Why pop-ups during my show?

Contributor

Why pop-ups during my show?

Why do you need pop-ups when you have commercials for that. I pay good money for programing I want to watch without being interrupted. A count down clock in the corner for a stupid show that is going to start tomorrow?? Why is it on my show blocking and at the bottom corner is pop-ups for the same stupid show then it goes to commercial showing--you guessed it same stupid show. Don't forget, there is also the station tag on the screen, all these dag nabbit blocks and pop-ups no wonder people are going to netflicks and computer web sites to get away from the nonsense. 

Message 1 of 10 (779 Views)
Expert

Re: Why pop-ups during my show?

What pop-ups?  What on earth are you talking about?

Message 2 of 10 (762 Views)
ACE - Master

Everything you discribe is coming from the TV channel provider itself, not U-verse.  These "pop ups", as you call them, are inserted as advertisements for upcoming shows, new shows, etc.  AT&T has no control over this since they just pass the signal sent to them on to your residence, then to your TV.

You might want to contact the provider of the channel and voice your displeasure.

I don't like them either but it is what it is.    

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (742 Views)
ACE - Master

The OP is referring to the little on-screen graphics and ads (aka snipes) that appear throughout a show at the bottom of the screen as a promo for an upcoming show. 

Bravo is bad about it as is Style (aren't those owned by the same people???).  These are an advertising dream for the network but a nightmare for the viewer.

I don't think that the OP assumed it was coming from Uverse and knows that it's coming from the network involved.  He/she was just airing their displeasure.

Interesting article on cnet

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10 (737 Views)
ACE - Master

Could they be referring to ads at Uverse.com, where they are watching shows on the PC?  Countdown timers seem to fit that.

Message 5 of 10 (699 Views)
ACE - Expert

I've seen an overlay on an ad that said "click to get more information on ..."   But I doubt that's what the OP is talking about.

Message 6 of 10 (597 Views)
ACE - Professor

USA adds in countdown timers to their new episodes of their original programming, especially when it's a premiere or finale of some sort coming up. 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 7 of 10 (564 Views)
Expert

Originally I used to see the little pop up ads on the cable networks, but not to be out done, the big 3 have begun doing it advertising the tv shows that air  on their networks. Please forgive the run on sentence.

Message 8 of 10 (519 Views)
ACE - Professor

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Everything you discribe is coming from the TV channel provider itself, not U-verse.  These "pop ups", as you call them, are inserted as advertisements for upcoming shows, new shows, etc.  AT&T has no control over this since they just pass the signal sent to them on to your residence, then to your TV.

You might want to contact the provider of the channel and voice your displeasure.

I don't like them either but it is what it is.    

Blame the popularity of the DVR for this situation. Because people are FF'ing through traditional commercials, advertisers need to think of new ways to push their messages to the viewers. Pop-ups, having American Idol/XFactor judges drink from "branded" cups, and TV shows "being brought to you by____" are all some of the ways the DVR is being combated by the ad agencies.

Message 9 of 10 (483 Views)
ACE - Professor

JefferMC wrote:

I've seen an overlay on an ad that said "click to get more information on ..."   But I doubt that's what the OP is talking about.

One post in 13 days. We may never know what the OP is referring to. I'm surprised the OP didn't include a message about how DireComcasTimeWarner doesn't have ads on their channels.

Message 10 of 10 (481 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.