Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

We really like the AT&T service but love the horse races more!  We're going to have to switch to TimeWarner Cable if they don't get it back!

Message 1 of 109 (8,286 Views)
Highlighted

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!

marcindublin wrote:

Ironically, TVG still appears in the online channel guide for Uverse. Thanks to Americangame for strengthening the rather obvious point I was trying to make. Even if this were not the case, however, the argument that so long at AT&T offered the channel on the DAY you signed up, they fufilled the implied obligation is silly. What is the poor consumer to do. There is obviously an implied commitment that the channel selection will remain stable. If this were not the case, y'all wouldn't be telling consumers to do their homework prior to signing up because doing your homework would be impossible.

I think you are misinterpreting the oft-given advice to check the lineup before beginning service (with ANY provider).  Such advice does NOT suggest that the channel lineup will be stable.  It just means that  any potential subscriber would know if any channels are absent at that time that would be a deal-breaker before making the deal.  The absence of a channel does not mean that it cannot be added later; the presence of a channel does not mean that it cannot be removed later.  It is simply a snapshot of what is offered at the time.  All providers experience channel changes, and none can guarantee the stability of their offerings for any set time frame.  The TOS clearly allows for possible modifications of service and there is no bait and switch.  Things change.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
Message 46 of 109 (2,470 Views)
Expert

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

From the link below:

AT&T U-Verse has ceased carriage of TVG, the horseracing channel, according to a company spokesman.

TVG was one of the first national networks dedicated solely to horse racing, providing live feeds from several tracks around in the U.S.,  and allowing viewers with betting accounts to gamble on races via the phone or online.

“Despite our good faith efforts to negotiate and reach an agreement to renew, and to fully resolve an outstanding compliance issue, we were not able to reach mutually beneficial terms and no longer have the rights to carry the content,” AT&T executive director of media relations Mark Siegel said in a statement.

TVG was available on channel 670 as part of its U450 Package, the company said.

U-Verse continues to carry TVG rival HRTV on channel 672. HRTV, a joint venture between leading horse racetrack operators The Stronach Group (Santa Anita Park, Pimlico Race Course and Gulfstream Park) and Churchill Downs Inc., is available in about 19 million homes across the country. 

TVG was formed in 1999 and was purchased in 2009 by United Kingdom betting concern Betfair for about $50.7 million. At the time, TVG was available in about 30 million homes. TVG did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

http://www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/u-verse-scratches-tvg-horse-racing-network/146971

Message 47 of 109 (2,453 Views)
ACE - Master

U-Verse continues to carry TVG rival HRTV......  Draw what you want or will, from that.  I know, I am.  Smiley Surprised

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 48 of 109 (2,420 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!

mythoughts wrote: First you do not have to take a contract, you may sign up for services on a month to month with no free installation (charged $149), no discounts, AND no $180 termination fee. ATT offers a discount both bundled (double or triple play) or single play with free or reduced installation charges in exchange for a long term commitment. Your acceptance means if things change and you want to walk away, you can just pay the termination fee and return any leased equipment, or decline the per month savings (example $51 per month is $612 yearly plus $149 install fee for $761) that you could pay to walk at any time without $180 cancel fee. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Granted, this was a few years ago, but I got a new customer offer without a contract. Let's say if you want a promo, you're forced to sign a contract. what if you signed up for AT&T without a contract, waited a month or so and then called the retentions or sales/billing department and asked for a promo. This way, you wouldn't have the termination fee, but you'd also save money. Another thing people don't think of is that when the providers offer discounted bills to new customers, they're essentially offering to pay any termination fees. -- Sure, AT&T charges a $180 termination fee, but Time Warner offers a $150 or $300 or whatever it is Visa gift card. I'm sure other providers have their own similar offers for new customers.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 49 of 109 (2,408 Views)

Its more like TVG got way to greedy just like Hallmark Networks.  

Message 50 of 109 (2,319 Views)
Tutor

TVG Gone ... I'm right behind them!

[ Edited ]

Today, I cut my bill in 1/2.  I dropped to the 200 package and dropped all premiums AND my sports package, which was required in order to receive TVG.  Now that I am down to basics, I plan to shop around for a service which includes TVG.  I am a horse owner and work with others in the industry.  I'm not sure if they care, but dropping TVG resulted in me not only dropping the sports package, but all premiums and the max package, and ultimately my service in its entirety.  I have been a uverse customer for 8 years.

Lately, I seem to be fighting daily with "replay command is not available. Too many tvs in your home are either watching or recording live TV."   AND "This channel has jumped to live TV to allow TV viewing or recording on the DVR receiver."  None of this is true.

I've had service people out here several times over the last few months.  When I sent a text to the last tech a day after he was here about the issues above, he told me to call uverse and have them send me another DVR.  I didn't.  I decided I was moving on anyway.  Why didn't my service guy deal with it?  Why do I have to call again?  Well, the TVG dropping was the final straw.  We are suppose to get 4 HD signals at one time.  That can be recording or live HD.  We constantly get error messages often when only one TV is being used.  We've called on this multiple times.  Happens all the time when we are using less than the 4 HD signals.  And usually it is when we are using just 2.

I don't know if better options are out there.  But ATT just does not care.  I never got over issues several years back when our service was in and out for months.  Almost daily.  They had 20 people at my house over several months.  Leaving work to meet, shows and sports being interrupted countless times, once they finally got it worked out, they offered me 20.00 credit.  I probably spent 50.00 in gas coming home to meet them.   We argued and argued.  They forgot about that, but I never will.

So, I hate to go, but I have been driven away by a company that is too big to care.

Message 51 of 109 (2,363 Views)
Employee

Re: TVG Gone ... I'm right behind them!

Sorry to hear of your ongoing issues, this post is only to address the text sent to last service tech who visited you, "why didn't my service guy deal with it?"

The tech is responsible for 30 days from time of visit, if another tech is dispatched within 30 days the original tech gets a repeat. To save the customer some techs (all should be)provide a way to contact directly either and/or by leaving their work cell number (my perferred choice) or email. The tech, with a manger knowledge (gps on truck) can revisit for follow up, but cannot exchange (inventory) item such s a DVR. That requires either a work order to dispatch a tech, or request for direct ship which tech informed you to do.

If sure that dvr recordings are not scheduled at time of watching living tv, recommend factory resetting both RG and DVR (lose all recordings), to see if problem persist before replacing DVR which also results in losing all recordings.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 52 of 109 (2,336 Views)

I'm dissapointed too that TVG was dropped.  May I ask what subscriber you decided to go with that does offer TVG?

Message 53 of 109 (2,318 Views)

I checked out HRTV but unfortunately for me the hosts are just not as informative and exciting as TVG for good horseracing feedback.  Even the view and coloring of the shows are dull and faded.  I guess I'll have to move on....

Message 54 of 109 (2,310 Views)
ACE - Professor

Suewill999 wrote:

I'm dissapointed too that TVG was dropped.  May I ask what subscriber you decided to go with that does offer TVG?

Instead of asking the original poster which television provider he is planning to switch to, I would do the homework yourself to see which providers in your area offer TVG. Some of the providers in his area may not be in your area., and that may be the very one he is switching to.

If you do the research yourself, then you have only yourself to blame if your new provider does not have TVG.

I would hope the moderators would combine this thread with the other TVG thread to make things more streamline.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
Message 55 of 109 (2,314 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Suewill999 wrote:

I checked out HRTV but unfortunately for me the hosts are just not as informative and exciting as TVG for good horseracing feedback.  Even the view and coloring of the shows are dull and faded.  I guess I'll have to move on....

Thanks for stopping by to say goodbye.

I have watched both TVG and HRTV in the past, and this thought came to mind in regards to those posters who claim they are horse owners who wanted to watch their horses race on TVG.

As far as I know there is no schedule that exists that shows which races and their times that are to be run on TVG or HRTV. The programming seems to be random races. How do these so-called owners know that the race their horses will be running in will actually show on TVG or HRTV?

I have been to the race track several times in the past, and the televisions there have an individual channel for each racetrack. They do no show TVG and HRTV which show random races from multiple tracks.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Message 56 of 109 (2,305 Views)
Voyager

U-Verse drops TVG coverage

The ONLY reason I am a current U-verse/at&t subscriber is because they carried the TVG network.I left a cable company I was very happy with so I could watch TVG.  I pay premium for the 450 service so I could enjoy this network. Imagine my surprise when the programming was stopped over the Thanksgiving weekend.

I contacted TVG customer relations and they told me they do not charge at&t for airing their network but at&t decided not to carry them anymore.  Jeez. I can watch the same movie on 6 HBO channels at the same time but I can't watch a free to them network anymore.

Unfortunately for me I had to renew my contract with at&t October 23rd so barring paying a $180.00 penalty I am stuck with their system for 11 more months.

Message 57 of 109 (2,270 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

Message 58 of 109 (2,257 Views)
ACE - Expert

TrishMc wrote:

TVG customer relations told me that they do not charge at&t to air TVG network.

I find that extremely hard to believe.  Maybe TVG customer relations are every bit as good as AT&T's level one telephone support ops.

Message 59 of 109 (2,258 Views)
ACE - Professor

If TVG didn't charge AT&T the the channel would be avaliable on any basic network level. Instead it's a part of the sports package, which implies to me that it was charging a high rate to AT&T.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 60 of 109 (2,653 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.