Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 6, 2014
7:13:33 PM
View profile
Why do residential gateways fail so quickly

First, let me say I love Uverse and would hate to think about going back to Charter. However we have not had the best luck with the equipment. We are getting ready to install our third gateway and we are now on our third DVR. 

I get that the DVR hard drives crap out due to the constant use, but I don't understand why the gateways fail.

Any thoughts?

Erik

First, let me say I love Uverse and would hate to think about going back to Charter. However we have not had the best luck with the equipment. We are getting ready to install our third gateway and we are now on our third DVR. 

I get that the DVR hard drives crap out due to the constant use, but I don't understand why the gateways fail.

Any thoughts?

Erik

Why do residential gateways fail so quickly

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 7:26:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The two most common issues for truely fried U-verse equipment are:

Heat.

Electrical problems.

However, some network wiring conditions have been known to cause AT&T to declare the equipment dead and replace it, only to have the replacement "fail" because the problem was never the equipment in the first place.

IR interference can even make a DVR look broken.

The two most common issues for truely fried U-verse equipment are:

Heat.

Electrical problems.

However, some network wiring conditions have been known to cause AT&T to declare the equipment dead and replace it, only to have the replacement "fail" because the problem was never the equipment in the first place.

IR interference can even make a DVR look broken.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why do residential gateways fail so quickly

2 of 7 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 8:24:27 PM
(0)
Employee
Which gateway, and what was issue....

The most common seems to be weak wifi signal, or no wifi signal.
If your wireless device has average signal 5 feet away andno signal at 10 feet,wifi circuit gone,providing someone did not turn turn down the power setting.

If have strong signal on device, but poor speeds this is wireless interference, not a bad RG.
Some seem to think replacing RG will solve issue, if does normally cause going to different channel on 2.4 ghz frequency thatcan be changed by webpage.

DVRs do go bad, but many times corrupt program...a factory reset, wiping out hard drive and updating software gennerally solves providing hard drive is good. Seen way too many new DVR swapped cause the HD not formatted when installed either by tech or customer on self install repair.
Which gateway, and what was issue....

The most common seems to be weak wifi signal, or no wifi signal.
If your wireless device has average signal 5 feet away andno signal at 10 feet,wifi circuit gone,providing someone did not turn turn down the power setting.

If have strong signal on device, but poor speeds this is wireless interference, not a bad RG.
Some seem to think replacing RG will solve issue, if does normally cause going to different channel on 2.4 ghz frequency thatcan be changed by webpage.

DVRs do go bad, but many times corrupt program...a factory reset, wiping out hard drive and updating software gennerally solves providing hard drive is good. Seen way too many new DVR swapped cause the HD not formatted when installed either by tech or customer on self install repair.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 6:35:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have had my RG and DVR for going on 5 years and it has not failed.  I do not know if it was that I was one of the first in my area to get uverse because I got a new rg and dvr and I take care of all my electronics by using surge protectors.   I hope to get many good years out of it.

I have had my RG and DVR for going on 5 years and it has not failed.  I do not know if it was that I was one of the first in my area to get uverse because I got a new rg and dvr and I take care of all my electronics by using surge protectors.   I hope to get many good years out of it.

4 of 7 (327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 7:04:28 AM
(0)
Master

I still have my original RG 3800 that was issued to me in 2008 but I have had 3 STB's never used the wireless function always had Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station and now use the Time Capsule for that function.

I still have my original RG 3800 that was issued to me in 2008 but I have had 3 STB's never used the wireless function always had Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station and now use the Time Capsule for that function.

5 of 7 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 8:01:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
ebw6674 - The previous posts have great perspectives on the issue.

Another one - The RG is not the problem. Something else is. It is easier to replace the RG than to find that something else. This may be a valid technique if it is usually the RG and it began an escalation and tracking process to go after the more difficult problems with a more experienced team of techs. As well as validate the method.
ebw6674 - The previous posts have great perspectives on the issue.

Another one - The RG is not the problem. Something else is. It is easier to replace the RG than to find that something else. This may be a valid technique if it is usually the RG and it began an escalation and tracking process to go after the more difficult problems with a more experienced team of techs. As well as validate the method.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (313 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 1:25:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for all the great responses.

To add to my original post, the gateway and the DVR are sitting on shelves by themselves with nothing on or under them. For that matter there is nothing around them period. We don't use the WIFI, I have an Airport Extreme network for that set up in a roaming configuration. The only cabling connected to the gateway is the cables that go to the primary Airport basestation (actually a Time Capsule) and to the DVR, the other STBs and the phones.

The gateway failures have all been the same as far as I know; corrupted firmware that results in extremely low bandwidth. We have been struggling with less than 2Mbps down for a couple weeks while I troubleshot to find that once again its the gateway.

If its something outside of the gateway I'd love to find it and fix it. I just don't know what it could be. Particularly since I just upgraded to new Airports and everything is on redundant UPSs (mine powers AT&Ts).

Suggestions?

Thanks again,

Erik

Thanks for all the great responses.

To add to my original post, the gateway and the DVR are sitting on shelves by themselves with nothing on or under them. For that matter there is nothing around them period. We don't use the WIFI, I have an Airport Extreme network for that set up in a roaming configuration. The only cabling connected to the gateway is the cables that go to the primary Airport basestation (actually a Time Capsule) and to the DVR, the other STBs and the phones.

The gateway failures have all been the same as far as I know; corrupted firmware that results in extremely low bandwidth. We have been struggling with less than 2Mbps down for a couple weeks while I troubleshot to find that once again its the gateway.

If its something outside of the gateway I'd love to find it and fix it. I just don't know what it could be. Particularly since I just upgraded to new Airports and everything is on redundant UPSs (mine powers AT&Ts).

Suggestions?

Thanks again,

Erik

7 of 7 (291 Views)