Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jul 5, 2012
7:28:47 AM
View profile
Wifi Repeater that works with 2WIRE Modem

My 2WIRE modem/router was installed at one end of my house. The wifi signal does not make it all the way across the house. I'd have to pay AT&T to move the router which I'd rather not do. I bought the SR300 Smart Repeater from Amped Wireless that worked initially but no longer does. After several conversations with their tech support (which is very good and free!) I've determined that the 2WIRE does not play well with my repeater. The folks at Amped claim that this is an intentional limitation programmed into the 2WIRE by AT&T. When I spoke with AT&T U-verse support they suggested that I could by a repeater but could not give me a list of brands/products that will work with the 2WIRE device. Has anyone else been able to boost their signal off of the 2WIRE router?

My 2WIRE modem/router was installed at one end of my house. The wifi signal does not make it all the way across the house. I'd have to pay AT&T to move the router which I'd rather not do. I bought the SR300 Smart Repeater from Amped Wireless that worked initially but no longer does. After several conversations with their tech support (which is very good and free!) I've determined that the 2WIRE does not play well with my repeater. The folks at Amped claim that this is an intentional limitation programmed into the 2WIRE by AT&T. When I spoke with AT&T U-verse support they suggested that I could by a repeater but could not give me a list of brands/products that will work with the 2WIRE device. Has anyone else been able to boost their signal off of the 2WIRE router?

Wifi Repeater that works with 2WIRE Modem

5 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2012 4:18:34 PM
(0)
Contributor
i would recommend installing DD-WRT firmware on a second, standard router and using it as a repeater i bought a used cisco router on ebay for $15, flashed the firmware and am using this as a repeater with great success in a dead area of my residence i have a netgear router also which has built in (Switchable) repeater functionality though i have not experimented with it good luck!
i would recommend installing DD-WRT firmware on a second, standard router and using it as a repeater i bought a used cisco router on ebay for $15, flashed the firmware and am using this as a repeater with great success in a dead area of my residence i have a netgear router also which has built in (Switchable) repeater functionality though i have not experimented with it good luck!

Re: Wifi Repeater that works with 2WIRE Modem

2 of 6 (28,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 9:58:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I use a Netgear Repeater and it works fine.  I "think" it is a WRT2000.  I am not at home at the moment so can't confirm the model, but if you go to the Netgear site, they should show it.

I use a Netgear Repeater and it works fine.  I "think" it is a WRT2000.  I am not at home at the moment so can't confirm the model, but if you go to the Netgear site, they should show it.

3 of 6 (28,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 3:01:36 PM
(0)
Master

i will second the Netgear products as they seem more compatible with Uverse.

i will second the Netgear products as they seem more compatible with Uverse.

4 of 6 (28,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 9:19:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I finally got my Linksys router working with the 2WIRE router.  Like everyone else, I couldn't get my repeater to work with the 2WIRE router, but it worked with my LinkSys router.  I got nowhere with Uverse technical support.  However, this is what I did.

I changed the IP address on my Linksys router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1.  Then set the router for DHCP.  Plugged the router into the 2WIRE router (or access point as AT&T likes to call it) and let it get an address from there.  Viola.  Everything works.  Now I can return back to using OpenDNS and have full control over my router.

I also have my repeater working again with the LinkSys router.  I'm going to let everything ride for now.  In about a week, I plan to turn off the Wifi broadcasting from the 2WIRE router and route all traffic through my trusty LinkSys router.  

I finally got my Linksys router working with the 2WIRE router.  Like everyone else, I couldn't get my repeater to work with the 2WIRE router, but it worked with my LinkSys router.  I got nowhere with Uverse technical support.  However, this is what I did.

I changed the IP address on my Linksys router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1.  Then set the router for DHCP.  Plugged the router into the 2WIRE router (or access point as AT&T likes to call it) and let it get an address from there.  Viola.  Everything works.  Now I can return back to using OpenDNS and have full control over my router.

I also have my repeater working again with the LinkSys router.  I'm going to let everything ride for now.  In about a week, I plan to turn off the Wifi broadcasting from the 2WIRE router and route all traffic through my trusty LinkSys router.  

5 of 6 (22,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 12:03:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
My 2WIRE modem/router's signal is very weak at one end of my house. I bought a Hawking Repeater which works great but it will drop the signal from the 2WIRE daily which means I have to reboot the repeater daily. Hawking has suggested switching the Channel to 11 for a more stable (but weaker) signal. I just tried doing this last night. The jury is still out on whether this will work or not. Need to give it a few days. I really do not think it is your repeater. I believe it is the 2WIRE which resets randomly to different channels.
My 2WIRE modem/router's signal is very weak at one end of my house. I bought a Hawking Repeater which works great but it will drop the signal from the 2WIRE daily which means I have to reboot the repeater daily. Hawking has suggested switching the Channel to 11 for a more stable (but weaker) signal. I just tried doing this last night. The jury is still out on whether this will work or not. Need to give it a few days. I really do not think it is your repeater. I believe it is the 2WIRE which resets randomly to different channels.

6 of 6 (13,741 Views)