Adapter to connect to Uverse Internet

I just purchased AT&T Uverse.  I went from AT&T DSL to the 18Mpp speed.  All my devices can attach to the Motorola NVG589 gateway except my old Dell desktop running XP.  I use a Netgear 802.11g wireless adapter that was able to connect well to the DSL modem.  Now it's having performance issues with Uverse.  It says its connected to the gateway, but the speed goes up and down and ultimately I can't open internet pages via browswer.  From researching internet, I think my issue is that I need to get a new wireless adapater that is 802.11n.  Does that make sense to solve the problem?

I just purchased AT&T Uverse.  I went from AT&T DSL to the 18Mpp speed.  All my devices can attach to the Motorola NVG589 gateway except my old Dell desktop running XP.  I use a Netgear 802.11g wireless adapter that was able to connect well to the DSL modem.  Now it's having performance issues with Uverse.  It says its connected to the gateway, but the speed goes up and down and ultimately I can't open internet pages via browswer.  From researching internet, I think my issue is that I need to get a new wireless adapater that is 802.11n.  Does that make sense to solve the problem?

Wireless Adapter to connect to Uverse Internet

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:25:29 AM
(0)
Guru
Hello d3jmeyer,

If your fluctuating speeds are due to poor signal, a Wireless N (802.11n) adapter will help improve both link speed and range. In the less likely case that your fluctuating speeds are due to interference, a wireless n adapter may help, but unless you change your router's channel address to a less congested channel, you may not notice much improvement.
Hello d3jmeyer,

If your fluctuating speeds are due to poor signal, a Wireless N (802.11n) adapter will help improve both link speed and range. In the less likely case that your fluctuating speeds are due to interference, a wireless n adapter may help, but unless you change your router's channel address to a less congested channel, you may not notice much improvement.

Re: Wireless Adapter to connect to Uverse Internet

2 of 6 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:31:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have several other devices that connect to the gateway fine.....but they all have internal wireless cards.If there was an issue with congested channel, wouldn't I also have issues with the other devices?

I have several other devices that connect to the gateway fine.....but they all have internal wireless cards.If there was an issue with congested channel, wouldn't I also have issues with the other devices?

3 of 6 (408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:39:22 AM
(0)
Guru
Not always, but in your case it seems to be true. If your other devices are connected through wireless N then it's likely that your speed fluctuations are due to poor signal. A wireless N adapter should solve your issue.
Not always, but in your case it seems to be true. If your other devices are connected through wireless N then it's likely that your speed fluctuations are due to poor signal. A wireless N adapter should solve your issue.

4 of 6 (405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 4:30:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by MrBooMY on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:31:21 PM

Don't buy an adapter!!!

My suggestion would be to go into your RGs control panel via 192.168.1.254

Get the Device Access Code/System Password from the side of the RG, it is NOT the same as the wireless network key. Then goto your wireless network configuration page. Find the wireless channel and make sure it's NOT on AUTO. If it is, lock it into a channel besides 1, 6, or 11. I usually use 9. I'd be willing to bet money it will at least make it better. It won't always fix it, but that auto channel feature is garbage and they should remove it from the gateways.

Don't buy an adapter!!!

My suggestion would be to go into your RGs control panel via 192.168.1.254

Get the Device Access Code/System Password from the side of the RG, it is NOT the same as the wireless network key. Then goto your wireless network configuration page. Find the wireless channel and make sure it's NOT on AUTO. If it is, lock it into a channel besides 1, 6, or 11. I usually use 9. I'd be willing to bet money it will at least make it better. It won't always fix it, but that auto channel feature is garbage and they should remove it from the gateways.

[ Edited ]
5 of 6 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 5:11:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

I would suggest you check the adapter connection in Network and Sharing Center and make sure that when you added it it didn't get set to public under your active networks. I had this happen recently and when I saw it and changed it to home network the speed went back to normal.

A-

I would suggest you check the adapter connection in Network and Sharing Center and make sure that when you added it it didn't get set to public under your active networks. I had this happen recently and when I saw it and changed it to home network the speed went back to normal.

A-

6 of 6 (372 Views)