Why do I have to pay two U-Verse bills in one month several times a year?

Tutor

Why do I have to pay two U-Verse bills in one month several times a year?

Several times a year, my U-Verse bill is presented so that I must pay two months' bills within the same month or pay a late fee. For example, I paid a bill on 12/3/2013, and the next one is due 1/1/2014. However, January 1 is a bank holiday, so because I pay my bill online,  I must allow the bank to debit the payment on or before 12/31/2013 to meet the payment deadline. I cannot afford to do that at this time of the year. AT&T will get my payment on 1/2/2014, when my pension check arrives, and next month I will have to pay $5 more as a penalty. I have complained to customer service about this with no acceptable solution. I'm retired, on a fixed income, so two expensive U-Verse bills in one month is a hardship. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. What can be done about this?

Message 1 of 10 (1,006 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Why do I have to pay two U-Verse bills in one month several times a year?

cluella - Here is a suggestion if you have a credit card - Pay the bill on the att site using the credit card, This will give you a grace period between the att due date & when the cash is available. Maybe, it just changes the two payment month to a later month.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (1,001 Views)
Scholar

I had the same issue last year.

The solution was to call customer service and have the billing dates moved out by about 10 days from the current. The only downside was a prorated bill to the date of the call and then a full bill from then on.

It only took 5 minutes for customer service to make the change.

Message 3 of 10 (828 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, cluella!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry that the timing of your latest bill coincided with a bank holiday. A good option that may help would be setting up a payment arrangement ahead of time. This would give you time to get through that bank holiday and not have to pay two bills in one month. 

For more information about setting up payment arrangements, please click on the link below.

Payment Arrangements

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10 (817 Views)
Tutor

Don H., it would be wonderful if AT&T would do that. I called and asked them to the first time this happened. They refused. I don't want them to do it for just one bill. I want them to change my due date to something reasonable, like something between the 5th to the 10th of the month, every month, so I can be sure my check is in the bank. They wouldn't do that for me. How did you talk them into it?

Message 5 of 10 (800 Views)
ACE - Professor

cluella wrote:

Don H., it would be wonderful if AT&T would do that. I called and asked them to the first time this happened. They refused. I don't want them to do it for just one bill. I want them to change my due date to something reasonable, like something between the 5th to the 10th of the month, every month, so I can be sure my check is in the bank. They wouldn't do that for me. How did you talk them into it?

It shouldn't be a problem for any billing rep to change your billing date. I'd recommend contacting AT&T Customer Care at the link below since you've had issue doing so.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10 (774 Views)
Scholar

cluella wrote:

All I did was tell them my social security check arrives on the fourth Wednesday of the month and I needed to push the due date out about 10 days. Cust service said no problem, made the change and haven't had an issue since. 

Message 7 of 10 (698 Views)
Tutor

Don H.: Thanks a million for sharing your experience and the link to the place where there were people who could help me. My problem is solved. I did ask why Customer Service wasn't able to help me before, and the tech who changed my billing cycle said because previously I was talking to people who didn't have access to my account. Everyone at the link you gave me is a manager and has the authority to make those changes. Thanks again for the help!

Message 8 of 10 (672 Views)
Tutor

OK, so a very helpful AT&T agent changed my billing date. The change resulted in my getting a smaller bill for the dates between the old due date and the new one. No problem. I scheduled that bill for payment through my bank on the due date requested. One week later, I received another bill, with a due date one week later than the first, WHICH SAID THAT THE PREVIOUS SMALL PAYMENT WAS PAST DUE!

I printed paper copies of both bills with the due dates on them. I know that the first payment wasn't past due, but I paid it upon receipt of the second bill, just to get AT&T off my back. I foolishly tried to protest, first to an agent at the so-called Customer Service number (he spoke such broken English that I asked to be transferred to someone else, whereupon he hung up) and a chat agent, who couldn't answer any questions or give me any information, but just tried to pacify me. AT&T needs to make public the contact information for people like the helpful agent who changed my due date. The customer service available through the website is a joke!

Message 9 of 10 (475 Views)
ACE - Professor

cluella wrote:

OK, so a very helpful AT&T agent changed my billing date. The change resulted in my getting a smaller bill for the dates between the old due date and the new one. No problem. I scheduled that bill for payment through my bank on the due date requested. One week later, I received another bill, with a due date one week later than the first, WHICH SAID THAT THE PREVIOUS SMALL PAYMENT WAS PAST DUE!

I printed paper copies of both bills with the due dates on them. I know that the first payment wasn't past due, but I paid it upon receipt of the second bill, just to get AT&T off my back. I foolishly tried to protest, first to an agent at the so-called Customer Service number (he spoke such broken English that I asked to be transferred to someone else, whereupon he hung up) and a chat agent, who couldn't answer any questions or give me any information, but just tried to pacify me. AT&T needs to make public the contact information for people like the helpful agent who changed my due date. The customer service available through the website is a joke!

When bills are printed, any outstanding balance is listed as "past due" regardless of the due date. It's kind of silly, but that the way their billing system works. 

Message 10 of 10 (453 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.