Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

 

We really like the AT&T service but love the horse races more!  We're going to have to switch to TimeWarner Cable if they don't get it back!

Message 1 of 109 (8,334 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?


americangame wrote:

If TVG didn't charge AT&T the the channel would be avaliable on any basic network level. Instead it's a part of the sports package, which implies to me that it was charging a high rate to AT&T.


That's not necessarily so.  c.f. NASA Channel.  However, I agree that it is the way to bet.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 61 of 109 (2,624 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

It could very well be that TVG and AT&T had a simple ad sharing plan, in leiu of a per subscriber rate (or a cut on betting?).  My gut is that HRTV made a deal that says you get more, or we pay more or ???, if you drop TVG.  As I said before, in the 80's, Jones Intercable dropped QVC like a hot potato after HSN made such a deal.  There was a happy ending to that story, Jones got tired of 20-30 calls per day about QVC leaving, and they came back.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 62 of 109 (2,548 Views)

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?


dhascall wrote:

It could very well be that TVG and AT&T had a simple ad sharing plan, in leiu of a per subscriber rate (or a cut on betting?).  My gut is that HRTV made a deal that says you get more, or we pay more or ???, if you drop TVG.  As I said before, in the 80's, Jones Intercable dropped QVC like a hot potato after HSN made such a deal.  There was a happy ending to that story, Jones got tired of 20-30 calls per day about QVC leaving, and they came back.


That may be the total number of TVG viewers though so I doubt that tactic would work.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 63 of 109 (2,527 Views)
Contributor

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

I love uverse and one of the last people to have them in our area of all the people I hangout with. I just had them add the horse racing channels back on my account for me.  And boom! Tvg is gone. Hrtv is ok but TVG is better.  Ill be changing service for sure. Not a doubt about it.  Our internet is slow even though we have upgraded the speed and the loss of TVG is just the last straw.  Time for a change!

Message 64 of 109 (2,476 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?


metallicub wrote:

I love uverse and one of the last people to have them in our area of all the people I hangout with. I just had them add the horse racing channels back on my account for me.  And boom! Tvg is gone. Hrtv is ok but TVG is better.  Ill be changing service for sure. Not a doubt about it.  Our internet is slow even though we have upgraded the speed and the loss of TVG is just the last straw.  Time for a change!


We are subscribers just like you so there is nothing we can do to bring TVG back. Thank you for stopping by to announce you are leaving. I hope your new provider gives you everything you want, and is absolutely perfect for you. Do not be surprised that you end up regretting that you left U-Verse.

 


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 65 of 109 (2,470 Views)
Employee

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!


marcindublin wrote:

I'm not saying AT&T doesn't have the legal right to terminate a channel. In fact, it has to be that way or content providers would abuse the system even more than they are doing now. I am saying that AT&T shouldn't be able to mess with the service with no consequence. It's really not all that hard a concept. I don't care about TVG. In fact, I never heard of TVG before this thread. That's not the point. Suppose it was ESPN or, as happened with Time Warner, CBS or some other channel that people really cared about. Without a contract, you could terminate service and subscribe to a service that met your needs. In the era of the 2 year contract, you are screwed.

 

To sum up, AT*T shouldn't be able to sign you to a 2 year contract on Monday, terminate channels you care about a month from Tuesday and have you stuck with a useless (to you)  service for 23 months. You wouldn't tolerate this with any other product or service, why tolerate it with a TV service?


One, at&t does not have two year contracts on any of service. If you get a triple pack bundle (tv, internet and phone), you get a 2 year promotion, but the contract is still only one year. So you would only be stuck with 'useless' service for 11 months. I'm sorry but it's just crazy to think that you should be let out of your contract because of one channel.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 66 of 109 (2,434 Views)
Scholar

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!

One, at&t does not have two year contracts on any of service. If you get a triple pack bundle (tv, internet and phone), you get a 2 year promotion, but the contract is still only one year. So you would only be stuck with 'useless' service for 11 months. I'm sorry but it's just crazy to think that you should be let out of your contract because of one channel.

 

So what's fair?  Should someone be able to cancel a contract if U-Verse cancels network affiliates? NFL and NBA? USA and Lifetime? CNBC and Fox?  At what point would you say that the service you signed up for is no longer the service you are receiving. With regard to TVG, it is entirely possible that someone got U-Verse just for this one channel. In Columbus, tons of people got U-Verse a few years back because it had the Big Ten Network and Time Warner did not.

Message 67 of 109 (2,407 Views)

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

Give it up, marcindublin. Due to the terms of service about AT&T reserving the right to alter the program lineup at any time, no judge in the world would side against AT&T should you try to get out of your contract over the loss of a TVG. I am not saying I agree that this should be the case, but that's just the way it is.
Message 68 of 109 (2,384 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

If a subscriber wanted to leave a provider and get out of a contract without a penalty, all the subscriber would have to do was claim that a channel or channels they joined for was no longer a part of the channel lineup whether or not they actually joined for that channel or channels. How could the subscriber or provider prove it one way or the other?

 

This is a totally unworkable solution.

 


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 69 of 109 (2,378 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

[ Edited ]

dwinth wrote:

If a subscriber wanted to leave a provider and get out of a contract without a penalty, all the subscriber would have to do was claim that a channel or channels they joined for was no longer a part of the channel lineup whether or not they actually joined for that channel or channels. How could the subscriber or provider prove it one way or the other?

 

This is a totally unworkable solution.

 


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.


I think that if someone wanted to leave bad enough, they could bug AT&T through social media until AT&T would pay (their ETF) for them to leave.  In 2008, I chose U-Verse simply because they had Showtime at a decent price, with the U300 package.  When I joined, there was no THDVR, so Showtime was the main reason that I subscribed.  And it could have been a reason to tgo, just as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 70 of 109 (2,371 Views)

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

[ Edited ]

I DID NOT SHOOT OFF AT THE MOUTH! CAN'T I SAY ANYTHING HERE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED! I SIMPLY POINTED OUT THAT AT&T DOES NOT LEGALLY HAVE TO LET A PERSON OUT OF A CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY DROPPED A CHANNEL THEY LIKED, AND I KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE! DWINTH SAID ESSENTIALLY WHAT I DID, AND HE WAS NOT ATTACKED. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN A MODEL POSTER IN THE PAST, BUT I DID NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE THAT ONE AND IT REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS! iF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE FOR GOOD JUST SAY SO.

 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 71 of 109 (2,345 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

[ Edited ]

codycooper864 wrote:

I DID NOT SHOOT OFF AT THE MOUTH! CAN'T I SAY ANYTHING HERE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED! I SIMPLY POINTED OUT THAT AT&T DOES NOT LEGALLY HAVE TO LET A PERSON OUT OF A CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY DROPPED A CHANNEL THEY LIKED, AND I KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE! DHAS CALL SAID ESSENTIALLY WHAT I DID, AND HE WAS NOT ATTACKED. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN A MODEL POSTER IN THE PAST, BUT I DID NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE THAT ONE AND IT REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS! iF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE FOR GOOD JUST SAY SO.

 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]


There is no need to shout.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 72 of 109 (2,338 Views)

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

[ Edited ]

YES THERE IS! I WAS VERY OFFENDED!

Message 73 of 109 (2,335 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

[ Edited ]

codycooper864 wrote:

I DID NOT SHOOT OFF AT THE MOUTH! CAN'T I SAY ANYTHING HERE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED! I SIMPLY POINTED OUT THAT AT&T DOES NOT LEGALLY HAVE TO LET A PERSON OUT OF A CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY DROPPED A CHANNEL THEY LIKED, AND I KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE! DHAS CALL SAID ESSENTIALLY WHAT I DID, AND HE WAS NOT ATTACKED. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN A MODEL POSTER IN THE PAST, BUT I DID NOT IN ANY WAY DESERVE THAT ONE AND IT REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS! iF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE FOR GOOD JUST SAY SO.

 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]


Take a chill pill, dude!  Smiley Frustrated

 

 

...and don't cry....really.....Smiley Sad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 74 of 109 (2,334 Views)
Moderator

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

Message 75 of 109 (2,339 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support