Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 29, 2013
9:00:40 AM
Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

We really like the AT&T service but love the horse races more!  We're going to have to switch to TimeWarner Cable if they don't get it back!

We really like the AT&T service but love the horse races more!  We're going to have to switch to TimeWarner Cable if they don't get it back!

108 replies
(5) Me too
(5) Me too
View all replies
(108)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2013 4:02:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Intentional or not, it is bait and switch. As a society, we don't tolerate this in most any other product. If you pay for heated seats in your car and you don't get heated seats, you're entitled to compensation. If you pay for a computer with a wireless card and you don't get a wireless card, you're entitled to compensation. The OP was sold a TV service with TVG and did not get TVG. This should be worth something other than a "Sorry Sucker".

Yes, they all do it and yes, changing business conditions warrant changes to the service, but the very least that AT&T should do is make service contracts conditional on channels not being deleted. If I subscribe to a channel and sign a contract and the channel disappears, I should have 30 days to reevaluate my relationship with AT&T.

Intentional or not, it is bait and switch. As a society, we don't tolerate this in most any other product. If you pay for heated seats in your car and you don't get heated seats, you're entitled to compensation. If you pay for a computer with a wireless card and you don't get a wireless card, you're entitled to compensation. The OP was sold a TV service with TVG and did not get TVG. This should be worth something other than a "Sorry Sucker".

Yes, they all do it and yes, changing business conditions warrant changes to the service, but the very least that AT&T should do is make service contracts conditional on channels not being deleted. If I subscribe to a channel and sign a contract and the channel disappears, I should have 30 days to reevaluate my relationship with AT&T.

Re: To all TVG Horse racing fans!

31 of 109 (2,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2013 6:13:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

marcindublin wrote:

All television providers have the right to add or delete channels (end carriage agreements at the end of the contract.). If you think otherwise, you are very naive.

If you had read earlier posts on this thread, you would have seen the clause in Section 8 of the AT&T U-Verse Terms of Service entitled  "INTERRUPTIONS, LIMITATIONS, AND MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE."

http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp?source=EC00uv000000001UL&wtExtndSource=uv_ftr_to...

This clause states:
"AT&T also reserves the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, at any time and from time to time, the Services (or any function or feature of the Services or any part thereof) without liability. "

Were you promised that TVG would always be part of the U-Verse lineup? I do not think so. Therefore, there was no bait and switch.

I hope you are not a One Post One and Done poster, and will reply to my post.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

marcindublin wrote:

All television providers have the right to add or delete channels (end carriage agreements at the end of the contract.). If you think otherwise, you are very naive.

If you had read earlier posts on this thread, you would have seen the clause in Section 8 of the AT&T U-Verse Terms of Service entitled  "INTERRUPTIONS, LIMITATIONS, AND MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE."

http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp?source=EC00uv000000001UL&wtExtndSource=uv_ftr_tos

This clause states:
"AT&T also reserves the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, at any time and from time to time, the Services (or any function or feature of the Services or any part thereof) without liability. "

Were you promised that TVG would always be part of the U-Verse lineup? I do not think so. Therefore, there was no bait and switch.

I hope you are not a One Post One and Done poster, and will reply to my post.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 109 (2,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2013 9:34:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm not saying AT&T doesn't have the legal right to terminate a channel. In fact, it has to be that way or content providers would abuse the system even more than they are doing now. I am saying that AT&T shouldn't be able to mess with the service with no consequence. It's really not all that hard a concept. I don't care about TVG. In fact, I never heard of TVG before this thread. That's not the point. Suppose it was ESPN or, as happened with Time Warner, CBS or some other channel that people really cared about. Without a contract, you could terminate service and subscribe to a service that met your needs. In the era of the 2 year contract, you are screwed.

To sum up, AT*T shouldn't be able to sign you to a 2 year contract on Monday, terminate channels you care about a month from Tuesday and have you stuck with a useless (to you)  service for 23 months. You wouldn't tolerate this with any other product or service, why tolerate it with a TV service?

I'm not saying AT&T doesn't have the legal right to terminate a channel. In fact, it has to be that way or content providers would abuse the system even more than they are doing now. I am saying that AT&T shouldn't be able to mess with the service with no consequence. It's really not all that hard a concept. I don't care about TVG. In fact, I never heard of TVG before this thread. That's not the point. Suppose it was ESPN or, as happened with Time Warner, CBS or some other channel that people really cared about. Without a contract, you could terminate service and subscribe to a service that met your needs. In the era of the 2 year contract, you are screwed.

To sum up, AT*T shouldn't be able to sign you to a 2 year contract on Monday, terminate channels you care about a month from Tuesday and have you stuck with a useless (to you)  service for 23 months. You wouldn't tolerate this with any other product or service, why tolerate it with a TV service?

33 of 109 (2,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2013 10:03:28 PM
(0)
Employee
First you do not have to take a contract, you may sign up for services on a month to month with no free installation (charged $149), no discounts, AND no $180 termination fee.

ATT offers a discount both bundled (double or triple play) or single play with free or reduced installation charges in exchange for a long term commitment. Your acceptance means if things change and you want to walk away, you can just pay the termination fee and return any leased equipment, or decline the per month savings (example $51 per month is $612 yearly plus $149 install fee for $761) that you could pay to walk at any time without $180 cancel fee.
First you do not have to take a contract, you may sign up for services on a month to month with no free installation (charged $149), no discounts, AND no $180 termination fee.

ATT offers a discount both bundled (double or triple play) or single play with free or reduced installation charges in exchange for a long term commitment. Your acceptance means if things change and you want to walk away, you can just pay the termination fee and return any leased equipment, or decline the per month savings (example $51 per month is $612 yearly plus $149 install fee for $761) that you could pay to walk at any time without $180 cancel fee.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

34 of 109 (2,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 4:02:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

I don't know how many times it has to be said, IT IS NOT BAIT AND SWITCH.  For the love of God, negotiations between providers and networks happen every day.  The majority end up with channels being added or staying. Sometimes though, a network wants more money than a provider is willing to pay for.  It's a business decision.  The provider will weigh the potential for loss of customers and determine if it's worth it.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

marcindublin wrote:

I don't know how many times it has to be said, IT IS NOT BAIT AND SWITCH.  For the love of God, negotiations between providers and networks happen every day.  The majority end up with channels being added or staying. Sometimes though, a network wants more money than a provider is willing to pay for.  It's a business decision.  The provider will weigh the potential for loss of customers and determine if it's worth it.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

35 of 109 (2,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 6:29:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by americangame on Dec 2, 2013 at 6:30:45 AM

Hi, I'm Americangame. You may have seen me in threads such as "Where is the Hallmark Channel?" and "How do I change my NAT settings?" Today I'm here to talk about what a bait and switch really is.

Now you may be telling yourself, "TVG is missing from the channel lineup and I was one of the 12 people who watched horse racing at home for some reason. AT&T U-Verse got rid of it and I'm angry. That makes this situation a bait and switch!" 

Now hold on there little jockey, this isn't a bait and switch situation. Let me provide you an example of what a bait and switch scenario actually is.

Let's say you see an ad for a wonderful new Kitchenaid stand mixer that your lovely wife has been begging for the last few weeks in the Sunday paper being sold for $100 at your local mom and pop shop. This is what we call the "bait" in this scenario.

Now you're the first person to arrive at the store that day and you notice that the advertised stand mixer is nowhere to be found. You begin talking with a salesman about the location and status of the stand mixer and he decides to try and sell you another more expensive model that you have no desire to purchase. That maneuver by the salesman is what we like to call the "switch."

Now hold on a moment how is the TVG network leaving AT&T U-verse not a bait and switch? Well notice how when you signed up for the service, the TVG Network was there. No baiting happened. You actually got the channel.

"But now they've taken it away so that's the bait!" Sorry but you're wrong. In order for them to be baiting, they would have to continue advertising that they offer the channel. I'm willing to put my neck out there and say that there isn't any promotional paper out there that has TVG as one of the channels they're advertising. 

Now remember in order for it to be a "bait and switch" there is a second part of the equation that has to be offered: the switch. When AT&T removed U-Verse from the lineup, they didn't say "Well we don't have TVG anymore but if you want to watch horse racing like TVG you must buy our bigger package and you can watch HRTV." 

Well that's all the time I have for today, tune in next week when I'll pop up in the thread,"Yes AT&T still doesn't have the Hallmark Channel. Stop asking about The NHL Network too."

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Hi, I'm Americangame. You may have seen me in threads such as "Where is the Hallmark Channel?" and "How do I change my NAT settings?" Today I'm here to talk about what a bait and switch really is.

Now you may be telling yourself, "TVG is missing from the channel lineup and I was one of the 12 people who watched horse racing at home for some reason. AT&T U-Verse got rid of it and I'm angry. That makes this situation a bait and switch!" 

Now hold on there little jockey, this isn't a bait and switch situation. Let me provide you an example of what a bait and switch scenario actually is.

Let's say you see an ad for a wonderful new Kitchenaid stand mixer that your lovely wife has been begging for the last few weeks in the Sunday paper being sold for $100 at your local mom and pop shop. This is what we call the "bait" in this scenario.

Now you're the first person to arrive at the store that day and you notice that the advertised stand mixer is nowhere to be found. You begin talking with a salesman about the location and status of the stand mixer and he decides to try and sell you another more expensive model that you have no desire to purchase. That maneuver by the salesman is what we like to call the "switch."

Now hold on a moment how is the TVG network leaving AT&T U-verse not a bait and switch? Well notice how when you signed up for the service, the TVG Network was there. No baiting happened. You actually got the channel.

"But now they've taken it away so that's the bait!" Sorry but you're wrong. In order for them to be baiting, they would have to continue advertising that they offer the channel. I'm willing to put my neck out there and say that there isn't any promotional paper out there that has TVG as one of the channels they're advertising. 

Now remember in order for it to be a "bait and switch" there is a second part of the equation that has to be offered: the switch. When AT&T removed U-Verse from the lineup, they didn't say "Well we don't have TVG anymore but if you want to watch horse racing like TVG you must buy our bigger package and you can watch HRTV." 

Well that's all the time I have for today, tune in next week when I'll pop up in the thread,"Yes AT&T still doesn't have the Hallmark Channel. Stop asking about The NHL Network too."

-------

[ Edited ]
36 of 109 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 6:46:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

37 of 109 (2,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 6:54:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Because AT&T is a mean company who does NOT care about its customers.  I switched to Uverse from DirecTV because it offered both TVG and HRTV.  But TVG is much better.  I lost some other good channels when I switched too.  AT&T has given me bad service before and they have done it again.  This company only survives because it is so old and so big.  BTW, whatever you do, NEVER, NEVER, EVER get AT&T cellphone service.  Go with Verizon.  I have a plan to totally dump AT&T and once I do it will be permanent.

Because AT&T is a mean company who does NOT care about its customers.  I switched to Uverse from DirecTV because it offered both TVG and HRTV.  But TVG is much better.  I lost some other good channels when I switched too.  AT&T has given me bad service before and they have done it again.  This company only survives because it is so old and so big.  BTW, whatever you do, NEVER, NEVER, EVER get AT&T cellphone service.  Go with Verizon.  I have a plan to totally dump AT&T and once I do it will be permanent.

Re: Why did AT&T Uverse drop TVG Network?

38 of 109 (2,147 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 6:57:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

skilcoyne wrote:

Hmmmm.....well, we've had ATT cell service forever....switched to Uverse from Comcast over 7 years ago and VOIP phone when it was offered.

But thanks for the advice.  *rollseyes*

skilcoyne wrote:

Hmmmm.....well, we've had ATT cell service forever....switched to Uverse from Comcast over 7 years ago and VOIP phone when it was offered.

But thanks for the advice.  *rollseyes*

39 of 109 (2,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 7:07:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Commenters from TVG's Facebook page mentions that HRTV must have had something to do with the removal.  They also mention that "desperate folks do desperate things," meaning HRTV is a distant second tpo TVG.  I have no opinion but back in the 80's, Jones Cable worked out a deal with upstart HSN and kicked QVC off its lineup for a while.  There were LOTS of testy folks for the few months that QVC was gone.

Commenters from TVG's Facebook page mentions that HRTV must have had something to do with the removal.  They also mention that "desperate folks do desperate things," meaning HRTV is a distant second tpo TVG.  I have no opinion but back in the 80's, Jones Cable worked out a deal with upstart HSN and kicked QVC off its lineup for a while.  There were LOTS of testy folks for the few months that QVC was gone.

40 of 109 (2,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 10:10:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

Ironically, TVG still appears in the online channel guide for Uverse. Thanks to Americangame for strengthening the rather obvious point I was trying to make. Even if this were not the case, however, the argument that so long at AT&T offered the channel on the DAY you signed up, they fufilled the implied obligation is silly. What is the poor consumer to do. There is obviously an implied commitment that the channel selection will remain stable. If this were not the case, y'all wouldn't be telling consumers to do their homework prior to signing up because doing your homework would be impossible.

Ironically, TVG still appears in the online channel guide for Uverse. Thanks to Americangame for strengthening the rather obvious point I was trying to make. Even if this were not the case, however, the argument that so long at AT&T offered the channel on the DAY you signed up, they fufilled the implied obligation is silly. What is the poor consumer to do. There is obviously an implied commitment that the channel selection will remain stable. If this were not the case, y'all wouldn't be telling consumers to do their homework prior to signing up because doing your homework would be impossible.

41 of 109 (2,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 11:00:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin - Other than Comcast all providers have lost channels.  Are you following Wendy's Hamburger saga on discontinuing the Pretzel Bun?  Similar but not an exact analogy.

marcindublin - Other than Comcast all providers have lost channels.  Are you following Wendy's Hamburger saga on discontinuing the Pretzel Bun?  Similar but not an exact analogy.

42 of 109 (2,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 11:24:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

In my opinion, the only people who religiously watch horse racing on TV are horse race owners that can't be at the track or people with a gambling problem.

-------

In my opinion, the only people who religiously watch horse racing on TV are horse race owners that can't be at the track or people with a gambling problem.

-------

43 of 109 (2,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 11:49:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

No provider GUARANTEES ANY CHANNEL!  All providers go through contract negotiations, most work, some don't and a channel may be removed temporarily (See Food Network, HGTV, DIY Network) or on a more permanent basis (NHL and Hallmark).  AT&T isn't the only provider that has dropped channels over contract disputes. Look it up. 

marcindublin wrote:

No provider GUARANTEES ANY CHANNEL!  All providers go through contract negotiations, most work, some don't and a channel may be removed temporarily (See Food Network, HGTV, DIY Network) or on a more permanent basis (NHL and Hallmark).  AT&T isn't the only provider that has dropped channels over contract disputes. Look it up. 

44 of 109 (2,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 2:23:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

I take exception to what the one poster said about the only people watching TVG "Were horse owners who couldn't be at the track or problem gamblers".  I have in the past been an owner, but haven't had a stake in any in about 10 years.  Nor am I or my wife "problem gramblers".  We love the sport, and yes, it is a sport.  Having bith TVG and HRTV was one of the selling points to move to UV from DTV when we did about 5 years ago.  UV dropping TVG is just another reason why this sport has dropped in recent years.  Again, I am upset by the lost channel, but I am also still upset by UV not getting MLB EI and not having GoalLine this past football season.  But it will not stop me from being a customer.  I love the service and have never had an issue with anything.  But I guess my wife and I would make #'s 7 & 8 in counting those that are upset about this.  But believe me, there are bigger things in this World to get upset about.

I take exception to what the one poster said about the only people watching TVG "Were horse owners who couldn't be at the track or problem gamblers".  I have in the past been an owner, but haven't had a stake in any in about 10 years.  Nor am I or my wife "problem gramblers".  We love the sport, and yes, it is a sport.  Having bith TVG and HRTV was one of the selling points to move to UV from DTV when we did about 5 years ago.  UV dropping TVG is just another reason why this sport has dropped in recent years.  Again, I am upset by the lost channel, but I am also still upset by UV not getting MLB EI and not having GoalLine this past football season.  But it will not stop me from being a customer.  I love the service and have never had an issue with anything.  But I guess my wife and I would make #'s 7 & 8 in counting those that are upset about this.  But believe me, there are bigger things in this World to get upset about.

45 of 109 (2,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 2:57:37 PM
(0)
Guru

marcindublin wrote:

I think you are misinterpreting the oft-given advice to check the lineup before beginning service (with ANY provider).  Such advice does NOT suggest that the channel lineup will be stable.  It just means that  any potential subscriber would know if any channels are absent at that time that would be a deal-breaker before making the deal.  The absence of a channel does not mean that it cannot be added later; the presence of a channel does not mean that it cannot be removed later.  It is simply a snapshot of what is offered at the time.  All providers experience channel changes, and none can guarantee the stability of their offerings for any set time frame.  The TOS clearly allows for possible modifications of service and there is no bait and switch.  Things change.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

marcindublin wrote:

I think you are misinterpreting the oft-given advice to check the lineup before beginning service (with ANY provider).  Such advice does NOT suggest that the channel lineup will be stable.  It just means that  any potential subscriber would know if any channels are absent at that time that would be a deal-breaker before making the deal.  The absence of a channel does not mean that it cannot be added later; the presence of a channel does not mean that it cannot be removed later.  It is simply a snapshot of what is offered at the time.  All providers experience channel changes, and none can guarantee the stability of their offerings for any set time frame.  The TOS clearly allows for possible modifications of service and there is no bait and switch.  Things change.

46 of 109 (2,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 3:41:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

From the link below:

AT&T U-Verse has ceased carriage of TVG, the horseracing channel, according to a company spokesman.

TVG was one of the first national networks dedicated solely to horse racing, providing live feeds from several tracks around in the U.S.,  and allowing viewers with betting accounts to gamble on races via the phone or online.

“Despite our good faith efforts to negotiate and reach an agreement to renew, and to fully resolve an outstanding compliance issue, we were not able to reach mutually beneficial terms and no longer have the rights to carry the content,” AT&T executive director of media relations Mark Siegel said in a statement.

TVG was available on channel 670 as part of its U450 Package, the company said.

U-Verse continues to carry TVG rival HRTV on channel 672. HRTV, a joint venture between leading horse racetrack operators The Stronach Group (Santa Anita Park, Pimlico Race Course and Gulfstream Park) and Churchill Downs Inc., is available in about 19 million homes across the country. 

TVG was formed in 1999 and was purchased in 2009 by United Kingdom betting concern Betfair for about $50.7 million. At the time, TVG was available in about 30 million homes. TVG did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

http://www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/u-verse-scratches-tvg-horse-racing-network/146971

From the link below:

AT&T U-Verse has ceased carriage of TVG, the horseracing channel, according to a company spokesman.

TVG was one of the first national networks dedicated solely to horse racing, providing live feeds from several tracks around in the U.S.,  and allowing viewers with betting accounts to gamble on races via the phone or online.

“Despite our good faith efforts to negotiate and reach an agreement to renew, and to fully resolve an outstanding compliance issue, we were not able to reach mutually beneficial terms and no longer have the rights to carry the content,” AT&T executive director of media relations Mark Siegel said in a statement.

TVG was available on channel 670 as part of its U450 Package, the company said.

U-Verse continues to carry TVG rival HRTV on channel 672. HRTV, a joint venture between leading horse racetrack operators The Stronach Group (Santa Anita Park, Pimlico Race Course and Gulfstream Park) and Churchill Downs Inc., is available in about 19 million homes across the country. 

TVG was formed in 1999 and was purchased in 2009 by United Kingdom betting concern Betfair for about $50.7 million. At the time, TVG was available in about 30 million homes. TVG did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

http://www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/u-verse-scratches-tvg-horse-racing-network/146971

47 of 109 (2,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 6:27:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

U-Verse continues to carry TVG rival HRTV......  Draw what you want or will, from that.  I know, I am.  Smiley Surprised

U-Verse continues to carry TVG rival HRTV......  Draw what you want or will, from that.  I know, I am.  Smiley Surprised

48 of 109 (1,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 8:42:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
mythoughts wrote: First you do not have to take a contract, you may sign up for services on a month to month with no free installation (charged $149), no discounts, AND no $180 termination fee. ATT offers a discount both bundled (double or triple play) or single play with free or reduced installation charges in exchange for a long term commitment. Your acceptance means if things change and you want to walk away, you can just pay the termination fee and return any leased equipment, or decline the per month savings (example $51 per month is $612 yearly plus $149 install fee for $761) that you could pay to walk at any time without $180 cancel fee. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Granted, this was a few years ago, but I got a new customer offer without a contract. Let's say if you want a promo, you're forced to sign a contract. what if you signed up for AT&T without a contract, waited a month or so and then called the retentions or sales/billing department and asked for a promo. This way, you wouldn't have the termination fee, but you'd also save money. Another thing people don't think of is that when the providers offer discounted bills to new customers, they're essentially offering to pay any termination fees. -- Sure, AT&T charges a $180 termination fee, but Time Warner offers a $150 or $300 or whatever it is Visa gift card. I'm sure other providers have their own similar offers for new customers.
mythoughts wrote: First you do not have to take a contract, you may sign up for services on a month to month with no free installation (charged $149), no discounts, AND no $180 termination fee. ATT offers a discount both bundled (double or triple play) or single play with free or reduced installation charges in exchange for a long term commitment. Your acceptance means if things change and you want to walk away, you can just pay the termination fee and return any leased equipment, or decline the per month savings (example $51 per month is $612 yearly plus $149 install fee for $761) that you could pay to walk at any time without $180 cancel fee. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Granted, this was a few years ago, but I got a new customer offer without a contract. Let's say if you want a promo, you're forced to sign a contract. what if you signed up for AT&T without a contract, waited a month or so and then called the retentions or sales/billing department and asked for a promo. This way, you wouldn't have the termination fee, but you'd also save money. Another thing people don't think of is that when the providers offer discounted bills to new customers, they're essentially offering to pay any termination fees. -- Sure, AT&T charges a $180 termination fee, but Time Warner offers a $150 or $300 or whatever it is Visa gift card. I'm sure other providers have their own similar offers for new customers.

49 of 109 (1,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 2:37:46 PM
(0)
Guru

Its more like TVG got way to greedy just like Hallmark Networks.  

Its more like TVG got way to greedy just like Hallmark Networks.  

Frankie Say... You Can find me North http://7vmy.sl.pt South http://7vn0.sl.pt East http://7vn2.sl.pt and West http://7vn3.sl.pt Soulseek ID 80newwave

50 of 109 (1,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 4:10:28 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by JSava on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:22:02 PM

Today, I cut my bill in 1/2.  I dropped to the 200 package and dropped all premiums AND my sports package, which was required in order to receive TVG.  Now that I am down to basics, I plan to shop around for a service which includes TVG.  I am a horse owner and work with others in the industry.  I'm not sure if they care, but dropping TVG resulted in me not only dropping the sports package, but all premiums and the max package, and ultimately my service in its entirety.  I have been a uverse customer for 8 years.

Lately, I seem to be fighting daily with "replay command is not available. Too many tvs in your home are either watching or recording live TV."   AND "This channel has jumped to live TV to allow TV viewing or recording on the DVR receiver."  None of this is true.

I've had service people out here several times over the last few months.  When I sent a text to the last tech a day after he was here about the issues above, he told me to call uverse and have them send me another DVR.  I didn't.  I decided I was moving on anyway.  Why didn't my service guy deal with it?  Why do I have to call again?  Well, the TVG dropping was the final straw.  We are suppose to get 4 HD signals at one time.  That can be recording or live HD.  We constantly get error messages often when only one TV is being used.  We've called on this multiple times.  Happens all the time when we are using less than the 4 HD signals.  And usually it is when we are using just 2.

I don't know if better options are out there.  But ATT just does not care.  I never got over issues several years back when our service was in and out for months.  Almost daily.  They had 20 people at my house over several months.  Leaving work to meet, shows and sports being interrupted countless times, once they finally got it worked out, they offered me 20.00 credit.  I probably spent 50.00 in gas coming home to meet them.   We argued and argued.  They forgot about that, but I never will.

So, I hate to go, but I have been driven away by a company that is too big to care.

Today, I cut my bill in 1/2.  I dropped to the 200 package and dropped all premiums AND my sports package, which was required in order to receive TVG.  Now that I am down to basics, I plan to shop around for a service which includes TVG.  I am a horse owner and work with others in the industry.  I'm not sure if they care, but dropping TVG resulted in me not only dropping the sports package, but all premiums and the max package, and ultimately my service in its entirety.  I have been a uverse customer for 8 years.

Lately, I seem to be fighting daily with "replay command is not available. Too many tvs in your home are either watching or recording live TV."   AND "This channel has jumped to live TV to allow TV viewing or recording on the DVR receiver."  None of this is true.

I've had service people out here several times over the last few months.  When I sent a text to the last tech a day after he was here about the issues above, he told me to call uverse and have them send me another DVR.  I didn't.  I decided I was moving on anyway.  Why didn't my service guy deal with it?  Why do I have to call again?  Well, the TVG dropping was the final straw.  We are suppose to get 4 HD signals at one time.  That can be recording or live HD.  We constantly get error messages often when only one TV is being used.  We've called on this multiple times.  Happens all the time when we are using less than the 4 HD signals.  And usually it is when we are using just 2.

I don't know if better options are out there.  But ATT just does not care.  I never got over issues several years back when our service was in and out for months.  Almost daily.  They had 20 people at my house over several months.  Leaving work to meet, shows and sports being interrupted countless times, once they finally got it worked out, they offered me 20.00 credit.  I probably spent 50.00 in gas coming home to meet them.   We argued and argued.  They forgot about that, but I never will.

So, I hate to go, but I have been driven away by a company that is too big to care.

TVG Gone ... I'm right behind them!

[ Edited ]
51 of 109 (1,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 5:48:28 PM
(0)
Employee
Sorry to hear of your ongoing issues, this post is only to address the text sent to last service tech who visited you, "why didn't my service guy deal with it?"

The tech is responsible for 30 days from time of visit, if another tech is dispatched within 30 days the original tech gets a repeat. To save the customer some techs (all should be)provide a way to contact directly either and/or by leaving their work cell number (my perferred choice) or email. The tech, with a manger knowledge (gps on truck) can revisit for follow up, but cannot exchange (inventory) item such s a DVR. That requires either a work order to dispatch a tech, or request for direct ship which tech informed you to do.

If sure that dvr recordings are not scheduled at time of watching living tv, recommend factory resetting both RG and DVR (lose all recordings), to see if problem persist before replacing DVR which also results in losing all recordings.
Sorry to hear of your ongoing issues, this post is only to address the text sent to last service tech who visited you, "why didn't my service guy deal with it?"

The tech is responsible for 30 days from time of visit, if another tech is dispatched within 30 days the original tech gets a repeat. To save the customer some techs (all should be)provide a way to contact directly either and/or by leaving their work cell number (my perferred choice) or email. The tech, with a manger knowledge (gps on truck) can revisit for follow up, but cannot exchange (inventory) item such s a DVR. That requires either a work order to dispatch a tech, or request for direct ship which tech informed you to do.

If sure that dvr recordings are not scheduled at time of watching living tv, recommend factory resetting both RG and DVR (lose all recordings), to see if problem persist before replacing DVR which also results in losing all recordings.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: TVG Gone ... I'm right behind them!

52 of 109 (1,902 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 8:20:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm dissapointed too that TVG was dropped.  May I ask what subscriber you decided to go with that does offer TVG?

I'm dissapointed too that TVG was dropped.  May I ask what subscriber you decided to go with that does offer TVG?

53 of 109 (1,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 8:28:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

I checked out HRTV but unfortunately for me the hosts are just not as informative and exciting as TVG for good horseracing feedback.  Even the view and coloring of the shows are dull and faded.  I guess I'll have to move on....

I checked out HRTV but unfortunately for me the hosts are just not as informative and exciting as TVG for good horseracing feedback.  Even the view and coloring of the shows are dull and faded.  I guess I'll have to move on....

54 of 109 (1,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 8:35:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Suewill999 wrote:

Instead of asking the original poster which television provider he is planning to switch to, I would do the homework yourself to see which providers in your area offer TVG. Some of the providers in his area may not be in your area., and that may be the very one he is switching to.

If you do the research yourself, then you have only yourself to blame if your new provider does not have TVG.

I would hope the moderators would combine this thread with the other TVG thread to make things more streamline.

Suewill999 wrote:

Instead of asking the original poster which television provider he is planning to switch to, I would do the homework yourself to see which providers in your area offer TVG. Some of the providers in his area may not be in your area., and that may be the very one he is switching to.

If you do the research yourself, then you have only yourself to blame if your new provider does not have TVG.

I would hope the moderators would combine this thread with the other TVG thread to make things more streamline.

55 of 109 (1,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 8:45:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:29:04 AM

Suewill999 wrote:

Thanks for stopping by to say goodbye.

I have watched both TVG and HRTV in the past, and this thought came to mind in regards to those posters who claim they are horse owners who wanted to watch their horses race on TVG.

As far as I know there is no schedule that exists that shows which races and their times that are to be run on TVG or HRTV. The programming seems to be random races. How do these so-called owners know that the race their horses will be running in will actually show on TVG or HRTV?

I have been to the race track several times in the past, and the televisions there have an individual channel for each racetrack. They do no show TVG and HRTV which show random races from multiple tracks.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Suewill999 wrote:

Thanks for stopping by to say goodbye.

I have watched both TVG and HRTV in the past, and this thought came to mind in regards to those posters who claim they are horse owners who wanted to watch their horses race on TVG.

As far as I know there is no schedule that exists that shows which races and their times that are to be run on TVG or HRTV. The programming seems to be random races. How do these so-called owners know that the race their horses will be running in will actually show on TVG or HRTV?

I have been to the race track several times in the past, and the televisions there have an individual channel for each racetrack. They do no show TVG and HRTV which show random races from multiple tracks.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

[ Edited ]
56 of 109 (1,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 6:33:50 AM
(0)
Voyager

The ONLY reason I am a current U-verse/at&t subscriber is because they carried the TVG network.I left a cable company I was very happy with so I could watch TVG.  I pay premium for the 450 service so I could enjoy this network. Imagine my surprise when the programming was stopped over the Thanksgiving weekend.

I contacted TVG customer relations and they told me they do not charge at&t for airing their network but at&t decided not to carry them anymore.  Jeez. I can watch the same movie on 6 HBO channels at the same time but I can't watch a free to them network anymore.

Unfortunately for me I had to renew my contract with at&t October 23rd so barring paying a $180.00 penalty I am stuck with their system for 11 more months.

The ONLY reason I am a current U-verse/at&t subscriber is because they carried the TVG network.I left a cable company I was very happy with so I could watch TVG.  I pay premium for the 450 service so I could enjoy this network. Imagine my surprise when the programming was stopped over the Thanksgiving weekend.

I contacted TVG customer relations and they told me they do not charge at&t for airing their network but at&t decided not to carry them anymore.  Jeez. I can watch the same movie on 6 HBO channels at the same time but I can't watch a free to them network anymore.

Unfortunately for me I had to renew my contract with at&t October 23rd so barring paying a $180.00 penalty I am stuck with their system for 11 more months.

U-Verse drops TVG coverage

57 of 109 (1,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:04:35 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by TrishMc on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:38:15 AM

[ Edited ]
58 of 109 (1,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:10:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

TrishMc wrote:

TVG customer relations told me that they do not charge at&t to air TVG network.

I find that extremely hard to believe.  Maybe TVG customer relations are every bit as good as AT&T's level one telephone support ops.

TrishMc wrote:

TVG customer relations told me that they do not charge at&t to air TVG network.

I find that extremely hard to believe.  Maybe TVG customer relations are every bit as good as AT&T's level one telephone support ops.

59 of 109 (1,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:46:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If TVG didn't charge AT&T the the channel would be avaliable on any basic network level. Instead it's a part of the sports package, which implies to me that it was charging a high rate to AT&T.

-------

If TVG didn't charge AT&T the the channel would be avaliable on any basic network level. Instead it's a part of the sports package, which implies to me that it was charging a high rate to AT&T.

-------

60 of 109 (2,219 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments