Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:17:41 AM
View profile
Will the new Sportsnet L A for the Los Angeles Dodgers be available on Uverse

Will the new Sportsnet L A channel for the Los Angeles Dodgers be available on Uverse?

Will the new Sportsnet L A channel for the Los Angeles Dodgers be available on Uverse?

Will the new Sportsnet L A for the Los Angeles Dodgers be available on Uverse

51 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 6:43:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Feb 20, 2014 at 6:47:43 AM

According to this article from February 18, on CBS.com, the only people who will be able to watch Sportsnet LA when it goes live on Tuesday, February 25, are those who have Time Warner Cable. Time Warner Cable does not have any deals in place with other cable and satellite providers according to Joe Flint of the Los Angeles Times.

The article states, "Time Warner is responsible for distributing the channel and since they paid such a high price for the team's broadcasting rights -- reportedly $8.25 billion across 25 years -- they're asking a lot of money from other providers. The cost will eventually trickle down to fans' cable bills."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24447899/dodgers-fans-may-be-left-in-the-dark-when-spor...

Here are additional articles pertaining to carriage of the channel.

From the Los Angeles Times:   http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-tv-vin-scully-sports-net-la-20140204,0,542...

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

According to this article from February 18, on CBS.com, the only people who will be able to watch Sportsnet LA when it goes live on Tuesday, February 25, are those who have Time Warner Cable. Time Warner Cable does not have any deals in place with other cable and satellite providers according to Joe Flint of the Los Angeles Times.

The article states, "Time Warner is responsible for distributing the channel and since they paid such a high price for the team's broadcasting rights -- reportedly $8.25 billion across 25 years -- they're asking a lot of money from other providers. The cost will eventually trickle down to fans' cable bills."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24447899/dodgers-fans-may-be-left-in-the-dark-when-sportsnet-la-launches

Here are additional articles pertaining to carriage of the channel.

From the Los Angeles Times:   http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-tv-vin-scully-sports-net-la-20140204,0,5426527.story#axzz2tsE9xlEg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will the new Sportsnet L A for the Los Angeles Dodgers be available on Uverse

[ Edited ]
2 of 52 (4,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 1:22:11 PM
(0)
Guru

I god I hope Not! All of La Area area TV providers Need  to say NO! to Sportsnet LA Los Angeles Dodgers!

I god I hope Not! All of La Area area TV providers Need  to say NO! to Sportsnet LA Los Angeles Dodgers!

Frankie Say... You Can find me North http://7vmy.sl.pt South http://7vn0.sl.pt East http://7vn2.sl.pt and West http://7vn3.sl.pt Soulseek ID 80newwave

Re: Will the new Sportsnet L A for the Los Angeles Dodgers be available on Uverse

3 of 52 (4,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:20:37 AM
(0)
Contributor
Not a Dodger fan??????
Not a Dodger fan??????

4 of 52 (4,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:30:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

foghornleghorn wrote:
Not a Dodger fan??????

Doesn't matter. All these teams with their own network just jack the prices up for the providers which in turn raises prices for the consumer(fans) who want to watch the games.   Look at what is happening in Houston where the only people getting to watch Astros and Rockets games are those that are on Comcast.  Or any game that is being broadcast on MLB/NBA network and in some cases where like here in Texas, the Astros and Rangers play it's televised on FSSW

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

foghornleghorn wrote:
Not a Dodger fan??????

Doesn't matter. All these teams with their own network just jack the prices up for the providers which in turn raises prices for the consumer(fans) who want to watch the games.   Look at what is happening in Houston where the only people getting to watch Astros and Rockets games are those that are on Comcast.  Or any game that is being broadcast on MLB/NBA network and in some cases where like here in Texas, the Astros and Rangers play it's televised on FSSW

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 52 (4,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 8:00:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out with the Dodgers' new network SportsNet LA. It doesn't effect me personally because I'm in Padres territory. Time Warner's other sports network TWCSN mattered because we get Lakers games down here in San Diego, but Dodgers games will be blacked out anyway so I'm not exactly losing any sleep over it.

However, I'm watching closely to see how (see: if) this is resolved. I've said all along (when the Lakers network was created) that there were too many RSNs in Southern California. I have no idea why the Dodgers think they need a 24/7 network, and why they couldn't be placed on TWCSN even when Time Warner bought their rights. There's already not enough programming on that network to fill a whole day.

Any now, they want to charge more for the Dodgers network than any other local RSN? I'm a huge fan of baseball, but REALLY? Do they not remember that this is BASEBALL? Rating aren't exactly baseball's strong suit. They must think they're in the NFL or something.

I've already heard quotes from most major distributors casting doubt on SportsNet LA. DirecTV, Cox, and U-verse in particular. It will either be l ike TWCSN where there was a lot of talk but then all the deals came through. Or it can be a Comcast SportsNet Houston debacle... time will tell!

In the meantime, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has links to any new info regarding this. Here's the most recent article I've read:

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/set-throw-out-first-pitch-dodgers-network-still-looking-bui...

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out with the Dodgers' new network SportsNet LA. It doesn't effect me personally because I'm in Padres territory. Time Warner's other sports network TWCSN mattered because we get Lakers games down here in San Diego, but Dodgers games will be blacked out anyway so I'm not exactly losing any sleep over it.

However, I'm watching closely to see how (see: if) this is resolved. I've said all along (when the Lakers network was created) that there were too many RSNs in Southern California. I have no idea why the Dodgers think they need a 24/7 network, and why they couldn't be placed on TWCSN even when Time Warner bought their rights. There's already not enough programming on that network to fill a whole day.

Any now, they want to charge more for the Dodgers network than any other local RSN? I'm a huge fan of baseball, but REALLY? Do they not remember that this is BASEBALL? Rating aren't exactly baseball's strong suit. They must think they're in the NFL or something.

I've already heard quotes from most major distributors casting doubt on SportsNet LA. DirecTV, Cox, and U-verse in particular. It will either be l ike TWCSN where there was a lot of talk but then all the deals came through. Or it can be a Comcast SportsNet Houston debacle... time will tell!

In the meantime, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has links to any new info regarding this. Here's the most recent article I've read:

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/set-throw-out-first-pitch-dodgers-network-still-looking-build-distribution-roster/14847

SportsNet LA

6 of 52 (4,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 7:03:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

...sigh... and here we go again. The fans get left out in the cold.

7 of 52 (4,697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 7:57:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

LATigersFan wrote:

Are you blaming U-Verse or Sportsnet LA or both for the situation? No other provider carries the new channel other than Time Warner Cable.

LATigersFan wrote:

Are you blaming U-Verse or Sportsnet LA or both for the situation? No other provider carries the new channel other than Time Warner Cable.

8 of 52 (4,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 12:59:39 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: SportsNet LA

9 of 52 (4,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2014 6:44:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm willing to bet that this channel will have the same problems that CSN Houston is currently having. The Astros and Rockets decided that they need a new RSN just for themsleves and other than Comcast, no other cable provider has picked up the channel. 

With the Astros doing so poorly last season no one watched the channel. There was even a point last season where the rating for one of their late season games was a 0.0. Net network declaired bankruptcy and I don't think it has gone much further than that.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

I'm willing to bet that this channel will have the same problems that CSN Houston is currently having. The Astros and Rockets decided that they need a new RSN just for themsleves and other than Comcast, no other cable provider has picked up the channel. 

With the Astros doing so poorly last season no one watched the channel. There was even a point last season where the rating for one of their late season games was a 0.0. Net network declaired bankruptcy and I don't think it has gone much further than that.

-------

10 of 52 (4,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2014 10:32:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

At least the Dodgers have a better team than the Astros and I can't see them ever having ratings that low, however, these teams / networks are getting out of hand

At least the Dodgers have a better team than the Astros and I can't see them ever having ratings that low, however, these teams / networks are getting out of hand

11 of 52 (4,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2014 5:30:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't want to pay for it so please don't add the dodger channel. 

I don't want to pay for it so please don't add the dodger channel. 

12 of 52 (4,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 7:40:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

The baseball season is coming and will be here before we know it. Will Att Uverse be getting this channel? I will gladly pay extra to watch my Dodgers. We need some excitement since the Lakers aren't doing well this year. Come on Uverse I know how good you are to your customers make this a reality in time for the season.

The baseball season is coming and will be here before we know it. Will Att Uverse be getting this channel? I will gladly pay extra to watch my Dodgers. We need some excitement since the Lakers aren't doing well this year. Come on Uverse I know how good you are to your customers make this a reality in time for the season.

So are we going to get Sports Net LA?

13 of 52 (4,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 7:55:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

We have three separate threads about Sports Net LA. Can the mods combine them?

We have three separate threads about Sports Net LA. Can the mods combine them?

Re: So are we going to get Sports Net LA?

14 of 52 (4,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 5:36:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

Has anyone heard anything if Uverse will be getting the new dodger channel?

Has anyone heard anything if Uverse will be getting the new dodger channel?

Any news on if we are getting Sports Net LA?

15 of 52 (4,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 7:35:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Mar 17, 2014 at 7:37:37 PM

You asked the same question on March 6 and 7 on two other threads which have been combined into one thread. The answer is still "no". People on this forum will find out if U-Verse adds Sports Net LA at the same time you will, when the channel shows up on the guide or there is press release announcement.

No one on this forum can give you any additional information. We are all, for the most part, subscribers to U-Verse just like you.

This is now a third or fourth thread created for this subject. In the future, please use the existing threads. I am sure the moderators will incorporate this thread into the already existing one.

You asked the same question on March 6 and 7 on two other threads which have been combined into one thread. The answer is still "no". People on this forum will find out if U-Verse adds Sports Net LA at the same time you will, when the channel shows up on the guide or there is press release announcement.

No one on this forum can give you any additional information. We are all, for the most part, subscribers to U-Verse just like you.

This is now a third or fourth thread created for this subject. In the future, please use the existing threads. I am sure the moderators will incorporate this thread into the already existing one.

Re: Any news on if we are getting Sports Net LA?

[ Edited ]
16 of 52 (4,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 12:52:06 AM
(0)
Voyager

AT&T U-Verse TV does not carry the Dodgers this year??? Unbelievable!!!!

AT&T U-Verse TV does not carry the Dodgers this year??? Unbelievable!!!!

When will AT&T Uverse carry the Dodgers this year 2014!????

17 of 52 (3,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 8:22:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So complain to the Dodges and Comcast.  Right now the only provider carrying the Dodgers are Comcast and that's it.

So complain to the Dodges and Comcast.  Right now the only provider carrying the Dodgers are Comcast and that's it.

Re: When will AT&T Uverse carry the Dodgers this year 2014!????

18 of 52 (3,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 12:17:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Mar 22, 2014 at 12:18:40 PM

oufanindallas wrote:

I know that the Dodgers and Astros are not univeresally seen in their RSN areas. The St. Louis situation with Fox Sports Midwest was cleared up several seasons ago. Is there still a problem with the coverage of the Padres, Angels, and Braves?

oufanindallas wrote:

I know that the Dodgers and Astros are not univeresally seen in their RSN areas. The St. Louis situation with Fox Sports Midwest was cleared up several seasons ago. Is there still a problem with the coverage of the Padres, Angels, and Braves?

[ Edited ]
19 of 52 (3,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 3:46:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dwinth wrote:

No, those were resolved with the renewal of the carriage agreements with Fox Sports.

dwinth wrote:

No, those were resolved with the renewal of the carriage agreements with Fox Sports.

20 of 52 (3,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 4:54:45 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Beany on Mar 22, 2014 at 5:00:30 PM
  • So far no provider has picked up TWC Sportsnet LA. The reason is the $4.50 per subscriber they are charging.
  • So far no provider has picked up TWC Sportsnet LA. The reason is the $4.50 per subscriber they are charging.

[ Edited ]
21 of 52 (3,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 5:52:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh, is it TWC, I thought it was Comcast, my mistake.  I figured it was another situation like CSHouston.

Oh, is it TWC, I thought it was Comcast, my mistake.  I figured it was another situation like CSHouston.

22 of 52 (3,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 7:34:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

texasguy37 wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Thank you for the information, Texasguy.

texasguy37 wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Thank you for the information, Texasguy.

23 of 52 (3,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 4:28:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

It is, just with TWC instead of Comcast.

-------

oufanindallas wrote:

It is, just with TWC instead of Comcast.

-------

24 of 52 (3,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 8:54:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Both. These are both huge companies with deep pockets. Their job is to provide entertainment. I don't get to only do part of my job. I would get fired. I'm saying, I don't care how. Figure it out. AT&T is not some small start up.

Both. These are both huge companies with deep pockets. Their job is to provide entertainment. I don't get to only do part of my job. I would get fired. I'm saying, I don't care how. Figure it out. AT&T is not some small start up.

25 of 52 (3,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 9:12:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

LATigersFan wrote:

Deep pockets or not, AT&T (and CC, TWC, Dish and so on) are for profit companies.  They have to look at each channel to see if it can happen and not raise rates or effect the bottom line.  It's more than price.  Some of these channel providers want placement on every tier.  The TV providers want them to be a bit higher up.  U-Verse also has to buy receiving and encoding equipment for each channel - an expense the Comcast's and TWC of the world do not have to comtend with.   The TV providers also want multi-screen access (ip[ad, Android, PC and so on), whereas the channel owners want additional $ for that.  So, if they really are asking over $4/month per subscriber, that would be a tough sell.

LATigersFan wrote:

Deep pockets or not, AT&T (and CC, TWC, Dish and so on) are for profit companies.  They have to look at each channel to see if it can happen and not raise rates or effect the bottom line.  It's more than price.  Some of these channel providers want placement on every tier.  The TV providers want them to be a bit higher up.  U-Verse also has to buy receiving and encoding equipment for each channel - an expense the Comcast's and TWC of the world do not have to comtend with.   The TV providers also want multi-screen access (ip[ad, Android, PC and so on), whereas the channel owners want additional $ for that.  So, if they really are asking over $4/month per subscriber, that would be a tough sell.

26 of 52 (3,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 9:56:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So, if they really are asking over $4/month per subscriber, that would be a tough sell.

Granted it's an RSN, but just for the sake of argument, that's a lot of dough. Say AT&T has 4 million subscribers will have access to that channel, that's $16 MILLION / month for a channel that only subscribers in LA could watch any professional games.

Granted there will be other programs on that channel, but not enough to fork over that kind of cash for one channel.

So, if they really are asking over $4/month per subscriber, that would be a tough sell.

Granted it's an RSN, but just for the sake of argument, that's a lot of dough. Say AT&T has 4 million subscribers will have access to that channel, that's $16 MILLION / month for a channel that only subscribers in LA could watch any professional games.

Granted there will be other programs on that channel, but not enough to fork over that kind of cash for one channel.

27 of 52 (3,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 10:27:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Maybe that would be $4/subscriber, only in SoCal?  

On another point: I do not understand how I get some RSN's with my HD Premium Tier and some I don't get.

oufanindallas wrote:

Maybe that would be $4/subscriber, only in SoCal?  

On another point: I do not understand how I get some RSN's with my HD Premium Tier and some I don't get.

28 of 52 (3,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 11:50:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, while I appreciate the thorough and very informative answer, I am now completely depressed. I will not switch to TWC. And if U-Verse simply won't carry SportsNetLA, then here I sit with no options. Again, TWC is not an option. For what it's worth, I would pay the $4 a month. You guys tell me if anyone from AT&T monitors this forum. If so, did you hear that AT&T? I'll pay the four dollars a month! Smiley Sad

Well, while I appreciate the thorough and very informative answer, I am now completely depressed. I will not switch to TWC. And if U-Verse simply won't carry SportsNetLA, then here I sit with no options. Again, TWC is not an option. For what it's worth, I would pay the $4 a month. You guys tell me if anyone from AT&T monitors this forum. If so, did you hear that AT&T? I'll pay the four dollars a month! Smiley Sad

29 of 52 (3,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 2:15:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

LATigersFan wrote:

It would be more than $4/month to you.  The $4 carriage fee would go completely to the Dodgers as the carriage fee charged to AT&T.  AT&T would need an addtional amount from you to cover it's costs.

LATigersFan wrote:

It would be more than $4/month to you.  The $4 carriage fee would go completely to the Dodgers as the carriage fee charged to AT&T.  AT&T would need an addtional amount from you to cover it's costs.

30 of 52 (3,457 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments