Windows Media Center?

Tutor

Windows Media Center?

Greetings -

After years of waiting (why I have no idea) U-Verse is FINALLY available at my location in the North Side of Chicago.  Yay.

Except, as far as I can tell, unless anything has changed recently, U-Verse TV does not work with Windows Media Centrer.  This is a deal breaker for me, as I have all of my media - movies, music, pictures, and yes, cable television - accessible through one box, one remote, one TV input. 

Can anyone, preferably from AT&T, answer what is the status of U-Verse TV working with Windows Media Center?  Again, I hope it is appreciated that while I would become a very happy U-Verse subscriber if I could use it with WMC, I will never switch from cable if I cannot do so.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12 (2,400 Views)
Professor

Re: Windows Media Center?

Never will happen. ATT pulled the Xbox 360 out of the loop, due to if I had to make a guess, MS wanted too much to have ATT allow them to make it App only and the fact, that you needed a Live account to have the XBox 360 as a STB.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

peter0302 - You are saying that your cable company supports windows media center as an STB? I did not know there were any? What is the company?

Or, do you mean you are using WMC to control a cable STB with an IR blaster? If that is what you mean you could do it with U-verse.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12 (2,384 Views)
Professor

It would only happen if the OP had a tuner card, capable of QAM, or Cable Card capable. I know that there are only a small handful that allow a app download to watch their channels that are offered on their systems, through the Xbox-360, but you need a Live account, and have to keep buying the cards that MS sells, through retail outlets, or through their site.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

My current cable provider is RCN - (though this also worked with Comcast).  I use a cablecard and the Ceton Infinitv 4-tuner card, and Windows 7.

RCN has no issue setting it up. 

Comcast required a little convincing because they didn't want to activate it until I lied and told them it was a TiVo, rather than a home theater PC.

Message 5 of 12 (2,376 Views)
Professor

peter0302 wrote:

My current cable provider is RCN - (though this also worked with Comcast).  I use a cablecard and the Ceton Infinitv 4-tuner card, and Windows 7.

RCN has no issue setting it up. 

Comcast required a little convincing because they didn't want to activate it until I lied and told them it was a TiVo, rather than a home theater PC.

Apples and Oranges.  UVerse is IPTV, not conventional QAM like CATV, FiOS is.

The technology may be apples and oranges, but Windows Media Center / Media Room has the capability to support IPTV with full DVR functionality.  This was demonstrated at CES a couple of years ago.  This is purely a business issue, not a technological limitation. 

Actually, it's really a legal issue more than anything, since the FCC requires cable companies to support CableCard.  Unfortunately (to my knowledge) there is no similar mandate for satellite or IPTV.

Message 7 of 12 (2,360 Views)
ACE - Expert

This is purely a business issue, not a technological limitation. - Thats it.

At&t carry contracts do not include it. Content providers do not want it. Your comment on the cable card supports that. Without the FCC pushing, there is no reason for the content providers to include it in their carry contract.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 12 (2,353 Views)
Tutor

Agreed, it's a business issue.  And AT&T won't be getting *my* business unless they work with their content providers to implement this feature. 

Well I made my point I guess. Smiley Happy  Thanks for all the replies.

Message 9 of 12 (2,342 Views)
ACE - Expert

peter0302 - Please know - You are singing to the choir. ( you have heard that expression)
Message 10 of 12 (2,336 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

peter0302 wrote:

Agreed, it's a business issue.  And AT&T won't be getting *my* business unless they work with their content providers to implement this feature. 

Well I made my point I guess. Smiley Happy  Thanks for all the replies.

Content do provide app's, and alot of them allow ATT's customers to use those apps.  Again, going back to your originial question, because it is IPTV, not QAM, ATT has already decided prior to the newer interface & software update on the Xbox-360, that they would no longer support that platform, and require users to lease a box directly from them.

As for the Cable Card, it is at a majority a dead interface by itself, and providers really only want to have users use their boxes, vs. trying to support various platforms using a Cable Card, in an attempt to make things simple for their techs.

Yes very simple.  Set wmc to analog antenna then channel 3.  Won't work on cable, satelite, or digital antenna.  You must have a uverse stb or dvr and use the coax output of the uverse box to the coax input of ur computer.  :-)

Message 12 of 12 (1,918 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.