Why do people still need landlines???

Guru

Why do people still need landlines???

Okay I know that some people do not have cell phones and I get that. But everyone else who does have a cell, why need a landline?

I have ATT wireless, night and weekend starts at 7pm, I have roll over and unlimtied ATT-ATT calling and unlimted LD.

And for those worried about times, Metro PCS(if in your area) for $40 a month and unlimited calling period(sure the coverage area is limited, but given that 80% of people travel less than 50 miles from their home on average) that is worth it.
Message 1 of 78 (1,501 Views)
Scholar

Re: Why do people still need landlines???

911 response time. If you call 911 from your cell the response time is 4-5 minutes longer than if you called from your home phone. That's why we keep our home phone. That 4-5 minutes would have cost my husband his life.
Message 61 of 78 (504 Views)
Mentor

ksebring wrote:
911 response time. If you call 911 from your cell the response time is 4-5 minutes longer than if you called from your home phone. That's why we keep our home phone. That 4-5 minutes would have cost my husband his life.

We no longer have a house phone and we have 0 difference response time from an 911.

Our house was being robbed with our 12 year old at home.  She called 911, was immediatly routed to the correct city.

She told dispatch her address, the police were here in 4 minutes.  Caught BOTH burglers in the act, they are currently chilling in jail.

I asked the police the differences of response time from cell phone to hard land line.  There are no differnce.

People used to keep a landline for home security systems.  This is now no longer necessary reason to keep a land line.  The security company installed a cell transmitter that would directly call the security company.

Get rid of the land lines!!!! lol don't let AT&T own everything!

Message 62 of 78 (504 Views)
Expert

Splitz wrote:

ksebring wrote:

We no longer have a house phone and we have 0 difference response time from an 911.

Our house was being robbed with our 12 year old at home.  She called 911, was immediatly routed to the correct city.

She told dispatch her address, the police were here in 4 minutes.  Caught BOTH burglers in the act, they are currently chilling in jail.

I asked the police the differences of response time from cell phone to hard land line.  There are no differnce.

People used to keep a landline for home security systems.  This is now no longer necessary reason to keep a land line.  The security company installed a cell transmitter that would directly call the security company.

Good for her and good job teaching her about keeping her head and making that phone call.

Message 63 of 78 (504 Views)
Professor

I'm not totally against change or technology, and if my heart monitor would work with VOIP I might try it, but last I was told by Medtronic (heart monitor people), I would have to have a working LAN to make it work.
Message 64 of 78 (504 Views)
Guru

Splitz wrote:

ksebring wrote:

IF facts have changed let me know, but doesn't 911 from a landline have your location id just from calling them? I know a cell phone does not show your location. 

Message 65 of 78 (504 Views)
Highlighted
Master

caliuser wrote:

Splitz wrote:

ksebring wrote:

IF facts have changed let me know, but doesn't 911 from a landline have your location id just from calling them? I know a cell phone does not show your location. 

she told dispatch the address. now a days lucky it wasn't her email address...:smileyhappy:  j/k

Dennis
Message 66 of 78 (504 Views)
Mentor

MarkShadid wrote:
I'm not totally against change or technology, and if my heart monitor would work with VOIP I might try it, but last I was told by Medtronic (heart monitor people), I would have to have a working LAN to make it work.

FYI, I have a Medtronic pacemaker/defibrillator monitor that needs to connect with them and forward results to them every 3 months.  I was also (wrongly) told by the Medtronic folks that VOIP wouldn't work with the unit.  AT&T's U-verse VOIP is somehow different and it works fine.  No problems with the two connections since last September. The monitor uses the old Modem protocol to connect to the number it phones.  The monitor just plugs into the phone line.  I turn it on, let it interrogate the pacemaker/defibrillator unit, and it sends the information without any problem.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." ~Oscar Wilde
Message 67 of 78 (504 Views)
Master

caliuser wrote:

the #  is registered with the address     ...  u move u have to re register it   (e911)

may vary from vendor  to vendor  but same basic principal  imho

Message 68 of 78 (504 Views)
Professor

Sick_Puppy wrote:

MarkShadid wrote:

FYI, I have a Medtronic pacemaker/defibrillator monitor that needs to connect with them and forward results to them every 3 months.  I was also (wrongly) told by the Medtronic folks that VOIP wouldn't work with the unit.  AT&T's U-verse VOIP is somehow different and it works fine.  No problems with the two connections since last September. The monitor uses the old Modem protocol to connect to the number it phones.  The monitor just plugs into the phone line.  I turn it on, let it interrogate the pacemaker/defibrillator unit, and it sends the information without any problem.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." ~Oscar Wilde

Well then that's good to know.  I may just look into it.  Thanks for letting me know that.

Message 69 of 78 (506 Views)
Scholar

I thought these days they were using wireless enhanced 911 which allows them to not only route the call correctly but also find the location based on the cell phones GPS chip and triangulation. While not exact it is probably +/- 30' of your exact location.
Message 70 of 78 (506 Views)
Master

fl_cyclist wrote:
I thought these days they were using wireless enhanced 911 which allows them to not only route the call correctly but also find the location based on the cell phones GPS chip and triangulation. While not exact it is probably +/- 30' of your exact location.

fwiw  voip  NO  a registered location   not   gps

Message Edited by randyl on 01-14-2009 01:11 PM
Message 71 of 78 (640 Views)
Scholar

My reply was for those using cell phones to replace their landlines not VOIP and the comments on 911.
Message 72 of 78 (640 Views)

Looks like AT&T _finally_ decided to roll out Uverse Voice ( a day late / dollar short IMO).

They took too long for me (Uverse has been available here since spring of 2007).. and I've been on TWC VoIP for the past 6 months.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26509

What I don't know, is why they took so long.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 02-04-2009 09:44 PM
Message 73 of 78 (640 Views)
Scholar

1) 911 Reliability - Emergencies don't give fore-warning, and if youo have in-home medical needs, this can be a huge reason.

2) Home Alarm Systems - Alot of home alarm systems are based on analog technolgies and are not compatible with digital phone, or require expensive upgrades.

3) Satellite TV Receivers - Home satellite companies, example Dish Network, required a analog dial tone for remote ordering, or they charge you more per month, per receiver.

4) Fax Machines - Some fax machines are not digital phone compatible, due to their analox modem port.

5) Reliability - Not all VoIP providers provide you power backup, and unreliable HSI connections can leave you out of phone service.

6) Quality - Not all VoIP providers quality are created equally, there is some garbage out their. Price isn't the measure of the service.

7) Ignorance - Some people are afraid of change and progress, because of the fear of the unknown.

That being said....  U-voice being installed at my residence on 02/20/09, just became available in Missouri.

:smileysurprised:)

Message 74 of 78 (640 Views)

KCRoyals wrote:

5) Reliability - Not all VoIP providers provide you power backup, and unreliable HSI connections can leave you out of phone service.

6) Quality - Not all VoIP providers quality are created equally, there is some garbage out their. Price isn't the measure of the service.

7) Ignorance - Some people are afraid of change and progress, because of the fear of the unknown.

That being said....  U-voice being installed at my residence on 02/20/09, just became available in Missouri.

:smileysurprised:)

5 - Many also have cordless phones that don't work in their house, also, many have cell phones as well. 

6  -Very true - Skype has worked very well and is very reliable for ME.  Everything from a 3Mbps/512kbps DSL to 10/1Mbps cable and cellphone (WiFi) has functioned w/o issues - even across SSH tunnel to a squid proxy half way across the country.  Magic Jack hasn't been very reliable - and I wouldn't recommend it.

7 - Same reason people still like AOL dialup.

Message 75 of 78 (640 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support