Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 12, 2014
10:19:05 AM
Wireless Adapter Broken

Hey, I've just recently signed up for ATT Uverse. It's not even been a month and the USB wireless adapter they've given me no longer works. It doesn't recieve power from the computer or any other device. It's simply broken or defective.

I called support and they told me I have to purchase a new one. Is it ATT's policy to not replace defective equipment? Not even in the first month?

Hey, I've just recently signed up for ATT Uverse. It's not even been a month and the USB wireless adapter they've given me no longer works. It doesn't recieve power from the computer or any other device. It's simply broken or defective.

I called support and they told me I have to purchase a new one. Is it ATT's policy to not replace defective equipment? Not even in the first month?

Wireless Adapter Broken

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 10:31:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Colorado42 - It is good not to take the first denial. The question is - what is the device you are talking about?

It sounds like the dongle that comes with the point anywhere remote. If that is what it is, and you purchased it, it should have a 90 warrantee. If you did not purchase it, it may be more complicated, but you may be able to get a replacement.

If you are talking about the WAP for wireless receivers, that is at&t equipment to be replaced, but it plugs in to a network jack.

Send a PM to attcustomercare using this link for assistance in working it out - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773
Colorado42 - It is good not to take the first denial. The question is - what is the device you are talking about?

It sounds like the dongle that comes with the point anywhere remote. If that is what it is, and you purchased it, it should have a 90 warrantee. If you did not purchase it, it may be more complicated, but you may be able to get a replacement.

If you are talking about the WAP for wireless receivers, that is at&t equipment to be replaced, but it plugs in to a network jack.

Send a PM to attcustomercare using this link for assistance in working it out - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Wireless Adapter Broken

2 of 9 (257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 10:37:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

It's a Netgear WNA1100.

http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/home/networking/wifi-adapters/WNA1100.aspx#tab-fea...

In addition to it not working now, it also didn't work when they first installed it. The drivers that came with the device weren't compatable with Windows 8 and had to be reinstalled in compatability mode to make it work. It would literally crash the computer every time I entered the wireless password. The technician wasn't able to get it set up before he left and I had to figure this all out myself.

It's all leaving me with an incredibly bad experience so I am pretty angry at the prospect of having to pay for a new adapter out of my own pocket.

It's a Netgear WNA1100.

http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/home/networking/wifi-adapters/WNA1100.aspx#tab-features

In addition to it not working now, it also didn't work when they first installed it. The drivers that came with the device weren't compatable with Windows 8 and had to be reinstalled in compatability mode to make it work. It would literally crash the computer every time I entered the wireless password. The technician wasn't able to get it set up before he left and I had to figure this all out myself.

It's all leaving me with an incredibly bad experience so I am pretty angry at the prospect of having to pay for a new adapter out of my own pocket.

3 of 9 (253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 10:44:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Colorado42 - I understand what it is now. Computers are a grey area for at&t support, as far as I can see. Best you send that PM to customer care. They are the best chance for getting a replacement.
Colorado42 - I understand what it is now. Computers are a grey area for at&t support, as far as I can see. Best you send that PM to customer care. They are the best chance for getting a replacement.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 10:47:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your help. I'll let you know if they're able to help me with this problem.

Thank you for your help. I'll let you know if they're able to help me with this problem.

5 of 9 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 7:12:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Those wireless adapters for your PC are provided by AT&T, gratis, as a convenience to you to help you get connected.  There is no warranty, and having an interface to connect to your RG is really your responsibility.

I am flabergasted that any manufacturer makes a PC that qualifies for Windows 8, yet does not have native 802.11 wireless networking of some sort.

Those wireless adapters for your PC are provided by AT&T, gratis, as a convenience to you to help you get connected.  There is no warranty, and having an interface to connect to your RG is really your responsibility.

I am flabergasted that any manufacturer makes a PC that qualifies for Windows 8, yet does not have native 802.11 wireless networking of some sort.

6 of 9 (202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 9:34:52 PM
(0)
Employee
Colorado42, if a tech visit charge for usb wireless adapter device is $55, or may request a hardwire run from RG to pc, charge labor$99 plus wiring (ca5 cable,ends,etc) $55 for a total of $154.

Best to purchase your own at a lower price elsewhere.

ATT RESPONSIBILITY.....
The Uverse warranty is 1 year on purchased RGs (510,3600, 5031)
Leased RG (3800, 3801, 3812,i38hg, 589)
Leased Set top boxes, DVR, wireless receivers
Outside plant and including NID

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY
All inside wiring After 30 days on initial wiring.
All batteries for remotes, back up battery units (BBU)
Replacement of remotes.
All other devices not paying a month fee for,
Example,each receiver $8 per month covered, not paying monthly fee for, usb adapter as considered a customer purchase item if defective (not abused) contact manufacturer of device.
Colorado42, if a tech visit charge for usb wireless adapter device is $55, or may request a hardwire run from RG to pc, charge labor$99 plus wiring (ca5 cable,ends,etc) $55 for a total of $154.

Best to purchase your own at a lower price elsewhere.

ATT RESPONSIBILITY.....
The Uverse warranty is 1 year on purchased RGs (510,3600, 5031)
Leased RG (3800, 3801, 3812,i38hg, 589)
Leased Set top boxes, DVR, wireless receivers
Outside plant and including NID

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY
All inside wiring After 30 days on initial wiring.
All batteries for remotes, back up battery units (BBU)
Replacement of remotes.
All other devices not paying a month fee for,
Example,each receiver $8 per month covered, not paying monthly fee for, usb adapter as considered a customer purchase item if defective (not abused) contact manufacturer of device.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 9 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 8:50:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the very informative post.

What about for the installation? When the tech left, my computer wasn't able to connect to the internet because of the incompatability issues with the adapter. The only reason it was able to connect at all was because I fiddled with it. Is there a loophole there to get a compatible adapter or is that only if I reported it immediately?

Thanks for the very informative post.

What about for the installation? When the tech left, my computer wasn't able to connect to the internet because of the incompatability issues with the adapter. The only reason it was able to connect at all was because I fiddled with it. Is there a loophole there to get a compatible adapter or is that only if I reported it immediately?

8 of 9 (166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 10:59:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Colorado42 - I read MT's post on the bad side for you - that att has no responsibility in this area. You are ahead for whatever you get. As I posted earlier, your best bet for "goodwill" result is customer care.

I guess you cannot connect wired?? Do you know you can get one for $10??

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10308&cs_id=1030801&p_id=9386&seq=1&format=2

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20wifi%20adap...
Colorado42 - I read MT's post on the bad side for you - that att has no responsibility in this area. You are ahead for whatever you get. As I posted earlier, your best bet for "goodwill" result is customer care.

I guess you cannot connect wired?? Do you know you can get one for $10??

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10308&cs_id=1030801&p_id=9386&seq=1&format=2

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20wifi%20adapter&sprefix=usb+wi-fi+%2Caps%2C175

9 of 9 (157 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments