Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Sep 15, 2013
3:54:59 PM
View profile
Wifi boxes - picture "skips" or "jumps" periodically

Hi,

We have uverse installed back at the end of June - replacing time warner cable - and have generally been very happy. However, there's one nagging issue - which is worse now with the start of football season. We have three boxes - two wifi and a wired DVR. The picutre on the wifi box willl "jump" or "skip" roughly every 10 seconds. It's what I'd describe as a dropped frame (though I'm not sure of the right terminology H.264 terms).

As far as I can see this is sepcific to the wifi box. If I swap the DVR for one of the wifi boxes, the issue follows the wifi box. If I swap from wifi to ethernet on the wifi box, the issue is still there. It's not a network problem.

I have two basic questions:

1) Is anyone else seeing this? I'd be surprised if this was the case. Frankly, this looks like a hardware or software bug in the wifi box.

2) What are my options? I'd be happy to swap one of the wifi boxes for a different model or a wired only model to test. How can I do this? Note that the wifi is note required in my use case - I can use hard wired ethernet.

Thanks!

George

Hi,

We have uverse installed back at the end of June - replacing time warner cable - and have generally been very happy. However, there's one nagging issue - which is worse now with the start of football season. We have three boxes - two wifi and a wired DVR. The picutre on the wifi box willl "jump" or "skip" roughly every 10 seconds. It's what I'd describe as a dropped frame (though I'm not sure of the right terminology H.264 terms).

As far as I can see this is sepcific to the wifi box. If I swap the DVR for one of the wifi boxes, the issue follows the wifi box. If I swap from wifi to ethernet on the wifi box, the issue is still there. It's not a network problem.

I have two basic questions:

1) Is anyone else seeing this? I'd be surprised if this was the case. Frankly, this looks like a hardware or software bug in the wifi box.

2) What are my options? I'd be happy to swap one of the wifi boxes for a different model or a wired only model to test. How can I do this? Note that the wifi is note required in my use case - I can use hard wired ethernet.

Thanks!

George

Wifi boxes - picture "skips" or "jumps" periodically

8 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 4:13:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Reverhart - The problem does not require another model, just another instance of the same model. Such a problem could be your wiring (or wireless) or a defective box. It sounds like you did good trouble shooting & it is down to the box. You need to call or chat to let at&t go through their steps & probably end up sending you a new box & you ship the old one back.

What you describe is not any where near normal. It sounds like loss of signal that comes back before the error screen activates.
Reverhart - The problem does not require another model, just another instance of the same model. Such a problem could be your wiring (or wireless) or a defective box. It sounds like you did good trouble shooting & it is down to the box. You need to call or chat to let at&t go through their steps & probably end up sending you a new box & you ship the old one back.

What you describe is not any where near normal. It sounds like loss of signal that comes back before the error screen activates.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Wifi boxes - picture "skips" or "jumps" periodically

2 of 9 (654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 4:37:13 PM
(0)
Voyager
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. On this being a problem with a particule box - maybe, however we see the same behavior with both of the two wifi boxes we have. Perhaps they both have the same issue. They were both installed at the same time, I guess there could be a bad batch of receivers.

I'm doubting the wiring / wifi just because if tried a number of combinations and consistently see the same behavior with the wifi boxes only.

Also, the "jump" I'm seeing is short - may not be obvious to all veirewers, I had to point it out specifically to my wife. It's something like jumping forward perhaps 1/10th of a second.

Thanks-
George.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. On this being a problem with a particule box - maybe, however we see the same behavior with both of the two wifi boxes we have. Perhaps they both have the same issue. They were both installed at the same time, I guess there could be a bad batch of receivers.

I'm doubting the wiring / wifi just because if tried a number of combinations and consistently see the same behavior with the wifi boxes only.

Also, the "jump" I'm seeing is short - may not be obvious to all veirewers, I had to point it out specifically to my wife. It's something like jumping forward perhaps 1/10th of a second.

Thanks-
George.

3 of 9 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 4:44:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Reverhart wrote:

You can use a wired connection on a wireless receiver.  You can connect the wireless receiver to the U-verse gateway using an ethernet cable.  If you try this, you would need to disconnect the WAP used by the wireless receivers from the U-verse gateway so that the wireless receivers do not connect both wireless and wired at the same time.

Reverhart wrote:

You can use a wired connection on a wireless receiver.  You can connect the wireless receiver to the U-verse gateway using an ethernet cable.  If you try this, you would need to disconnect the WAP used by the wireless receivers from the U-verse gateway so that the wireless receivers do not connect both wireless and wired at the same time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 4:32:56 PM
(0)
Voyager
I've tried the wired option on the wireless boxes - there's no difference. Looks like I'll need to call and work through the process with AT&T.

Thanks.
I've tried the wired option on the wireless boxes - there's no difference. Looks like I'll need to call and work through the process with AT&T.

Thanks.

5 of 9 (523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2016 6:42:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
I, too, have the same setup. 2 wifi, 1 wired dvr. Picture jumps on both wifi boxes, but not the dvr. Performed the same troubleshooting. Guess I'll have to contact att.
I, too, have the same setup. 2 wifi, 1 wired dvr. Picture jumps on both wifi boxes, but not the dvr. Performed the same troubleshooting. Guess I'll have to contact att.

6 of 9 (107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2016 7:26:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@ttct62312  Have to move the WAP for the wireless STBs 5-6' or more away from the RG so there is no interference.  Some users have posted they lay the WAP down sideways to match up better w/horizontal antennas in the wireless STBs.  Polarization can make a difference.

Then I'd do a whole house reboot.

Unplug the RG and DVR and STB(s)and any WAP for wireless receiver(s), wait 30 seconds and plug the RG back in.

When that turns all green, then plug the DVR back in and wait until it reboots. Then if there is a WAP, plug it in and let it turn green. Make sure it is 5-6' from the RG.

Then plug in the STB(s), wait til it reboots and see if the wireless STBs are OK.

Acronym Guide so you understand all terms: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17724

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

@ttct62312  Have to move the WAP for the wireless STBs 5-6' or more away from the RG so there is no interference.  Some users have posted they lay the WAP down sideways to match up better w/horizontal antennas in the wireless STBs.  Polarization can make a difference.

Then I'd do a whole house reboot.

Unplug the RG and DVR and STB(s)and any WAP for wireless receiver(s), wait 30 seconds and plug the RG back in.

When that turns all green, then plug the DVR back in and wait until it reboots. Then if there is a WAP, plug it in and let it turn green. Make sure it is 5-6' from the RG.

Then plug in the STB(s), wait til it reboots and see if the wireless STBs are OK.

Acronym Guide so you understand all terms: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17724

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

7 of 9 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2016 7:42:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
My RG and WAP was originally installed in the southwest corner of my basement. I first moved the WAP to the center of the house, via a longer Ethernet cable. Still had the issue. I just think I have two bad boxes. I've got a buddy with the same setup, and his two wireless boxes are ok. I've literally tried everything suggested, and nothing has worked.
My RG and WAP was originally installed in the southwest corner of my basement. I first moved the WAP to the center of the house, via a longer Ethernet cable. Still had the issue. I just think I have two bad boxes. I've got a buddy with the same setup, and his two wireless boxes are ok. I've literally tried everything suggested, and nothing has worked.

8 of 9 (91 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2016 7:49:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@ttct62312   Contact ATT Uverse Care on the link in my signature below.

Send them a Private Message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your Uverse service 2 wireless STB problems.

Include your name, account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. They can do more than any phone rep and stick w/it till it's done. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

@ttct62312   Contact ATT Uverse Care on the link in my signature below.

Send them a Private Message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your Uverse service 2 wireless STB problems.

Include your name, account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. They can do more than any phone rep and stick w/it till it's done. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

9 of 9 (89 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments