Helpful Links

Wifi connectivity issues with switch

Tutor

Wifi connectivity issues with switch

I seem to be having issues with my wifi connectivity and one of my laptops. I recently purchased a switch to add more ports since the router only had so many. Since hooking up the switch one of my laptops no longer sees the router. I unplug the switch and it connects with no issues. What could be the issue here?
Message 1 of 12

Re: Wifi connectivity issues with switch

rducky wrote:
I seem to be having issues with my wifi connectivity and one of my laptops. I recently purchased a switch to add more ports since the router only had so many. Since hooking up the switch one of my laptops no longer sees the router. I unplug the switch and it connects with no issues. What could be the issue here?

What is the make and model of your modem/router?

What is the make and model of the switch you bought?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 2 of 12
Tutor

The routers model number is 3801HGV and the switch is a D-Link DGS-1008G
Message 3 of 12

rducky wrote:
The routers model number is 3801HGV and the switch is a D-Link DGS-1008G

It's odd that it only knocks out one wireless device. It could be due to either the QOS, or the Power Saving features, or both on the DLink.

You might want to return it and try this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122128

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 4 of 12
Tutor

I'm not exactly understanding how the switch is knocking out a wireless device trying to connect to the modem. Why is the switch the problem?
Message 5 of 12

rducky wrote:
I'm not exactly understanding how the switch is knocking out a wireless device trying to connect to the modem. Why is the switch the problem?

Not positive that is the issue, but my theory is this.

The DLink can reduce and/or shut off power to ports depending on usage and/or cable length. If it does this to the port connected to the 3801, the 3801 may try to compensate by sending more power to the port connected to the DLink. This could reduce the power available to the wireless radio in the 3801. If the wireless in your laptop is weak the 3801 needs additional radio power to make and maintain the connection. If theres not enough power to the radio, no wireless connection for weak devices.

I know on some 2WIRE gateways, if the power supply starts to fail, the wireless is first to suffer. Often this will be manifested by the gateway rebooting itself when trying to connect a wireless device.

I know that the Netgear GS line (GS-108 normally) are the switches the installers normally use when setting up service that needs more than the 4 ports provided on the gateway.

neon_sign.jpg

Message 6 of 12
Tutor

Well besides that solution, what else could it be?
Message 7 of 12
ACE - Expert

rducky - Do you have TV and internet mixed on the same switch. The TV could be flooding the switch. Keep TV and internet on separate paths back to the RG.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 12
Tutor

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. The router is connected to the wall. On the router itself I have the AP for the wireless boxes around the house, the main DVR box and the switch. On the switch is my PC and a bluray device.
Message 9 of 12
ACE - Expert

rducky - OK, If the WAP was plugged in to the switch or you had a wired TV plugged into the switch, it would be mixing TV and internet. Since you only have a PC & BR on the switch, it is internet only.

How close is the switch to the router?? Is it on the same electrical feed?? How far away can you move it?? just in case it is radiating some kind of interference.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 12

Is the laptop you're having issues with the only wireless device besides the wireless set-top-boxes?

Does the switch cause the problem if you don't have the PC and BR player plugged into it?

If you have the laptop connected and then plug in the switch does it disconnect the laptop?

neon_sign.jpg

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

The laptop is the only device I'm having an issue with. I unplugged things from the switch one by one and then even unplugged the switch and the laptop still had issues seeing the network. It eventually does see it but just refuses to connect after I enter the password.The laptop is right next to the router, so is the switch. I can connect to my hotspot via my phone just fine with the laptop.

*A side note. I just turned on the hotspot and right away the laptop connects to it. Cut off the hotspot and it now sees the att routers network and connects.

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support