Windows vista laptop wont connect to uverse wifi

Contributor

Windows vista laptop wont connect to uverse wifi

MY windows vista laptop wont connect to at&t uverse wifi..... Never gets passes unidentified network... not the computer as it will connect to the internet with my iPad hotspot.   Spent 2 hours on the phone with technical support and still no answer.   Any help would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 10
Employee

Re: Windows vista laptop wont connect to uverse wifi

Hi arlene

I apologize you're having some issues with the Wi-Fi. We'll be glad to help you get connected. I just wanted to ask if all your devices (including the iPad) are also having issue connecting to your U-verse wi-fi as well?

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10
Community Support

Hi arlene,

I noticed you had someone out to your house to help resolve the issue. I am glad it is working. Windows Vista has been known to have a lot of issues when connecting wirelessly and apparently this time it was resolved by just changing the encryption from WPA to WEP. I just wanted to post this just in case anyone else comes across this with the same issue.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 10
Contributor

I too am having similar experience. I have had vista running laptop working fine with uverse wireless internet for nearly 2 years. Suddenly one day it stopped. It will connect to the network but local access only. I have a mac, iphone, and android all still connecting fine. I have taken laptop to unsecured wifi and it connects fine. Also had a uverse line man here who changed the network to unsecured and it connected fine....as soon as we secured it again----local access only. No doubt some setting got changed. I have read many blogs and tried many things....even tried changing from WPA2-Personal where it is set to WEP.  Frustrated here.......HELP!!

Message 4 of 10
Contributor

I have the same issue and I can't get it resolved. Can you help?

Message 5 of 10
ACE - Master

Try this......it should get you going.

How to remove the existing wireless network profile in Windows Vista

Suitable for: Wireless

Step 1
Click start button on the task bar, open Control Panel -> (click Network and Internet, if you can´t find it, please go next) -> double click Network and Sharing Center.

Step 2
In the task list, please choose Manage wireless networks.

Step 3
In the Network table, please select the existing profiles and click Remove.

Step 4
You may see a warning dialog box, just click OK.

Step 5
Then you go back to Network and Sharing Center dialog box, and choose Manage network connections -> right click Wireless Network Connection -> click Connect/Disconnect.

Step 6
Click the refresh button to view available wireless networks. Select the correct network which you want to connect, double click it or click Connect button.

Step 7
If the wireless network is secured, it will pop up a window asking for the security key or passphrase. Enter the correct key then click Connect.

Step 8
Save the network and connection, and click Close.

Note:
1. If it keeps connecting to the network or acquiring IP address, please check if you had entered the correct security key/passphrase.

2. If it shows that the connection is Limited or no connectivity, please ensure that you had enabled DHCP server on the wireless router/access point.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10
Contributor

BeeBeeSA,       I did all the above. It says it is connected to my unidentified network (2WIRE network)...local access only. No change

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Master

After much "Googling" I found a couple of things.  Most say they were running Vista Home Premium with Norton Anti Virus and if they did an uninstall thru control panel it did not correct the issue but if they went to the Norton website and used the removal tools their computers started working.

Another person said they did this:

I was haveing the same problem "Access  Local Only".  I tried this and it worked

Click "Start"

Type "cmd" in the search box press "ctrl" + "shift" + "enter"

at the DOS Prompt type "netsh winsock reset" and hit enter

once completed after 30 seconds or so my "red X" on the internet connection was gone, I once again had Local and Internet Connection

I found the solution at

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corrup...

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 10
Contributor

BeeBeeSA. I am running vista home premium with Mcafee thru att/uverse. I have disabled the mcafee and followed your instructions. Still same results. Any other ideas?  

Message 9 of 10
Community Support

Hi glennph1,

One thing worth trying is disabling the wireless security to see if there is a connection issue due to that.

To do so, login to the modem at http://192.168.1.254. (You want to do this with a hardwired computer)

Click on wireless and where it says Wireless Security, choose Disabled.

Also, where it says Network Name (SSID), you may want to rename it so it does not mess with your previous configurations to something like 'TEST'.

From there, try to scan for the TEST network and see if you can connect. If so, the issue may be with your wireless network card drivers and you can try to update them. Otherwise, to ensure you still have a secure network, you can try a different Wireless Security like WEP-OPEN.

Let us know how it goes.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support