Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 3, 2013
11:15:31 AM
View profile
Why uVerse GUI is WAY better than Cox

First of all, the general layout of the uVerse "cable box" TV menu system (the User Interface) is far better:

1. On Cox, when using the guide, you can hit the Record button twice to record the series (i.e. once to record the show, twice to record the series).  On Cox, there is only ONE place where you can tell it to record a series.  On uVerse there are several.  This is a common task--it should be easy to do.  On uVerse it is!

2. On Cox, Edit Record Options only gives you "Save Until, Start & End" - to access things like "Episodes ['First run only'|'First run & repeats', etc.]" or "Keep[Until]" or "Airtimes", etc. you have to go to the Series Manager and scroll through the list -- in my case, that list is rather long.  It's far easier to make changes like this on the uVerse system.

3. We do a lot of "binge watching"--for instance, we recently discovered Dexter and liked it so much we went back and watched all of the previous seasons using OnDemand.  On uVerse, when one episode was done, it took us right back to the episode selection screen so we could select and watch the next episode.  On Cox, you have to go back to the beginning [i.e. hit the OnDemand button, scroll down to ShowtimeHD and navigate to the next episode--assuming you remember what season/episode # is next!

4. Info!  On uVerse, the Info is comprehensive--including the original air date!  Very useful when trying to figure out what season and episode # a recording is (would be nice if that was included, like it is in OnDemand!)  The Cox Info is rather scant -- even when you select More Info -- and on Cox, quite often there is "No Information".  Example: Over the past few months, I've been watching Malcom In The Middle on Amazon.  Yesterday, I tried to watch another episode and discovered that (because of "licensing issues") it's no longer available!  So, I searched the Cox guide for it, and found it -- BUT, because there is NO information that I can use to determine what episode (or even what season) the recording is (other than a brief synopsis), it's hard to tell if I've seen it before.  On uVerse, at least the info gives the original air date, so I can look it up on IMDB or an online episode guide.

5. Rewind on a live show: On uVerse, this is always available (used to be on Cox, too).  On uVerse, once you switch to a channel, it starts recording (in the background).  Anytime during the broadcast, you can rewind--all the way back to the point where you switched to that channel, if you want!)  Not so on Cox!

6. THIS IS THE MOST IRRITATING THING OF ALL: On uVerse, Pause is PAUSE!  On Cox, pause is "pause for a little while, then suddenly your TV is blaring out of control!!  On live TV, it just resumes the live broadcast.  On uVerse it's even worse!  Some cheeky spokes person starts blathering about "What's on OnDemand".  She (usually its a 'she') invades your media space after a short pause and also whenever you go into the OnDemand menu.  It's REALLY ANNOYING!!!  Cox does none of this!  Basically, on uVerse this is an "Opt-in" feature.  On Cox, this is "Opt-out, suckka"!

7. Just from an over-all sense of the difference [don't remember the details], the Cox menu system provides several ways to access the various things one commonly likes to do [like changing a single recording to a series recording].  Right away, when we first started using the Cox menu system, we noticed how difficult it was to do the things we wanted to do!  Plus, the uVerse layout is far more "intuitive" -- it just makes a lot more sense!

Remote Control:

1. Along with a "Replay" button, the Cox remote also has a Jump Forward ("FWD")  button -- I really miss that!

Besides the 2 extra tuners and the larger harddisk, the only thing, that I can think of, that Cox does better then uVerse, is the "Available disk space" indicator.  On Cox, it includes the space used by "Save until Space Needed".  I really like that because it gives one a better idea of how much disk space actually exists [uVerse lumps together the space used by all recordings, including recording that are being saved until "Space Needed"--misleading, if you don't care if the "save until Space Needed" recordings are deleted].

The only reason we switched from uVerse to Cox was for the 6 tuner gateway and the larger harddisk (2TB) -- much needed in our household!  As soon as uVerse catches up, we're switching back!!

Anybody know if AT&T has, or will soon, come out with a comparable system (i.e more tuners/more HD space)?

First of all, the general layout of the uVerse "cable box" TV menu system (the User Interface) is far better:

1. On Cox, when using the guide, you can hit the Record button twice to record the series (i.e. once to record the show, twice to record the series).  On Cox, there is only ONE place where you can tell it to record a series.  On uVerse there are several.  This is a common task--it should be easy to do.  On uVerse it is!

2. On Cox, Edit Record Options only gives you "Save Until, Start & End" - to access things like "Episodes ['First run only'|'First run & repeats', etc.]" or "Keep[Until]" or "Airtimes", etc. you have to go to the Series Manager and scroll through the list -- in my case, that list is rather long.  It's far easier to make changes like this on the uVerse system.

3. We do a lot of "binge watching"--for instance, we recently discovered Dexter and liked it so much we went back and watched all of the previous seasons using OnDemand.  On uVerse, when one episode was done, it took us right back to the episode selection screen so we could select and watch the next episode.  On Cox, you have to go back to the beginning [i.e. hit the OnDemand button, scroll down to ShowtimeHD and navigate to the next episode--assuming you remember what season/episode # is next!

4. Info!  On uVerse, the Info is comprehensive--including the original air date!  Very useful when trying to figure out what season and episode # a recording is (would be nice if that was included, like it is in OnDemand!)  The Cox Info is rather scant -- even when you select More Info -- and on Cox, quite often there is "No Information".  Example: Over the past few months, I've been watching Malcom In The Middle on Amazon.  Yesterday, I tried to watch another episode and discovered that (because of "licensing issues") it's no longer available!  So, I searched the Cox guide for it, and found it -- BUT, because there is NO information that I can use to determine what episode (or even what season) the recording is (other than a brief synopsis), it's hard to tell if I've seen it before.  On uVerse, at least the info gives the original air date, so I can look it up on IMDB or an online episode guide.

5. Rewind on a live show: On uVerse, this is always available (used to be on Cox, too).  On uVerse, once you switch to a channel, it starts recording (in the background).  Anytime during the broadcast, you can rewind--all the way back to the point where you switched to that channel, if you want!)  Not so on Cox!

6. THIS IS THE MOST IRRITATING THING OF ALL: On uVerse, Pause is PAUSE!  On Cox, pause is "pause for a little while, then suddenly your TV is blaring out of control!!  On live TV, it just resumes the live broadcast.  On uVerse it's even worse!  Some cheeky spokes person starts blathering about "What's on OnDemand".  She (usually its a 'she') invades your media space after a short pause and also whenever you go into the OnDemand menu.  It's REALLY ANNOYING!!!  Cox does none of this!  Basically, on uVerse this is an "Opt-in" feature.  On Cox, this is "Opt-out, suckka"!

7. Just from an over-all sense of the difference [don't remember the details], the Cox menu system provides several ways to access the various things one commonly likes to do [like changing a single recording to a series recording].  Right away, when we first started using the Cox menu system, we noticed how difficult it was to do the things we wanted to do!  Plus, the uVerse layout is far more "intuitive" -- it just makes a lot more sense!

Remote Control:

1. Along with a "Replay" button, the Cox remote also has a Jump Forward ("FWD")  button -- I really miss that!

Besides the 2 extra tuners and the larger harddisk, the only thing, that I can think of, that Cox does better then uVerse, is the "Available disk space" indicator.  On Cox, it includes the space used by "Save until Space Needed".  I really like that because it gives one a better idea of how much disk space actually exists [uVerse lumps together the space used by all recordings, including recording that are being saved until "Space Needed"--misleading, if you don't care if the "save until Space Needed" recordings are deleted].

The only reason we switched from uVerse to Cox was for the 6 tuner gateway and the larger harddisk (2TB) -- much needed in our household!  As soon as uVerse catches up, we're switching back!!

Anybody know if AT&T has, or will soon, come out with a comparable system (i.e more tuners/more HD space)?

Why uVerse GUI is WAY better than Cox

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 9:01:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:06:06 AM

TheyAlwaysAskMe wrote:

Unfortunately, U-Verse uses a baaaad Guide provider.  Often the OAD is wrong or missing.  I have missed new shows for that reason and have multiple reruns, recorded because the DVR thinks it is a new show. 

I have never used Cox but I still feel that UV GUI could be better.

Remote Control:

U-verse has both Skip back and Jimp Fwd buttons.  You say that you really miss that Cox feature, I thought that you now have Cox?

That type of gauge would be nice.  The info is there but you have to dig for it.

We have heard rumors that some DVR programming may become cloud based, which could make DVR size, pointless.

U-Verse does not use Tuners.  We use streams.  Supposedly, they are looking at 6 or 7 streams.  Dallas and Austin TX recently got moved to 0SD/4HD which means all 4 streams can be HD.

TheyAlwaysAskMe wrote:

Unfortunately, U-Verse uses a baaaad Guide provider.  Often the OAD is wrong or missing.  I have missed new shows for that reason and have multiple reruns, recorded because the DVR thinks it is a new show. 

I have never used Cox but I still feel that UV GUI could be better.

Remote Control:

U-verse has both Skip back and Jimp Fwd buttons.  You say that you really miss that Cox feature, I thought that you now have Cox?

That type of gauge would be nice.  The info is there but you have to dig for it.

We have heard rumors that some DVR programming may become cloud based, which could make DVR size, pointless.

U-Verse does not use Tuners.  We use streams.  Supposedly, they are looking at 6 or 7 streams.  Dallas and Austin TX recently got moved to 0SD/4HD which means all 4 streams can be HD.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why uVerse GUI is WAY better than Cox

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:18:32 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hey there TheyAlwaysAksMe!

Thank you for this detailed review. It's very helpful!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hey there TheyAlwaysAksMe!

Thank you for this detailed review. It's very helpful!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Why uVerse GUI is WAY better than Cox

3 of 3 (921 Views)