Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 25, 2013
9:26:41 PM
View profile
Why is it so slllooooowwwww?
Edited by snotnose on Aug 25, 2013 at 9:32:34 PM

Been a customer 4 years this November, got an update a few months ago.  Since then this box has been super slow.  As in, push a button on the remote and wait 4-5 seconds for a response.  Try to search, takes 20-25 seconds just to load the app. (BTW, did you know that when you enter a character in search, the char used is where the cursor is when the DVR gets around to noticing the button press?  So you better not try to typeahead)   A commercial starts, I hit fast forward 3 times, only get 2.  Wait a few seconds, hit FF again, suddenly 2 FFs happen.  Fast forwarding commercials, hit play when the show starts, sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds to take effect.  Which puts me several minutes into the show, so now I have to play the same games rewinding.  Erasing a show takes some 30 seconds.

And if something says "press button to start app", fuggedaboutit.  Takes way too long for something that probably isn't what I wanted in the first place.

I know it's not the remote, soon as I hit a button the green light on the DVR flashes.

TV2 client version: 2.2.28163.10

OS/Version: Wince/5.0.1400

ROM version: 1.1027

Settop box/CPU MOTOROLA VIP1216/297

Could it be I'm a dinosaur and need to get a newer box from AT&T to run their new software?

Been a customer 4 years this November, got an update a few months ago.  Since then this box has been super slow.  As in, push a button on the remote and wait 4-5 seconds for a response.  Try to search, takes 20-25 seconds just to load the app. (BTW, did you know that when you enter a character in search, the char used is where the cursor is when the DVR gets around to noticing the button press?  So you better not try to typeahead)   A commercial starts, I hit fast forward 3 times, only get 2.  Wait a few seconds, hit FF again, suddenly 2 FFs happen.  Fast forwarding commercials, hit play when the show starts, sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds to take effect.  Which puts me several minutes into the show, so now I have to play the same games rewinding.  Erasing a show takes some 30 seconds.

And if something says "press button to start app", fuggedaboutit.  Takes way too long for something that probably isn't what I wanted in the first place.

I know it's not the remote, soon as I hit a button the green light on the DVR flashes.

Could it be I'm a dinosaur and need to get a newer box from AT&T to run their new software?

Why is it so slllooooowwwww?

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 12:48:27 AM
(0)
Employee
If you do not care about recordings, do a factory reset of DVR.
Depress power button, continue holding power depressok and down arrow hold for ten seconds, release power only.
The front panel lights will flash three times, release ok, down buttons, should see single gear,followedby two gears, rtc.
Process takes about ten minutes, when return to normal dvr screen, input channel set up aspect ratio for tv.

Proceed after about 5 minutes try to record, pause and playback a show. How is response?

If swap dvr will lose all recordings anyway so try this first.....not better call in request different dvr, likely shipped to you.
If you do not care about recordings, do a factory reset of DVR.
Depress power button, continue holding power depressok and down arrow hold for ten seconds, release power only.
The front panel lights will flash three times, release ok, down buttons, should see single gear,followedby two gears, rtc.
Process takes about ten minutes, when return to normal dvr screen, input channel set up aspect ratio for tv.

Proceed after about 5 minutes try to record, pause and playback a show. How is response?

If swap dvr will lose all recordings anyway so try this first.....not better call in request different dvr, likely shipped to you.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Why is it so slllooooowwwww?

2 of 8 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 8:36:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

So what you're saying is that I need to defrag my hard drive, and the only way to do that is reformat / reinstall.

Not a good solution, I have stuff I'd rather not lose.  Namely my list of programs I record.  

About 3 months after I got Uverse I had cable problems.  The tech came out and I asked him what that USB port in the front of the unit was for (I was using it to charge my phone).  He said if they had to swap DVRs they connected old to new via USB and copied the data over.  Is this not still true?

So what you're saying is that I need to defrag my hard drive, and the only way to do that is reformat / reinstall.

Not a good solution, I have stuff I'd rather not lose.  Namely my list of programs I record.  

About 3 months after I got Uverse I had cable problems.  The tech came out and I asked him what that USB port in the front of the unit was for (I was using it to charge my phone).  He said if they had to swap DVRs they connected old to new via USB and copied the data over.  Is this not still true?

3 of 8 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 9:06:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
snotnose - Well, it never was true. New DVRs & hard reboot will erase recordings. But, neither will erase your scheduled recordings. After replacement or hard reboot the DVR will automatically continye to record anything that was listed previously.
snotnose - Well, it never was true. New DVRs & hard reboot will erase recordings. But, neither will erase your scheduled recordings. After replacement or hard reboot the DVR will automatically continye to record anything that was listed previously.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (477 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 2:47:16 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by snotnose on Aug 26, 2013 at 2:48:27 PM

So what's the USB port for?  

Be nice if I could plug a thumb drive into it and play movies or music.  Much more convienant than streaming it to my PS3.

Being Sunday/Monday are my 2 busy recording nights it will prolly be Wed before I can watch all my shows.

Be nice if I could plug a thumb drive into it and play movies or music.  Much more convienant than streaming it to my PS3.

Being Sunday/Monday are my 2 busy recording nights it will prolly be Wed before I can watch all my shows.

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 10:11:51 PM
(0)
Employee
Usb port on dvr and STBs are for the RF remote you can order off the website

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku4760278
Usb port on dvr and STBs are for the RF remote you can order off the website

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku4760278
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 8 (378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 2:29:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

snotnose wrote:

Yes that would be nice!  My Blu-ray player has such a slot.  I  plug in a thumb drive and play movies, movies, movies!  AT&T will most likely never allow that - as that would give you, the customer, too much control.  Seriously.

You can stream music to your U-Verse boxes via Mediashare.  Windows Media is a bit harder to set up but I use a PC software called TVersity and bam!  there are my music folders.  I play music that way when I clean the house.  I USED to have success streaming internet radio but that stopped working.  Put TVersity in XBox 360 mode.

snotnose wrote:

Yes that would be nice!  My Blu-ray player has such a slot.  I  plug in a thumb drive and play movies, movies, movies!  AT&T will most likely never allow that - as that would give you, the customer, too much control.  Seriously.

You can stream music to your U-Verse boxes via Mediashare.  Windows Media is a bit harder to set up but I use a PC software called TVersity and bam!  there are my music folders.  I play music that way when I clean the house.  I USED to have success streaming internet radio but that stopped working.  Put TVersity in XBox 360 mode.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 10:08:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

snotnose wrote:

Contact ATT Uverse Care here:
https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/2365485

Send them a private message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your Uverse service problems. Response can take up to 2 business days.

This is not the regular CS/TS people, but the social media people that know the people to contact to get things done. I personally know as they've helped me on a DVR swap from a sluggy 1216 to a very fast 2250 at no cost.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right, in case they replied this way. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

snotnose wrote:

Contact ATT Uverse Care here:
https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/2365485

Send them a private message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your Uverse service problems. Response can take up to 2 business days.

This is not the regular CS/TS people, but the social media people that know the people to contact to get things done. I personally know as they've helped me on a DVR swap from a sluggy 1216 to a very fast 2250 at no cost.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right, in case they replied this way. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

8 of 8 (267 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments