Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 16, 2013
8:47:34 AM
View profile
Will the X1 make U-Verse get a better DVR / Platform / Service?

I've been seeing lots of ads for Xfinity's new X1 Platform.  It mentions being able to record 4 streams while watching a fifth, in a whole house DVR type environment.  One of the ads mentioned the system providing reccomendations on what to watch/record.  Some cursory web searching reveals a few apps for the platform, too, including Pandora.  While I probably would never go back to Comcast, this and Dish's Hopper sounds like the future of TV / entertainment to me. 

I've been somewhat critical that U-Verse's forward progress has been slowed.  Maybe these new era DVR's will get AT&T motivated?  There has been talk of U-Verse, going to the "cloud," so maybe!

http://bwone.com/comcast-x1-box-an-in-depth-look/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/21/comcast-x1-dvr-iphone-app-launch/

I've been seeing lots of ads for Xfinity's new X1 Platform.  It mentions being able to record 4 streams while watching a fifth, in a whole house DVR type environment.  One of the ads mentioned the system providing reccomendations on what to watch/record.  Some cursory web searching reveals a few apps for the platform, too, including Pandora.  While I probably would never go back to Comcast, this and Dish's Hopper sounds like the future of TV / entertainment to me. 

I've been somewhat critical that U-Verse's forward progress has been slowed.  Maybe these new era DVR's will get AT&T motivated?  There has been talk of U-Verse, going to the "cloud," so maybe!

http://bwone.com/comcast-x1-box-an-in-depth-look/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/21/comcast-x1-dvr-iphone-app-launch/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Will the X1 make U-Verse get a better DVR / Platform / Service?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 3:24:44 PM
(0)
Expert

Rumor is that a new profile will be released sometime this year which will provide 6 streams which is more than the Comcast DVR.

Rumor is that a new profile will be released sometime this year which will provide 6 streams which is more than the Comcast DVR.

Re: Will the X1 make U-Verse get a better DVR / Platform / Service?

2 of 11 (3,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 9:29:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

And I understand that.  BUT will that be it?  I hope not but if it's a "one trick pony," I won't be too amused.  I really feel that U-Verse is a good, solid service but it sure could be a lot more.

To be honest, AT&T Wireless has its knickers bunched up over T-Mobile's JUMP program.  I hope that they share some love on the U-Verse side with developments of X1 and the Hopper.

texasguy37 wrote:

And I understand that.  BUT will that be it?  I hope not but if it's a "one trick pony," I won't be too amused.  I really feel that U-Verse is a good, solid service but it sure could be a lot more.

To be honest, AT&T Wireless has its knickers bunched up over T-Mobile's JUMP program.  I hope that they share some love on the U-Verse side with developments of X1 and the Hopper.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (2,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 6:53:12 AM
(0)
Guru

I  think X1, at least the new DVR piece, has been mostly vaporware and rolling out slower than any AT&T has ever done. 

I  think X1, at least the new DVR piece, has been mostly vaporware and rolling out slower than any AT&T has ever done. 

4 of 11 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 7:23:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Could be but we could just as easily exchange "X1" with Dish's Hopper.  It really, really is time for a complete GUI  and functionality change.   AT&T has been moving in that direction with the redesign of the VOD and Weather on Demand but things like recommendations, more and better apps should be a part of any upgrade.  Just my opinion.

Could be but we could just as easily exchange "X1" with Dish's Hopper.  It really, really is time for a complete GUI  and functionality change.   AT&T has been moving in that direction with the redesign of the VOD and Weather on Demand but things like recommendations, more and better apps should be a part of any upgrade.  Just my opinion.

5 of 11 (2,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:00:16 AM
(0)
Master

dhascall wrote:

Sure you can pile more apps on top of the Uverse system, maybe glitz up the GUI, but isn't that just putting lipstick on a pig.

The problem, IMHO, with AT&T, is their platform/infrastructure. Unless there is a major breakthrough in compression technology and transmission protocols, AT&T is working in an ever dwindling environment. They are already complaining about running out of bandwidth. To the point of limiting internet access. They are also limited by distance in that the farther from the VRAD the fewer streams you get. So increasing the number of streams will only benefit a select few who are close to the VRAD and/or have premium level signal quality. One of the few providers where system upgrades don't benefit all their customers using the same service.

Now, when the "other" providers can come up with features like multiple DVRs and virtually unlimited (local, not cloud) DVR storage, they'll start to catch up with Dish and it's Hopper system (which is not vaporware or press releases). My current config includes two Hoppers (DVRs) and two Joeys with 6 or 9 live HD streams and 7 TB of DVR storage. More Hoppers equal more streams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

dhascall wrote:

Sure you can pile more apps on top of the Uverse system, maybe glitz up the GUI, but isn't that just putting lipstick on a pig.

The problem, IMHO, with AT&T, is their platform/infrastructure. Unless there is a major breakthrough in compression technology and transmission protocols, AT&T is working in an ever dwindling environment. They are already complaining about running out of bandwidth. To the point of limiting internet access. They are also limited by distance in that the farther from the VRAD the fewer streams you get. So increasing the number of streams will only benefit a select few who are close to the VRAD and/or have premium level signal quality. One of the few providers where system upgrades don't benefit all their customers using the same service.

Now, when the "other" providers can come up with features like multiple DVRs and virtually unlimited (local, not cloud) DVR storage, they'll start to catch up with Dish and it's Hopper system (which is not vaporware or press releases). My current config includes two Hoppers (DVRs) and two Joeys with 6 or 9 live HD streams and 7 TB of DVR storage. More Hoppers equal more streams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

6 of 11 (2,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:32:34 AM
(0)
Employee

Computer-Joe wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Vectoring is likely in the U-verse future ...

http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/solutions/vdsl2-vectoring

It will permit greater throughput which will permit the expansion of stream count without further compression.

Computer-Joe wrote:

dhascall wrote:

It will permit greater throughput which will permit the expansion of stream count without further compression.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 11 (2,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 10:39:30 AM
(0)
Master

ScottMac wrote:

That might help the trunk lines where crosstalk is the problem, but out on the fringe the problem is old, degraded, over-spliced lines on the customers "last mile".

ScottMac wrote:

That might help the trunk lines where crosstalk is the problem, but out on the fringe the problem is old, degraded, over-spliced lines on the customers "last mile".

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 11 (2,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 7:17:12 AM
(0)
Employee

Computer-Joe wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Vectoring goes all the way to the CPE. It's also "no touch" for customer's that don't want that much throughput; meaning it doesn't require a CPE upgrade for anyone that doesn't want the higher capacity ... people that do get a new RG.

Computer-Joe wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Vectoring goes all the way to the CPE. It's also "no touch" for customer's that don't want that much throughput; meaning it doesn't require a CPE upgrade for anyone that doesn't want the higher capacity ... people that do get a new RG.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 11 (2,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 9:53:19 AM
(0)
Master

ScottMac wrote:

Yes vectoring goes all the way to the customer in that you will need a new modem for it to work. Unfortunately, as I stated before, Vectoring is not the magic bullet because it only deals with one type or source of noise. There's a whole slew of other issues that vectoring will not address

Also, to reap it's full (theoretical) potential, it appears there are a lot of if's and has to be's which will require providers to have all their ducks in a row.

I'm sure, if they utilize it (properly), vectoring will improve things, but I highly doubt it's going to give you eight streams and 50Mb internet.

The question boils down to how long can you software patch your way out of a hardware limitation, i.e. old, poorly maintained copper.

ScottMac wrote:

Yes vectoring goes all the way to the customer in that you will need a new modem for it to work. Unfortunately, as I stated before, Vectoring is not the magic bullet because it only deals with one type or source of noise. There's a whole slew of other issues that vectoring will not address

Also, to reap it's full (theoretical) potential, it appears there are a lot of if's and has to be's which will require providers to have all their ducks in a row.

I'm sure, if they utilize it (properly), vectoring will improve things, but I highly doubt it's going to give you eight streams and 50Mb internet.

The question boils down to how long can you software patch your way out of a hardware limitation, i.e. old, poorly maintained copper.

neon_sign.jpg

10 of 11 (2,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 5:04:27 PM
(0)
Employee

Computer-Joe wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Well, wait & see. The tests I've seen are all quite promising.

Computer-Joe wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Well, wait & see. The tests I've seen are all quite promising.

Sent from my phone.

11 of 11 (2,444 Views)