Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 29, 2013
6:18:58 PM
View profile
Why do I need an appointment to upgrade to a different internet package?

Im trying to upgrade to a higher speed internet package, but have discovered I have to pay an installation fee and wait for an installation appointment (over 1 week from now) in order to do so.   I already have U-Verse internet - I just want faster.  This seems a bit silly to me.   Shouldn't they just be able to update a configuration setting?  They really need to charge me a pricy fee and make me wait for this?

Im trying to upgrade to a higher speed internet package, but have discovered I have to pay an installation fee and wait for an installation appointment (over 1 week from now) in order to do so.   I already have U-Verse internet - I just want faster.  This seems a bit silly to me.   Shouldn't they just be able to update a configuration setting?  They really need to charge me a pricy fee and make me wait for this?

Why do I need an appointment to upgrade to a different internet package?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 11:30:02 PM
(0)
Employee
I believe your talking of upgrading to the new power package.
This is a bonded install if you qualify and may take 1.5 to 5 hours if issue with 2nd pair.
This is not an office change like movibg from 6 to 12 or 18or 24 speed internet.
In order to provide this level two lines instead of standard one are used to.
New connections have to be made at the VRAD, at the serving terminal, a the current NID has to be updated or replaced,
The homerun from NID has to be cat5 if not needs replacing, new jack at wallplate/ biscuit or new ends on data cable.
The RG hasto be physically replaced with new wifi settings for wireless devices.
This is a new install, is scheduled as such, and charged as a service call ($99) instead of normal $149 installation fee.
A two hour appointment window plus time to do all work and hope your lines are good or will need outside tech adding to time of work but not charged any more.
I believe your talking of upgrading to the new power package.
This is a bonded install if you qualify and may take 1.5 to 5 hours if issue with 2nd pair.
This is not an office change like movibg from 6 to 12 or 18or 24 speed internet.
In order to provide this level two lines instead of standard one are used to.
New connections have to be made at the VRAD, at the serving terminal, a the current NID has to be updated or replaced,
The homerun from NID has to be cat5 if not needs replacing, new jack at wallplate/ biscuit or new ends on data cable.
The RG hasto be physically replaced with new wifi settings for wireless devices.
This is a new install, is scheduled as such, and charged as a service call ($99) instead of normal $149 installation fee.
A two hour appointment window plus time to do all work and hope your lines are good or will need outside tech adding to time of work but not charged any more.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Why do I need an appointment to upgrade to a different internet package?

2 of 4 (819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 5:07:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks - that clears it up.  I wasn't aware it was bonded (if it mentioned it anywhere on the site I must have missed it).  I've got CAT5 everywhere in the house, and am close to the VRAD with clean lines so I suspect this will be relatively easy. 

Without knowing the context of it being bonded and requiring the work it does,  it seemed a bit silly to pay $99 and have an install appointment for what should have been a change at the office. 

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks - that clears it up.  I wasn't aware it was bonded (if it mentioned it anywhere on the site I must have missed it).  I've got CAT5 everywhere in the house, and am close to the VRAD with clean lines so I suspect this will be relatively easy. 

Without knowing the context of it being bonded and requiring the work it does,  it seemed a bit silly to pay $99 and have an install appointment for what should have been a change at the office. 

Thanks for the reply!

3 of 4 (810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 8:52:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm scheduled to receive this very service on 9/5...please tell me this is something that in-house techs, not contractors, are coming to perform!  Having been on both sides of the fence as a HSD installation tech(early 2000) and a customer, I've seen all too often where contractors don't do as good a job as the in-house techs

Have there been any issues with this new service so far?  Sales office says this is a "trial offering" as if it's still being tested to work properly

If, for whatever reason, I decide to downgrade back to 24mb, are the newer RG and upgraded NID wiring/infrastructure at my home backward-compatible or does a tech have to come back out again to change things out.

I have another question about optimal placement of this equipment along with another router and set of WAPs I have, but I'll post that on a separate post of my own

I'm scheduled to receive this very service on 9/5...please tell me this is something that in-house techs, not contractors, are coming to perform!  Having been on both sides of the fence as a HSD installation tech(early 2000) and a customer, I've seen all too often where contractors don't do as good a job as the in-house techs

Have there been any issues with this new service so far?  Sales office says this is a "trial offering" as if it's still being tested to work properly

If, for whatever reason, I decide to downgrade back to 24mb, are the newer RG and upgraded NID wiring/infrastructure at my home backward-compatible or does a tech have to come back out again to change things out.

I have another question about optimal placement of this equipment along with another router and set of WAPs I have, but I'll post that on a separate post of my own

4 of 4 (745 Views)