Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 27, 2013
7:32:11 PM
View profile
Why won't At&T show me a sales summary or contract before I place an order for service??

I'm not sure I understand... 

I've been talking and emailing with the telephone sales team at AT&T about purchasing AT&T bundled services. The salesperson was friendly and informative.  She answered all my questions, except one very important one.  "Can I see that offer in writing"? 

According to the telephone salesperson, only after I "place an order" for AT&T services will I receive a written offer or summary of the agreement?  The salesperson called this a "Customer Service Summary".  That sounds backwards, shouldn't I have the written offer first, so that I can read it, understand what I’m ordering, then if I agree with the offer, order the service?  The AT&T sales team will tell me verbally over the phone what I'll receive and the cost, but when I want to see it in writing, before I place the order, the salesperson won't agree?  WHY?  How am I to know what I'm agreeing to in the sale without a written offer or summary?

How about the required 1 year contract and the 2 year price guarantee?  Can I review the contract prior to ordering the service?  I don't think so...

Did everyone not have something written from AT&T that stated what the were buying, cost, terms of agreement, etc before they ordered service?

I'm interested in their services, but they're making it hard for me to purchase.

Thanks,

Saturn-V

I'm not sure I understand... 

I've been talking and emailing with the telephone sales team at AT&T about purchasing AT&T bundled services. The salesperson was friendly and informative.  She answered all my questions, except one very important one.  "Can I see that offer in writing"? 

According to the telephone salesperson, only after I "place an order" for AT&T services will I receive a written offer or summary of the agreement?  The salesperson called this a "Customer Service Summary".  That sounds backwards, shouldn't I have the written offer first, so that I can read it, understand what I’m ordering, then if I agree with the offer, order the service?  The AT&T sales team will tell me verbally over the phone what I'll receive and the cost, but when I want to see it in writing, before I place the order, the salesperson won't agree?  WHY?  How am I to know what I'm agreeing to in the sale without a written offer or summary?

How about the required 1 year contract and the 2 year price guarantee?  Can I review the contract prior to ordering the service?  I don't think so...

Did everyone not have something written from AT&T that stated what the were buying, cost, terms of agreement, etc before they ordered service?

I'm interested in their services, but they're making it hard for me to purchase.

Thanks,

Saturn-V

Why won't At&T show me a sales summary or contract before I place an order for service??

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 7:55:11 PM
(0)
Master

Order online,  you will see what you are buying before you push the order button.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Order online,  you will see what you are buying before you push the order button.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Re: Why won't At&T show me a sales summary or contract before I place an order for service??

2 of 13 (1,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 10:22:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

When I first joined U-Verse in 2008, I was not on a contract.  I received NOTHING in writing.

Recently, a promotion expired.  I called retentions, got a deal but was told I was committed for one year with U-Verse.  I never received a contract or anything in writing.  Is that how it's supposed to be?  Basically, could they collect an ETF on what is not even a handshake deal?

When I first joined U-Verse in 2008, I was not on a contract.  I received NOTHING in writing.

Recently, a promotion expired.  I called retentions, got a deal but was told I was committed for one year with U-Verse.  I never received a contract or anything in writing.  Is that how it's supposed to be?  Basically, could they collect an ETF on what is not even a handshake deal?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why won't At&T show me a sales summary or contract before I place an order for service??

3 of 13 (1,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 12:14:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

Even if I did order online, I'd still like to see the wording of the contract.  Apparently a contract isn't made available until AFTER you order service, which is backwards.  In any normal business deal, you're offered a contract, read the terms and conditions, then sign the contract if you agree to the terms stated in the contract.  AT&T would like me to order the service before I read the contract.  Really?  How do I know what I'm agreeing to?

I've read several previous posts about rates changing after sales people made promises that weren't honored.  If the terms are in the AT&T contract, then I have much firmer legal standing if a dispute occurs.. This is why contracts exist, so BOTH parties understand what they're agreeing to, not just one.  It settles disputes before they occur. AT&T makes me an offer, sends me a contract, I review the contract, sign (or don't sign) and we have a deal.  Most contracts are legally enforceable, you should read them before agreeing to the content.

All I'm after is to see the contract before ordering the service!  What could possibly be so difficult about that?

Even if I did order online, I'd still like to see the wording of the contract.  Apparently a contract isn't made available until AFTER you order service, which is backwards.  In any normal business deal, you're offered a contract, read the terms and conditions, then sign the contract if you agree to the terms stated in the contract.  AT&T would like me to order the service before I read the contract.  Really?  How do I know what I'm agreeing to?

I've read several previous posts about rates changing after sales people made promises that weren't honored.  If the terms are in the AT&T contract, then I have much firmer legal standing if a dispute occurs.. This is why contracts exist, so BOTH parties understand what they're agreeing to, not just one.  It settles disputes before they occur. AT&T makes me an offer, sends me a contract, I review the contract, sign (or don't sign) and we have a deal.  Most contracts are legally enforceable, you should read them before agreeing to the content.

All I'm after is to see the contract before ordering the service!  What could possibly be so difficult about that?

4 of 13 (1,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 1:03:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Saturn-V wrote:

AT&T gives you 30 days to review the service and contract before enforcing a penalty for breaking the contract.

However, if you can't wait, the terms of service are available here: http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

Saturn-V wrote:

AT&T gives you 30 days to review the service and contract before enforcing a penalty for breaking the contract.

However, if you can't wait, the terms of service are available here: http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (1,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 6:44:44 PM
(0)
Professor
It is in the Terms of Service, as to what you are getting into. It is oh, about the size of a small novel, with all of the lawyer speak.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

6 of 13 (1,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2013 11:50:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey Saturn I totally agree with you, I just signed up for my U-Verse Service in store.  When I signed up they asked what I was paying with Cox then made a deal to beat it and agreed to waive activation fees and everything because I told them if I signed up online it would be waived.  According to my customer service summary which I got after signing up..I should be paying around 72 $ for everything.  Well my first bill arrived and of course I was expecting some prorated charges, well It was for 202 $ I had a 49.99 $ Acitivation fee and nearly half of the discounts offered in store and in my customer service summary were not taken off..so becaureful.

Hey Saturn I totally agree with you, I just signed up for my U-Verse Service in store.  When I signed up they asked what I was paying with Cox then made a deal to beat it and agreed to waive activation fees and everything because I told them if I signed up online it would be waived.  According to my customer service summary which I got after signing up..I should be paying around 72 $ for everything.  Well my first bill arrived and of course I was expecting some prorated charges, well It was for 202 $ I had a 49.99 $ Acitivation fee and nearly half of the discounts offered in store and in my customer service summary were not taken off..so becaureful.

7 of 13 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 5:41:51 AM
(0)
Master

Anthony.Janet wrote:

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. List Private Messages

Anthony.Janet wrote:

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. List Private Messages

8 of 13 (1,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2013 12:56:54 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Anthony.Janet,

Just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you within 24 hours.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi Anthony.Janet,

Just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you within 24 hours.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

9 of 13 (1,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 4:12:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Aug 11, 2013 at 4:49:25 PM

ATT violates a lot of basic business practices.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ATT violates a lot of basic business practices.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
10 of 13 (1,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 6:23:09 PM
(0)
Master

AA------------------ wrote:

Proof?

AA------------------ wrote:

Proof?

11 of 13 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 8:55:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Because, in my opinion, they love to avoid giving you certain information, like you will be charged 7 cents a minute for your calls. Both gentlemen who came here (about 17 months apart) said the channel numbers would stay the same. The last one took my figures and said I would save $35 per month. Not so much, but my wife said to go ahead. With the lack of honesty on their part, we just saved $9. And we have 2 holes through walls now!

Because, in my opinion, they love to avoid giving you certain information, like you will be charged 7 cents a minute for your calls. Both gentlemen who came here (about 17 months apart) said the channel numbers would stay the same. The last one took my figures and said I would save $35 per month. Not so much, but my wife said to go ahead. With the lack of honesty on their part, we just saved $9. And we have 2 holes through walls now!

12 of 13 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 9:48:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I found a promotional flyer saying I could bundle phone & internet for $39 a month. The person at AT&T confirmed it, so I signed up. I started getting enormous bills (I mean totaled, $556 for just over two months' service).  When I called, the first thing they told me was that my total is $69 a month, but because of their error, they would graciously bring it down to $43 a month.  The next person I talked to reminded me that my service will be $49 a month.  Even with $99 installation and $99 "gateway" fee, I still don't understand how three months comes to $556.

I found a promotional flyer saying I could bundle phone & internet for $39 a month. The person at AT&T confirmed it, so I signed up. I started getting enormous bills (I mean totaled, $556 for just over two months' service).  When I called, the first thing they told me was that my total is $69 a month, but because of their error, they would graciously bring it down to $43 a month.  The next person I talked to reminded me that my service will be $49 a month.  Even with $99 installation and $99 "gateway" fee, I still don't understand how three months comes to $556.

13 of 13 (435 Views)