Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 29, 2013
9:00:40 AM
Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

We really like the AT&T service but love the horse races more!  We're going to have to switch to TimeWarner Cable if they don't get it back!

We really like the AT&T service but love the horse races more!  We're going to have to switch to TimeWarner Cable if they don't get it back!

108 replies
(5) Me too
(5) Me too
View all replies
(108)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 11:37:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

americangame wrote:

If TVG didn't charge AT&T the the channel would be avaliable on any basic network level. Instead it's a part of the sports package, which implies to me that it was charging a high rate to AT&T.

That's not necessarily so.  c.f. NASA Channel.  However, I agree that it is the way to bet.

americangame wrote:

If TVG didn't charge AT&T the the channel would be avaliable on any basic network level. Instead it's a part of the sports package, which implies to me that it was charging a high rate to AT&T.

That's not necessarily so.  c.f. NASA Channel.  However, I agree that it is the way to bet.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

61 of 109 (2,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 1:53:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It could very well be that TVG and AT&T had a simple ad sharing plan, in leiu of a per subscriber rate (or a cut on betting?).  My gut is that HRTV made a deal that says you get more, or we pay more or ???, if you drop TVG.  As I said before, in the 80's, Jones Intercable dropped QVC like a hot potato after HSN made such a deal.  There was a happy ending to that story, Jones got tired of 20-30 calls per day about QVC leaving, and they came back.

It could very well be that TVG and AT&T had a simple ad sharing plan, in leiu of a per subscriber rate (or a cut on betting?).  My gut is that HRTV made a deal that says you get more, or we pay more or ???, if you drop TVG.  As I said before, in the 80's, Jones Intercable dropped QVC like a hot potato after HSN made such a deal.  There was a happy ending to that story, Jones got tired of 20-30 calls per day about QVC leaving, and they came back.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

62 of 109 (2,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 4:26:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

That may be the total number of TVG viewers though so I doubt that tactic would work.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

dhascall wrote:

That may be the total number of TVG viewers though so I doubt that tactic would work.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

63 of 109 (2,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 5:30:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

I love uverse and one of the last people to have them in our area of all the people I hangout with. I just had them add the horse racing channels back on my account for me.  And boom! Tvg is gone. Hrtv is ok but TVG is better.  Ill be changing service for sure. Not a doubt about it.  Our internet is slow even though we have upgraded the speed and the loss of TVG is just the last straw.  Time for a change!

I love uverse and one of the last people to have them in our area of all the people I hangout with. I just had them add the horse racing channels back on my account for me.  And boom! Tvg is gone. Hrtv is ok but TVG is better.  Ill be changing service for sure. Not a doubt about it.  Our internet is slow even though we have upgraded the speed and the loss of TVG is just the last straw.  Time for a change!

64 of 109 (2,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 7:07:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

metallicub wrote:

We are subscribers just like you so there is nothing we can do to bring TVG back. Thank you for stopping by to announce you are leaving. I hope your new provider gives you everything you want, and is absolutely perfect for you. Do not be surprised that you end up regretting that you left U-Verse.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

metallicub wrote:

We are subscribers just like you so there is nothing we can do to bring TVG back. Thank you for stopping by to announce you are leaving. I hope your new provider gives you everything you want, and is absolutely perfect for you. Do not be surprised that you end up regretting that you left U-Verse.

65 of 109 (2,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 5:41:00 PM
(0)
Employee

marcindublin wrote:

I'm not saying AT&T doesn't have the legal right to terminate a channel. In fact, it has to be that way or content providers would abuse the system even more than they are doing now. I am saying that AT&T shouldn't be able to mess with the service with no consequence. It's really not all that hard a concept. I don't care about TVG. In fact, I never heard of TVG before this thread. That's not the point. Suppose it was ESPN or, as happened with Time Warner, CBS or some other channel that people really cared about. Without a contract, you could terminate service and subscribe to a service that met your needs. In the era of the 2 year contract, you are screwed.

To sum up, AT*T shouldn't be able to sign you to a 2 year contract on Monday, terminate channels you care about a month from Tuesday and have you stuck with a useless (to you)  service for 23 months. You wouldn't tolerate this with any other product or service, why tolerate it with a TV service?

One, at&t does not have two year contracts on any of service. If you get a triple pack bundle (tv, internet and phone), you get a 2 year promotion, but the contract is still only one year. So you would only be stuck with 'useless' service for 11 months. I'm sorry but it's just crazy to think that you should be let out of your contract because of one channel.

marcindublin wrote:

I'm not saying AT&T doesn't have the legal right to terminate a channel. In fact, it has to be that way or content providers would abuse the system even more than they are doing now. I am saying that AT&T shouldn't be able to mess with the service with no consequence. It's really not all that hard a concept. I don't care about TVG. In fact, I never heard of TVG before this thread. That's not the point. Suppose it was ESPN or, as happened with Time Warner, CBS or some other channel that people really cared about. Without a contract, you could terminate service and subscribe to a service that met your needs. In the era of the 2 year contract, you are screwed.

To sum up, AT*T shouldn't be able to sign you to a 2 year contract on Monday, terminate channels you care about a month from Tuesday and have you stuck with a useless (to you)  service for 23 months. You wouldn't tolerate this with any other product or service, why tolerate it with a TV service?

One, at&t does not have two year contracts on any of service. If you get a triple pack bundle (tv, internet and phone), you get a 2 year promotion, but the contract is still only one year. So you would only be stuck with 'useless' service for 11 months. I'm sorry but it's just crazy to think that you should be let out of your contract because of one channel.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!

66 of 109 (2,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 7:24:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

So what's fair?  Should someone be able to cancel a contract if U-Verse cancels network affiliates? NFL and NBA? USA and Lifetime? CNBC and Fox?  At what point would you say that the service you signed up for is no longer the service you are receiving. With regard to TVG, it is entirely possible that someone got U-Verse just for this one channel. In Columbus, tons of people got U-Verse a few years back because it had the Big Ten Network and Time Warner did not.

So what's fair?  Should someone be able to cancel a contract if U-Verse cancels network affiliates? NFL and NBA? USA and Lifetime? CNBC and Fox?  At what point would you say that the service you signed up for is no longer the service you are receiving. With regard to TVG, it is entirely possible that someone got U-Verse just for this one channel. In Columbus, tons of people got U-Verse a few years back because it had the Big Ten Network and Time Warner did not.

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!

67 of 109 (1,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 11:33:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Give it up, marcindublin. Due to the terms of service about AT&T reserving the right to alter the program lineup at any time, no judge in the world would side against AT&T should you try to get out of your contract over the loss of a TVG. I am not saying I agree that this should be the case, but that's just the way it is.
Give it up, marcindublin. Due to the terms of service about AT&T reserving the right to alter the program lineup at any time, no judge in the world would side against AT&T should you try to get out of your contract over the loss of a TVG. I am not saying I agree that this should be the case, but that's just the way it is.

68 of 109 (1,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 12:31:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If a subscriber wanted to leave a provider and get out of a contract without a penalty, all the subscriber would have to do was claim that a channel or channels they joined for was no longer a part of the channel lineup whether or not they actually joined for that channel or channels. How could the subscriber or provider prove it one way or the other?

This is a totally unworkable solution.

If a subscriber wanted to leave a provider and get out of a contract without a penalty, all the subscriber would have to do was claim that a channel or channels they joined for was no longer a part of the channel lineup whether or not they actually joined for that channel or channels. How could the subscriber or provider prove it one way or the other?

69 of 109 (1,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 1:33:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:04:08 AM

dwinth wrote:

I think that if someone wanted to leave bad enough, they could bug AT&T through social media until AT&T would pay (their ETF) for them to leave.  In 2008, I chose U-Verse simply because they had Showtime at a decent price, with the U300 package.  When I joined, there was no THDVR, so Showtime was the main reason that I subscribed.  And it could have been a reason to tgo, just as well.

dwinth wrote:

I think that if someone wanted to leave bad enough, they could bug AT&T through social media until AT&T would pay (their ETF) for them to leave.  In 2008, I chose U-Verse simply because they had Showtime at a decent price, with the U300 package.  When I joined, there was no THDVR, so Showtime was the main reason that I subscribed.  And it could have been a reason to tgo, just as well.

[ Edited ]
70 of 109 (1,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 5:47:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by codycooper864 on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:52:15 PM

I DID NOT SHOOT OFF AT THE MOUTH! CAN'T I SAY ANYTHING HERE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED! I SIMPLY POINTED OUT THAT AT&T DOES NOT LEGALLY HAVE TO LET A PERSON OUT OF A CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY DROPPED A CHANNEL THEY LIKED, AND I KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE! DWINTH SAID ESSENTIALLY WHAT I DID, AND HE WAS NOT ATTACKED. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN A MODEL POSTER IN THE PAST, BUT I DID NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE THAT ONE AND IT REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS! iF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE FOR GOOD JUST SAY SO.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

I DID NOT SHOOT OFF AT THE MOUTH! CAN'T I SAY ANYTHING HERE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED! I SIMPLY POINTED OUT THAT AT&T DOES NOT LEGALLY HAVE TO LET A PERSON OUT OF A CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY DROPPED A CHANNEL THEY LIKED, AND I KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE! DWINTH SAID ESSENTIALLY WHAT I DID, AND HE WAS NOT ATTACKED. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN A MODEL POSTER IN THE PAST, BUT I DID NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE THAT ONE AND IT REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS! iF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE FOR GOOD JUST SAY SO.

[ Edited ]
71 of 109 (1,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:13:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:51:48 PM

codycooper864 wrote:

I DID NOT SHOOT OFF AT THE MOUTH! CAN'T I SAY ANYTHING HERE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED! I SIMPLY POINTED OUT THAT AT&T DOES NOT LEGALLY HAVE TO LET A PERSON OUT OF A CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY DROPPED A CHANNEL THEY LIKED, AND I KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE! DHAS CALL SAID ESSENTIALLY WHAT I DID, AND HE WAS NOT ATTACKED. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN A MODEL POSTER IN THE PAST, BUT I DID NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE THAT ONE AND IT REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS! iF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE FOR GOOD JUST SAY SO.

There is no need to shout.

codycooper864 wrote:

I DID NOT SHOOT OFF AT THE MOUTH! CAN'T I SAY ANYTHING HERE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED! I SIMPLY POINTED OUT THAT AT&T DOES NOT LEGALLY HAVE TO LET A PERSON OUT OF A CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY DROPPED A CHANNEL THEY LIKED, AND I KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE! DHAS CALL SAID ESSENTIALLY WHAT I DID, AND HE WAS NOT ATTACKED. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN A MODEL POSTER IN THE PAST, BUT I DID NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE THAT ONE AND IT REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS! iF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE FOR GOOD JUST SAY SO.

There is no need to shout.

[ Edited ]
72 of 109 (1,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:20:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by codycooper864 on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:50:33 PM

YES THERE IS! I WAS VERY OFFENDED!

YES THERE IS! I WAS VERY OFFENDED!

[ Edited ]
73 of 109 (1,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:20:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:52:32 PM

codycooper864 wrote:

Take a chill pill, dude!  Smiley Frustrated

...and don't cry....really.....Smiley Sad

codycooper864 wrote:

Take a chill pill, dude!  Smiley Frustrated

...and don't cry....really.....Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
74 of 109 (1,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:53:32 PM
(0)

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

75 of 109 (1,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 5:08:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Taylarie on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04:58 AM

Gotcah Phil.  I deleted part of my post {Inappropriate content removed}  Smiley Happy  But I still stand by what I said, if someone wnats to leave U-Verse bad enough, AT&T I'm sure would make an exception, on a case b y case basis.  .

Gotcah Phil.  I deleted part of my post {Inappropriate content removed}  Smiley Happy  But I still stand by what I said, if someone wnats to leave U-Verse bad enough, AT&T I'm sure would make an exception, on a case b y case basis.  .

[ Edited ]
76 of 109 (1,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 6:45:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:52:51 AM

Still showing on the U-Verse channel list.

Still showing on the U-Verse channel list.

[ Edited ]
77 of 109 (1,869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2013 12:57:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

I live in Atlanta and own thoroughbreds. The only reason I installed U-verse was because it had TVG and HRTV. I hate that AT&T and TVG point their fingers at each other and we lose no matter what! This sucks! 

I live in Atlanta and own thoroughbreds. The only reason I installed U-verse was because it had TVG and HRTV. I hate that AT&T and TVG point their fingers at each other and we lose no matter what! This sucks! 

78 of 109 (1,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 3:09:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Why did Uverse delete TVG, even thought it is provided at no cost to AT&T?

TVG

79 of 109 (1,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 11:11:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Never heard of it must not be popular. What does TVG stand for?

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

Re: TVG

80 of 109 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 3:27:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Kong57 wrote:

TV Gaming, I believe. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic (since this channel has been in several threads recently), but it showed horse races and other horse racing-themed programming.

Kong57 wrote:

TV Gaming, I believe. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic (since this channel has been in several threads recently), but it showed horse races and other horse racing-themed programming.

81 of 109 (1,755 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 5:08:49 AM
(0)
Employee

steverg wrote:

Nothing is free, not even health care, and not this channel.

steverg wrote:

Nothing is free, not even health care, and not this channel.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

82 of 109 (1,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 6:12:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:12:27 AM

steverg wrote:

Does anyone have any actual knowledge of the terms of the proposed retransmit agreement?  I'd like to see this "no cost" for myself.

steverg wrote:

Does anyone have any actual knowledge of the terms of the proposed retransmit agreement?  I'd like to see this "no cost" for myself.

[ Edited ]
83 of 109 (1,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:10:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

NASA is provided free....  So it is possible.  Now, does this mean that AT&T doesn't have costs associated with its carriage?  Of course not (that part speaks to the rather blunt post, above yours).

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

NASA is provided free....  So it is possible.  Now, does this mean that AT&T doesn't have costs associated with its carriage?  Of course not (that part speaks to the rather blunt post, above yours).

84 of 109 (1,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:29:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

Yep, made that point myself earlier in this thread.  I was just want those who make the claim that this particular channel was at no cost to AT&T to put up some proof or quit saying it.  What you think you heard any given Tier 1 support rep is as useful to this conversation at any cover story on the National Inquirer.

dhascall wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

Yep, made that point myself earlier in this thread.  I was just want those who make the claim that this particular channel was at no cost to AT&T to put up some proof or quit saying it.  What you think you heard any given Tier 1 support rep is as useful to this conversation at any cover story on the National Inquirer.

85 of 109 (1,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:36:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 18, 2013 at 8:25:00 AM

Smiley Very Happy  The hard thing for us end users (or even employees) would be proof - one way or the other. 

Kinda like the folks who bemoan the Hallmark complainers and "how much Crown Media wanted to charge."  Really?  I don't know as I was not at the negotiation table, lol. 

Smiley Very Happy  The hard thing for us end users (or even employees) would be proof - one way or the other. 

Kinda like the folks who bemoan the Hallmark complainers and "how much Crown Media wanted to charge."  Really?  I don't know as I was not at the negotiation table, lol. 

[ Edited ]
86 of 109 (1,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:41:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

At least the first guy attributed it to the TVG rep, which is fair. This last poster was probably just repeating the information from that first post but without any attribution.

Though, I'm wondering... why would TVG have a call center?  Do most channels?  Why?

At least the first guy attributed it to the TVG rep, which is fair. This last poster was probably just repeating the information from that first post but without any attribution.

Though, I'm wondering... why would TVG have a call center?  Do most channels?  Why?

87 of 109 (1,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 9:18:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

There are so many intials for everything I really did not know

MicCheck wrote:

Kong57 wrote:

There are so many intials for everything I really did not know

MicCheck wrote:

Kong57 wrote:

88 of 109 (1,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 3:36:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

I don't know the terms, so this is purely conjecture.

I could see TVG being provided as no cost, since I'd imagine they make their money off of bettors, rather than ads. Kind of like the shopping networks.

Perhaps the agreement called for revenue sharing, and TVG wanted to cut AT&T's portion, and that was the nature of the dispute.

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

I could see TVG being provided as no cost, since I'd imagine they make their money off of bettors, rather than ads. Kind of like the shopping networks.

Perhaps the agreement called for revenue sharing, and TVG wanted to cut AT&T's portion, and that was the nature of the dispute.

89 of 109 (1,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 6:13:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

MicCheck wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

They probably charge AT&T in states that aren't allowed to bet online/over the phone and decided to increase the cost to AT&T in those areas.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

MicCheck wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

steverg wrote:

They probably charge AT&T in states that aren't allowed to bet online/over the phone and decided to increase the cost to AT&T in those areas.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

90 of 109 (1,889 Views)