Why is TLC and Food Network not listed in OnDemand?

Contributor

Why is TLC and Food Network not listed in OnDemand?

I get so frustrated that I cannot watch my favorites showes because the are not in OnDemand with UVerse. TLC and Food Network. Really? They are available with Time Warner, but not ATT? 

Message 1 of 12 (2,494 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Why is TLC and Food Network not listed in OnDemand?

It all comes down to Contracts.

Scripps (Food network , HGTV, DIY) and Discovery Networks (TLC, Discovery, Science, etc.) have not come to an agreement for AT&T to distribute thier VOD content through their cable system.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (2,448 Views)
Expert

thepickering10 wrote:

I get so frustrated that I cannot watch my favorites showes because the are not in OnDemand with UVerse. TLC and Food Network. Really? They are available with Time Warner, but not ATT? 

Unlike Time Warner, a DVR comes standard at no additional costs with U-Family and the U-200 and above packages.  This allows U-verse customers to set up series recordings for their favorite programs.  This lessens the need to rely on programming in the On Demand library.

Message 3 of 12 (2,434 Views)
Scholar

texasguy37 wrote:

thepickering10 wrote:

Unlike Time Warner, a DVR comes standard at no additional costs with U-Family and the U-200 and above packages.  This allows U-verse customers to set up series recordings for their favorite programs.  This lessens the need to rely on programming in the On Demand library.

For those living in a medium to large household (4-6+ family members) ondemand becomes a valuable tool and asset as many family members start fighting over streams and who can record what on any given night.

Ondemand on the cloud is coming fast making the dvr practically extinct.

ATT/Uverse bargaining with other tv programmers to expand their Ondemand line up and programming only helps to promote their brand and keep their customers happy.

Message 4 of 12 (2,409 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

peteyboy wrote:

For those living in a medium to large household (4-6+ family members) ondemand becomes a valuable tool and asset as many family members start fighting over streams and who can record what on any given night.

Watching an On Demand program uses a stream just as recording or watching a live program uses a stream.

Also, I doubt that the DVR will ever become extinct.  There is too much programming being watched and recorded that would never be watched on an On Demand basis.

Message 5 of 12 (2,402 Views)
Scholar

texasguy37 wrote

Watching an On Demand program uses a stream just as recording or watching a live program uses a stream.

Also, I doubt that the DVR will ever become extinct.  There is too much programming being watched and recorded that would never be watched on an On Demand basis.

Yes,but knowing that your program that you want to watch is ondemand gives you the security and benefit to watch it at your leisure and discretion .

It also promotes harmony in the family and keeps each other from fighting for recording priorities.I know thats how it is in my household.

Message 6 of 12 (2,396 Views)
Scholar

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime they offer more episodes i don't use ondemand that much Netflix and Amazon have a huge library they have all the food network and TLC shows i just watch ondemand to see movies on Starz and Showtime Roku's are good thing to have if you want an alternative to ondemand .
Message 7 of 12 (2,388 Views)
Scholar

Ryan456 wrote:
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime they offer more episodes i don't use ondemand that much Netflix and Amazon have a huge library they have all the food network and TLC shows i just watch ondemand to see movies on Starz and Showtime Roku's are good thing to have if you want an alternative to ondemand .

I have netflix,vudu,amazon and cinema now, but they charge you for "Primetime Ondemand next day air" $1.99 per show and netflix is not next day air but prior seasons...

Thats where Uverse comes in to save the day if they have the programming available Ondemand.

Message 8 of 12 (2,381 Views)

Check hulu and hulu+

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 12 (2,376 Views)
Scholar

oufanindallas wrote:

Check hulu and hulu+

$8.00 per subscription and tv programmers still handicap them with delayed programming like they do Uverse.I tried the free promotion on my Ps3 2years ago.

Best solution is for Uverse to increase their streams to 6-8 or Beef up their Ondemand programming line up.(One can wish).

Message 10 of 12 (2,368 Views)
ACE - Expert

texasguy37 wrote:

peteyboy wrote:

Network DVR: the killer app for cloud TV

Network-based digital video recorders have been termed the ‘killer’ cloud TV application and are no longer in development. The technology is up to speed, the storage capacity is there, security is not a big concern and access and user authorisation can be guaranteed.

It is rights issues, with regard to access across multiple devices and over time frames, which are holding things up. Content providers are still considering whether to offer comprehensive rights licences for multi-screen, or whether to license their content separately for each device the service provider wants to offer it on. Content owners must address operational issues too, such as content window length, cloud-based- storage  allocation per user, and ad insertion schedules. A lot of this is for the lawyers to battle out. A few high profile and expensive court cases are likely before precedents are set.

“The main hurdles centre around the notion of rights and storage costs. The debate in the industry revolves specifically around ‘shared’ vs. ‘private’ copy,” says Boris Felts, VP of product marketing at Envivio.

’Private’ copy means that every user has a unique copy of the content available in the cloud, but requires a considerable amount of storage. To make this available on other devices means you also need the right infrastructure to transcode it. The cost might prove to be prohibitive in some cases.

“’Shared copy’ means that the same recording is only stored once, instead of making multiple copies of the same content for each user. From a cost/technology perspective, this is more manageable, but the legal and commercial framework of this type of application is not always defined and specific agreements with the content providers might be required,” says Felts.

Chris Johnston, vice president of digital media solutions at Brightcove, believes that while content rights and security issues pose challenges, they could become key advantages for both consumers and distributors.

“Consumers will benefit from being able to access content anywhere, anytime, without having to download it – providing they have a broadband connection. Distributors will be able to create a single, secure content store for their customers to access, lowering costs for management and tracking. In some ways, it may even be simpler than what is happening with music today, because consumers historically viewed music as something they ‘owned’, while this was typically not the case for TV content,” says Johnston.

The ability to record content and make that recording available from the cloud to any device is clearly compelling to consumers. As streaming goes from a trickle to a deluge, though, networked DVRs could quickly become sidelined adds Akamai’s director of product marketing for media, Kurt Michel.

“I use my DVR for linear broadcasts. I tell my DVR that there is something that I want to watch and I ask it to grab it. But now with OTT, so much content is available to me when I want to watch it, I don’t need to record it. DVRs won’t become completely redundant as not everything is streamed, but a lot is. I’ve already noticed that my children rarely record anything and they are the generation to watch.”

Children may set the trends, but they don’t pay the bills. Ultimately it will be the bill payers, whether they be on the consumer side or the content or distributor side who will work out a way to make the cloud pay and turn what was a youth-led initiative mainstream.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/spot/network-dvr-the-killer-app-for-cloud-tv/#.UZBqFp1j0xg.email Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 12 (2,326 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

The article that Chris posted is what I am waiting for!  I could watch shows from the cloud DVR and use my local storage to keep important programs, archived.  I know, I know that this is not how the current DVR's work - you record, you watch, you delete but I see a paradigm shift!

Message 12 of 12 (2,233 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.