Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 16, 2013
11:27:45 PM
Why can't I connect to u-verse internet on Windows XP Dell Computer

just had u-verse 2Wire modem installed today, replaced our old DSL modem. Our Laptop (wireless) w Windows 8 operating system connects to U-verse internet & email without any problems, but our Dell desktop (wired)  w Windows XP shows "connected" in task bar, but errors out when trying to connect to the internet or email -- the Desktop (wired) had no problems with internet or email connectivity prior to replacing DSL with u-verse.

I called tech team and spent over an hour. was told "this is a known issue" with XP operating systems. You will need to upgrade to Microsoft 7 or 8 to resolve the problem."

That just sounds wrong -- like, someone should have asked about our operating system before we purchased u-verse if the type of operating system prevents us from the very internet and email accessibility we purchased ... why would I want a system that reduces my desktop to a glorified word processor and photo viewer?  I am computer-tech-terminology challenged, so if you provide a reply, please put it in terms that might be included in a "U-verse Internet Connectivity for Dummies" manual.   Thanks.

just had u-verse 2Wire modem installed today, replaced our old DSL modem. Our Laptop (wireless) w Windows 8 operating system connects to U-verse internet & email without any problems, but our Dell desktop (wired)  w Windows XP shows "connected" in task bar, but errors out when trying to connect to the internet or email -- the Desktop (wired) had no problems with internet or email connectivity prior to replacing DSL with u-verse.

I called tech team and spent over an hour. was told "this is a known issue" with XP operating systems. You will need to upgrade to Microsoft 7 or 8 to resolve the problem."

That just sounds wrong -- like, someone should have asked about our operating system before we purchased u-verse if the type of operating system prevents us from the very internet and email accessibility we purchased ... why would I want a system that reduces my desktop to a glorified word processor and photo viewer?  I am computer-tech-terminology challenged, so if you provide a reply, please put it in terms that might be included in a "U-verse Internet Connectivity for Dummies" manual.   Thanks.

Why can't I connect to u-verse internet on Windows XP Dell Computer

8 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 6:52:12 AM
(0)
Employee

valerie2352,

I'm sorry we're having issues with this PC connecting online. I'd be lgad to help with it, and I'd like to contact you directly. I've sent you a private message, which you can see by clicking on the orange number next to your name in the upper right - you'll should also get an email from this message to your registered email address which you can simply reply to.

valerie2352,

I'm sorry we're having issues with this PC connecting online. I'd be lgad to help with it, and I'd like to contact you directly. I've sent you a private message, which you can see by clicking on the orange number next to your name in the upper right - you'll should also get an email from this message to your registered email address which you can simply reply to.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Why can't I connect to u-verse internet on Windows XP Dell Computer

2 of 9 (7,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 10:35:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

I called the U-verse support line this past weekend and the rep assisted me in a couple of tests relating to the ipconfig on my Dell desktop. With the rep's help, we discovered that my desktop was simply not set for automatic detection of the default gateway address -- i.e. could not connect to internet explorer or email because desktop's default gateway address was incorrect.

As soon as I was guided through steps to detect the proper settings automatically, we verified that the default gateway was configured correctly and internet & email were immediately restored on the desktop.
I'm really glad I called again. The second call definitely resolved the problem and I'm fully operational on laptop and desktop now. Thank you for offering technical help

I called the U-verse support line this past weekend and the rep assisted me in a couple of tests relating to the ipconfig on my Dell desktop. With the rep's help, we discovered that my desktop was simply not set for automatic detection of the default gateway address -- i.e. could not connect to internet explorer or email because desktop's default gateway address was incorrect.

As soon as I was guided through steps to detect the proper settings automatically, we verified that the default gateway was configured correctly and internet & email were immediately restored on the desktop.
I'm really glad I called again. The second call definitely resolved the problem and I'm fully operational on laptop and desktop now. Thank you for offering technical help

3 of 9 (7,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 8:11:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

I can't connect my wired Dell Windows XP to my new AT&T Uverse modem. My wireless IPad is connected, though. After more than an hour and a half with AT&T Tech support she said she couldn't do anything more, and that they (you) have trouble with Dell.nCan you help?

I can't connect my wired Dell Windows XP to my new AT&T Uverse modem. My wireless IPad is connected, though. After more than an hour and a half with AT&T Tech support she said she couldn't do anything more, and that they (you) have trouble with Dell.nCan you help?

4 of 9 (7,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 8:25:28 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by GVDW on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:26:32 AM

Hi,

Similar problem I lost my hard drive last fall, installed new hard drive, reloaded Win XP and tried to connect, my modem (wired ethernet)  says I'm connected but Windows IE says it "cannot find server".  Called Uverse support, agent tried a couple of things and said I had to contact a different department that would charge me for help.  Google searches point to a simple fix, but I'm not finding it.  Anyone help with this?  Puzzling since this computer connected just fine before the HD failed, new hard drive and new software reload and I'm stuck.  Win 8 and all wireless devices are working fine.  Just XP that isn't responding- modem fine but can't find a server.  Computer is a generic, 2008 build.  Any suggestions?

Hi,

Similar problem I lost my hard drive last fall, installed new hard drive, reloaded Win XP and tried to connect, my modem (wired ethernet)  says I'm connected but Windows IE says it "cannot find server".  Called Uverse support, agent tried a couple of things and said I had to contact a different department that would charge me for help.  Google searches point to a simple fix, but I'm not finding it.  Anyone help with this?  Puzzling since this computer connected just fine before the HD failed, new hard drive and new software reload and I'm stuck.  Win 8 and all wireless devices are working fine.  Just XP that isn't responding- modem fine but can't find a server.  Computer is a generic, 2008 build.  Any suggestions?

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (5,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 10:40:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As a previous poster indicated, your PC may not be making the DHCP request to obain an IP address and some other necessary properties.

Here is a good step by step:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~help/networking/dhcp_info/dhcp_xp.html

As a previous poster indicated, your PC may not be making the DHCP request to obain an IP address and some other necessary properties.

Here is a good step by step:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~help/networking/dhcp_info/dhcp_xp.html

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (5,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 6:56:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

I did what your link described, the links were not present so I entered them and followed the procedure listed there.  No change except this time, there was a green status box at the bottom of the screen that appeared, filled with green indicators quickly and disappeared- same message- Page cannot be displayed, Cannot find server.  

I did what your link described, the links were not present so I entered them and followed the procedure listed there.  No change except this time, there was a green status box at the bottom of the screen that appeared, filled with green indicators quickly and disappeared- same message- Page cannot be displayed, Cannot find server.  

7 of 9 (5,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 6:26:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I should have made it clearer:  That web page is for a college, and those domain names are specific to them.  I was mainly interested in making sure that the obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server automatically were checked.  You can remove those domains by clicking on each one and clicking Remove.

I'm sure you're aware that Windows XP falls off the end of the map for Microsoft Support next month, which means no more security release for it.

I should have made it clearer:  That web page is for a college, and those domain names are specific to them.  I was mainly interested in making sure that the obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server automatically were checked.  You can remove those domains by clicking on each one and clicking Remove.

I'm sure you're aware that Windows XP falls off the end of the map for Microsoft Support next month, which means no more security release for it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 9 (5,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 4:53:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

I did an online chat with Microsoft, he asked me to try to access internet from Safe Mode.  Once it booted, I couldn't find the LAN icon.  Decided to reload the motherboard driver disc, as soon as that was done, the computer asked if I wanted to update everything, logged right on.  I guess when my HD stopped working, it must have screwed up a few drivers, a few other things are working better also. It's all good here now.  Thanks for your patience with me.  GVDW

I did an online chat with Microsoft, he asked me to try to access internet from Safe Mode.  Once it booted, I couldn't find the LAN icon.  Decided to reload the motherboard driver disc, as soon as that was done, the computer asked if I wanted to update everything, logged right on.  I guess when my HD stopped working, it must have screwed up a few drivers, a few other things are working better also. It's all good here now.  Thanks for your patience with me.  GVDW

9 of 9 (5,743 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments