Why do caller's hear a high pitched beep when they call me?

Why do caller's hear a high pitched beep when they call me?

I have a Connect America medical alert system hooked up to my VOIP service which is backwired into the phone jacks.  The problem that I am having is that when somebody calls me, the phone will ring once and then there will be a high-pitched fax machine type beep.  It will be a constant beep and the beep will sound on the caller's phone as well as on my phone if I can answer it in time.  This happens when somebody calls me a few seconds after I hang up the phone from another call.  Is there some kind of adapter that I need to get that goes between the medical alert console and the wall jack?  I would appreciate some advice on how to fix this issue. 

Message 1 of 9 (2,102 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Why do caller's hear a high pitched beep when they call me?

mamabearlongs - Can you post your make/model of the monitor so we can look at a manual. Perhaps you can check you operating instructions.

I sounds like it is set to auto answer & download data to the caller, after synching. Perhaps it does not need to auto answer or maybe it should wait for more rings. YOu need to ask tour provider how it is supposed to operate & check the options.

How was it working previously??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (2,093 Views)

Ok, thank you for the answer.  I am not sure what the manufacturer would be, but I can give you the link for the instruction manual that I could find. It is http://connectamerica.com/media/Set-Up-Guide.pdf    I will contact the monitoring company and ask them about the auto answer. 

One more thing, would installing a DSL filter help even though I do not have dsl service?

Message 3 of 9 (2,073 Views)
ACE - Expert

mamabearlongs - Thanks for providing the link. It clarified my thinking. I, mistakenly, was thinking of a monitor that transmits data that it has gathered on your condition. I now see that it is an alert that sounds the alarm if you have an emergency. Your initial description was good. I jumped to the conclusion that the machine was generating the tone. I now believe the problem is your house wiring.

You do have U-verse voice, so, your dial tone source is the RG. You follow the pink picture to connect from the RG to the alert & through to a phone. Well, you say you are connected to the wall to back feed the rest of the house.

Please disconnect from the wall & connect to one phone (just like the pink picture) & have someone call. It should work fine.

The problem is your house wiring was used to distribute the POTS dial tone from the NID to phones throughout your house. Now the NID provides U-verse line signal (the tone). The rest of the house wiring must not connect to the U-verse tone. The connection could be near the NID or anywhere in the house.

The DSL filter is kind of the same thing.

If you have POTS and DSL both signals ride the same wires & each outlet has a filter to separate the voice & the tone.

If you have POTS and U-verse, The filter is in the NID & POTS rides one set of wires in the house & U-verse another set.

With U-verse voice, only the U-verse line signal (tone) rides a single wire (not multiipled to other jacks) to the RG. The dial tone source is the jack. Wires connected to that jack must not connect to the U-verse base signal. The problem is that restriction did not previously exist. In fact, just the opposite, everything was connected together to serve all the phones. DSL worked in that environment (with filter) but, u-verse does not.

Hope you can picture all that. I believe if you do not do the backfeed, you will be fine until you or someone else can sort out the house wiring. BTW, the unwanted connection should be degrading your u-verse service.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9 (2,060 Views)

Actually, I have Comcast digital voice and I posted here because it is a VOIP service and thought someone could help me since I was not getting any answers on the Comcast forum.  My Comcast phone service travels on a coaxial line to the modem and then it is backfed to the phone wiring in the house.  I do have the phone wire disconnected at the test jack in the NID on the side of the house.  Sorry for not clarifying this earlier.

Message 5 of 9 (2,053 Views)
ACE - Expert

mamabearlongs - That really does not change anything because we do not know the condition of the wires in the walls. It is important that you try the connection to the single telephone. If the problem persists it is a Comcast problem or possibly your alert unit is defective. Those are the only things involved (unless the phone has a built in FAX).

If the problem goes away with the simple connection, then it must be that fax machine you left plugged-in in the back bedroom.

Double check to be sure you did not reverse the connections on the alert.
Message 6 of 9 (2,047 Views)

Ok, thank you.  However, I had this same problem when I had POTS service with AT&T before I switched to VOIP.

Message 7 of 9 (2,043 Views)
ACE - Expert

OK - you convinced me the alert box is defective.
Message 8 of 9 (2,037 Views)
Highlighted

Sorry, for the late reply, but I do not think it is the machine because I have already replaced it once and the beep has happened on both units.

Message 9 of 9 (1,956 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.