Why is your iPhone twice as expensive as in the apple store?

Why is your iPhone twice as expensive as in the apple store?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the prices for a mobile plan with an iPhone 5s:

Unlimited calls and text and 2 GB of data plan goes for 55$.

If I now chose an iPhone:

For a phone I pay 40$ a month and an upfront of 235$. I am locked to the contract for 24 months.

235$ upfront and 24 payments of 40$. That equals a total cost of the phone of

1195$

or almost twice of what I would have to pay if I bought the phone in an apple store. What do I miss?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10 (966 Views)
Expert

Re: Why is your iPhone twice as expensive as in the apple store?

TorbenMeyer wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the prices for a mobile plan with an iPhone 5s:

Unlimited calls and text and 2 GB of data plan goes for 55$.

If I now chose an iPhone:

For a phone I pay 40$ a month and an upfront of 235$. I am locked to the contract for 24 months.

235$ upfront and 24 payments of 40$. That equals a total cost of the phone of

1195$

or almost twice of what I would have to pay if I bought the phone in an apple store. What do I miss?

Thanks!

Not sure where you are getting your information. A 16GB Iphone 5S on the next 12 program is 32.50 for 20 months on the next 18 it is 25.00 for 26 months with no indication of anything up front. You are not locked into a contract

Might want to look again

Message 2 of 10 (934 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks, this is what I was looking at...

Message 3 of 10 (931 Views)
Expert

TorbenMeyer wrote:

that is because you choose the option for a subsidized phone and not the next program, you pay the subsidized cost of the phone in full when you open the account, it is a 1 time charge

Message 4 of 10 (925 Views)

Not completely understood yet. I'm slow, sorry.

Does this mean that after 24 payments of 40 $ my next phone(s?) will be free as long as I stay with my 2GB plan and AT&T?

Message 5 of 10 (917 Views)
Expert

TorbenMeyer wrote:

Not completely understood yet. I'm slow, sorry.

Does this mean that after 24 payments of 40 $ my next phone(s?) will be free as long as I stay with my 2GB plan and AT&T?

No -

In the example below

32.50 for 20 months is the charge for the phone

55.00 is the monthly charge for 2GB of data, unlimited voice and text

40.00 is the monthly charge for the device on the above plan

there is a 15.00 monthly credit off line 2 bringing yur monthly cost to 112.50, after 20 months the iphone will be paid in full and the charge will drop off the bill. the 112.50 is the bost before taxes, federal fees and recovery costs are add, so depending on where you live that cost could be about 15% of the bill. In addition your first bill will be higher due to pro-rating of the bill

Message 6 of 10 (875 Views)
Employee

There are two types of contracts with AT&T. The two year agreement, and the Next Plan.

The Next Plan is like a Lease to Own program. Instead of paying a subsidized price for the phone like you would with the 2 year commitment, you are paying full price for the phone but in monthly installment plans.  After the alloted time, you either have the option to trade in the current device (as long as it is still in like-new condition) for a new one (the next one) or you can complete the payments to pay for the full amount to own the device.

AT&T NEXT

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 10 (865 Views)

Hm, still struggling

Option 1:

Tariff: unlimited voice and text and 2GB of data.

I chose an iPhone 5S now. Imagine I would not want get iPhone 6 in 12 months, so I pay 650$ over 20 months and then this fee is reduced from my monthly bill. That leaves me with:

20 months of 112.50$ which equals 2250$ paid and I am left with an iPhone 5S. (Maybe 4 months left until Sim-Lock free? - enhances my chance to resell the phone later, but lets forget about that).

Option 2:

I chose a GoPhone plan with unlimited voice, text and 2GB of data. I chose a cheap Samsung Galaxy Appeal for 40$ which I will never use. I will instead buy a simlock free iPhone from the apple store for 650$ and plug in the GoPhone card which costs me 60$ a month. After 20 months I will have paid:

20*60+650+40$=1890$
and I am left with an iPhone 5S.

That's 360 $ less. Did I get something wrong again? Smiley Happy

And what happens when I chose to get an iPhone 6 in 12 months, will my Next contract be prolonged to last another 20 months from that point when I upgrade?

Thanks a lot for the support

Message 8 of 10 (847 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]
I think people are over inundating you with AT&T next info.
The $55 is the cost of the 2gb plan w/0 phones.
Each phone including the first, has a $20-$40 charge
Visit www.myattrpc.com to make more sense of the plan. It's permanent charge.
-Alex
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 10 (845 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

TorbenMeyer wrote:

Based on this screenshot and the link posted in the previous post, your monthly cost is $95, not $55.  You have to look at the bottom line in order to get the total price.

Message 10 of 10 (830 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.