Why do my phones have a hum unless I unplug the battery backup?

Contributor

Why do my phones have a hum unless I unplug the battery backup?

Why do my phones have a hum unless I unplug the battery backup?  When AT&T originally set up our Uverse Voice & Internet, only the phone connected to the modem was operation, as all other phone jacks were not working.  At this point, the phone was clear.  AT&T came back out and made changes to both the outside box and the wall jacks so that now all phone jacks are operational, however, all phones (regardless of where they are set up) hum constantly throughout the call.  If we unplug the battery backup, the hum ceases immediately.

Message 1 of 6 (878 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Why do my phones have a hum unless I unplug the battery backup?

[ Edited ]

Does the cable that is plugged into the back of the router, that is in the jack marked line 1, run near or across the BBU?  Maybe try re-routing that cord or pick it up and move it around while on a call to see if you can get the hum to disappear.  If so maybe try a longer cord so you can move it away from the BBU.

I suspect you are getting some sort of induction from the BBU via the cord running from the residential gateway to the wall outlet which is feeding the rest of the jacks in the house. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (860 Views)
ACE - Expert

I believe there was an earlier post where replacing the BBU removed the hum. Not necessarily your problem, but worth a try.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (833 Views)
Highlighted

You should also check to make sure that all of the connections on the gateway are secure.  It might be worth a try to replace the phone cord going from the gateway to wall jack.

Message 4 of 6 (679 Views)

from what you described, It sounds like your indide wiring has a gound on it

Message 5 of 6 (445 Views)
Master

Does the battery backup have a three prong power plug?

Message 6 of 6 (412 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.