Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

We really like the AT&T service but love the horse races more!  We're going to have to switch to TimeWarner Cable if they don't get it back!

Message 1 of 109 (8,282 Views)
Scholar

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!

Intentional or not, it is bait and switch. As a society, we don't tolerate this in most any other product. If you pay for heated seats in your car and you don't get heated seats, you're entitled to compensation. If you pay for a computer with a wireless card and you don't get a wireless card, you're entitled to compensation. The OP was sold a TV service with TVG and did not get TVG. This should be worth something other than a "Sorry Sucker".

Yes, they all do it and yes, changing business conditions warrant changes to the service, but the very least that AT&T should do is make service contracts conditional on channels not being deleted. If I subscribe to a channel and sign a contract and the channel disappears, I should have 30 days to reevaluate my relationship with AT&T.

Message 31 of 109 (2,670 Views)
ACE - Professor

marcindublin wrote:

Intentional or not, it is bait and switch. As a society, we don't tolerate this in most any other product. If you pay for heated seats in your car and you don't get heated seats, you're entitled to compensation. If you pay for a computer with a wireless card and you don't get a wireless card, you're entitled to compensation. The OP was sold a TV service with TVG and did not get TVG. This should be worth something other than a "Sorry Sucker".

Yes, they all do it and yes, changing business conditions warrant changes to the service, but the very least that AT&T should do is make service contracts conditional on channels not being deleted. If I subscribe to a channel and sign a contract and the channel disappears, I should have 30 days to reevaluate my relationship with AT&T.

All television providers have the right to add or delete channels (end carriage agreements at the end of the contract.). If you think otherwise, you are very naive.

If you had read earlier posts on this thread, you would have seen the clause in Section 8 of the AT&T U-Verse Terms of Service entitled  "INTERRUPTIONS, LIMITATIONS, AND MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE."

http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp?source=EC00uv000000001UL&wtExtndSource=uv_ftr_to...

This clause states:
"AT&T also reserves the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, at any time and from time to time, the Services (or any function or feature of the Services or any part thereof) without liability. "

Were you promised that TVG would always be part of the U-Verse lineup? I do not think so. Therefore, there was no bait and switch.

I hope you are not a One Post One and Done poster, and will reply to my post.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 109 (2,647 Views)
Scholar

I'm not saying AT&T doesn't have the legal right to terminate a channel. In fact, it has to be that way or content providers would abuse the system even more than they are doing now. I am saying that AT&T shouldn't be able to mess with the service with no consequence. It's really not all that hard a concept. I don't care about TVG. In fact, I never heard of TVG before this thread. That's not the point. Suppose it was ESPN or, as happened with Time Warner, CBS or some other channel that people really cared about. Without a contract, you could terminate service and subscribe to a service that met your needs. In the era of the 2 year contract, you are screwed.

To sum up, AT*T shouldn't be able to sign you to a 2 year contract on Monday, terminate channels you care about a month from Tuesday and have you stuck with a useless (to you)  service for 23 months. You wouldn't tolerate this with any other product or service, why tolerate it with a TV service?

Message 33 of 109 (2,626 Views)
Employee

First you do not have to take a contract, you may sign up for services on a month to month with no free installation (charged $149), no discounts, AND no $180 termination fee.

ATT offers a discount both bundled (double or triple play) or single play with free or reduced installation charges in exchange for a long term commitment. Your acceptance means if things change and you want to walk away, you can just pay the termination fee and return any leased equipment, or decline the per month savings (example $51 per month is $612 yearly plus $149 install fee for $761) that you could pay to walk at any time without $180 cancel fee.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 34 of 109 (2,623 Views)

marcindublin wrote:

I don't know how many times it has to be said, IT IS NOT BAIT AND SWITCH.  For the love of God, negotiations between providers and networks happen every day.  The majority end up with channels being added or staying. Sometimes though, a network wants more money than a provider is willing to pay for.  It's a business decision.  The provider will weigh the potential for loss of customers and determine if it's worth it.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 35 of 109 (2,610 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm Americangame. You may have seen me in threads such as "Where is the Hallmark Channel?" and "How do I change my NAT settings?" Today I'm here to talk about what a bait and switch really is.

Now you may be telling yourself, "TVG is missing from the channel lineup and I was one of the 12 people who watched horse racing at home for some reason. AT&T U-Verse got rid of it and I'm angry. That makes this situation a bait and switch!" 

Now hold on there little jockey, this isn't a bait and switch situation. Let me provide you an example of what a bait and switch scenario actually is.

Let's say you see an ad for a wonderful new Kitchenaid stand mixer that your lovely wife has been begging for the last few weeks in the Sunday paper being sold for $100 at your local mom and pop shop. This is what we call the "bait" in this scenario.

Now you're the first person to arrive at the store that day and you notice that the advertised stand mixer is nowhere to be found. You begin talking with a salesman about the location and status of the stand mixer and he decides to try and sell you another more expensive model that you have no desire to purchase. That maneuver by the salesman is what we like to call the "switch."

Now hold on a moment how is the TVG network leaving AT&T U-verse not a bait and switch? Well notice how when you signed up for the service, the TVG Network was there. No baiting happened. You actually got the channel.

"But now they've taken it away so that's the bait!" Sorry but you're wrong. In order for them to be baiting, they would have to continue advertising that they offer the channel. I'm willing to put my neck out there and say that there isn't any promotional paper out there that has TVG as one of the channels they're advertising. 

Now remember in order for it to be a "bait and switch" there is a second part of the equation that has to be offered: the switch. When AT&T removed U-Verse from the lineup, they didn't say "Well we don't have TVG anymore but if you want to watch horse racing like TVG you must buy our bigger package and you can watch HRTV." 

Well that's all the time I have for today, tune in next week when I'll pop up in the thread,"Yes AT&T still doesn't have the Hallmark Channel. Stop asking about The NHL Network too."

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 36 of 109 (2,591 Views)
ACE - Master

Message 37 of 109 (2,582 Views)
Tutor

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

Because AT&T is a mean company who does NOT care about its customers.  I switched to Uverse from DirecTV because it offered both TVG and HRTV.  But TVG is much better.  I lost some other good channels when I switched too.  AT&T has given me bad service before and they have done it again.  This company only survives because it is so old and so big.  BTW, whatever you do, NEVER, NEVER, EVER get AT&T cellphone service.  Go with Verizon.  I have a plan to totally dump AT&T and once I do it will be permanent.

Message 38 of 109 (2,581 Views)
ACE - Master

skilcoyne wrote:

Because AT&T is a mean company who does NOT care about its customers.  I switched to Uverse from DirecTV because it offered both TVG and HRTV.  But TVG is much better.  I lost some other good channels when I switched too.  AT&T has given me bad service before and they have done it again.  This company only survives because it is so old and so big.  BTW, whatever you do, NEVER, NEVER, EVER get AT&T cellphone service.  Go with Verizon.  I have a plan to totally dump AT&T and once I do it will be permanent.

Hmmmm.....well, we've had ATT cell service forever....switched to Uverse from Comcast over 7 years ago and VOIP phone when it was offered.

But thanks for the advice.  *rollseyes*

Message 39 of 109 (2,578 Views)
ACE - Master

Commenters from TVG's Facebook page mentions that HRTV must have had something to do with the removal.  They also mention that "desperate folks do desperate things," meaning HRTV is a distant second tpo TVG.  I have no opinion but back in the 80's, Jones Cable worked out a deal with upstart HSN and kicked QVC off its lineup for a while.  There were LOTS of testy folks for the few months that QVC was gone.

Message 40 of 109 (2,577 Views)
Scholar

Ironically, TVG still appears in the online channel guide for Uverse. Thanks to Americangame for strengthening the rather obvious point I was trying to make. Even if this were not the case, however, the argument that so long at AT&T offered the channel on the DAY you signed up, they fufilled the implied obligation is silly. What is the poor consumer to do. There is obviously an implied commitment that the channel selection will remain stable. If this were not the case, y'all wouldn't be telling consumers to do their homework prior to signing up because doing your homework would be impossible.

Message 41 of 109 (2,543 Views)
ACE - Master

marcindublin - Other than Comcast all providers have lost channels.  Are you following Wendy's Hamburger saga on discontinuing the Pretzel Bun?  Similar but not an exact analogy.

Message 42 of 109 (2,533 Views)
ACE - Professor

In my opinion, the only people who religiously watch horse racing on TV are horse race owners that can't be at the track or people with a gambling problem.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 43 of 109 (2,522 Views)
Highlighted

marcindublin wrote:

Ironically, TVG still appears in the online channel guide for Uverse. Thanks to Americangame for strengthening the rather obvious point I was trying to make. Even if this were not the case, however, the argument that so long at AT&T offered the channel on the DAY you signed up, they fufilled the implied obligation is silly. What is the poor consumer to do. There is obviously an implied commitment that the channel selection will remain stable. If this were not the case, y'all wouldn't be telling consumers to do their homework prior to signing up because doing your homework would be impossible.

No provider GUARANTEES ANY CHANNEL!  All providers go through contract negotiations, most work, some don't and a channel may be removed temporarily (See Food Network, HGTV, DIY Network) or on a more permanent basis (NHL and Hallmark).  AT&T isn't the only provider that has dropped channels over contract disputes. Look it up. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 44 of 109 (2,515 Views)
Mentor

I take exception to what the one poster said about the only people watching TVG "Were horse owners who couldn't be at the track or problem gamblers".  I have in the past been an owner, but haven't had a stake in any in about 10 years.  Nor am I or my wife "problem gramblers".  We love the sport, and yes, it is a sport.  Having bith TVG and HRTV was one of the selling points to move to UV from DTV when we did about 5 years ago.  UV dropping TVG is just another reason why this sport has dropped in recent years.  Again, I am upset by the lost channel, but I am also still upset by UV not getting MLB EI and not having GoalLine this past football season.  But it will not stop me from being a customer.  I love the service and have never had an issue with anything.  But I guess my wife and I would make #'s 7 & 8 in counting those that are upset about this.  But believe me, there are bigger things in this World to get upset about.

Message 45 of 109 (2,479 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.