Posted Mar 8, 2013
12:01:33 PM
Why are loyal customers charged more than new customers, plus face fee increases?

(March 8, 2013, in AUSTIN, TX) I was among the 1st residential customer to join ATT Uverse (TV & Internet) when it came to my area in 2009. Up until 6-months ago, I was a regular advocate for ATT Uverse; however ATT's TV & Internet Service has been spotty, and often loses connectivity with content. This month, unfortunately, I have been disappointed to discover that the FREE, 3-month promotional, HBO service isn't free. Without any disclosure, I've discovered a $5 "change fee" applies if I terminate this FREE HBO promo. Also, my bill now includes a $1.99/mo ACCESS FEE, which ATT now charges to view my local stations. Moreover, ATT increased the ELITE Internet service by $3/month, and has implemented a $2/mo fee for its proprietary GATEWAY that had been FREE for 5 years. SO...that's a $12 bonus for ATT, with no increase in product, content and services. (Unless, of course, I decide I MUST have an iPhone app to turn my phone into a Uverse remote.) Just a couple of days ago, ATT Customer Service Rep Daniel in El Paso, informed me that I indeed had been given notice of these changes, and theses charges--the cost of doing business--are being passed onto ATT customers. Not surprisingly, Daniel had to search for 10 minutes to locate each of the respective e-Notices that are posted separately from the e-bill, for which I trustingly signed up ("to save trees"). He could NOT locate an Equipment Fee notice, so he did credit my account a single $2 equipment charge. When I questioned the truthfulness of the FREE 3-month HBO promo, when ATT charges a $5 Change Fee for cancellation (without disclosure), Daniel informed me that I could "view the Change Fee however" I'd like, but it WOULD BE CHARGED. And when I informed Daniel that New Customers could get a $49/mo. rate (plus $150 gift card) for a Uverse TV/Internet pkg, as opposed to the $89 rate (plus $20 tax/fees) I would pay, Daniel said I was ineligible for that rate and that I was "maxed out on the discounts" I can be offered. As for me being a long-term Uverse customer--and potential wireless customer transferring from SPRINT--Daniel welcomed my request to terminate my ATT Uverse service, verifying that MY ROOMMATE could get the PROMO rate as a New Customer; for me, however, NO. Wow! In the 1990s I quit ATT for the poor customer service I experienced with ATT Long Distance Company. I feel like ATT Long Distance IS BACK!  With Daniel's help, I am terminating my Uverse TV/Internet service on March 26, 2013. Is it REALLY ATT's intent to send a 5-year Customer like me to Time Warner Cable to receive New Customer Pricing? And is Verizon the better Cellular company for me? I don't know who exactly I should ask. That is, other than Daniel....I know his answer.

(March 8, 2013, in AUSTIN, TX) I was among the 1st residential customer to join ATT Uverse (TV & Internet) when it came to my area in 2009. Up until 6-months ago, I was a regular advocate for ATT Uverse; however ATT's TV & Internet Service has been spotty, and often loses connectivity with content. This month, unfortunately, I have been disappointed to discover that the FREE, 3-month promotional, HBO service isn't free. Without any disclosure, I've discovered a $5 "change fee" applies if I terminate this FREE HBO promo. Also, my bill now includes a $1.99/mo ACCESS FEE, which ATT now charges to view my local stations. Moreover, ATT increased the ELITE Internet service by $3/month, and has implemented a $2/mo fee for its proprietary GATEWAY that had been FREE for 5 years. SO...that's a $12 bonus for ATT, with no increase in product, content and services. (Unless, of course, I decide I MUST have an iPhone app to turn my phone into a Uverse remote.) Just a couple of days ago, ATT Customer Service Rep Daniel in El Paso, informed me that I indeed had been given notice of these changes, and theses charges--the cost of doing business--are being passed onto ATT customers. Not surprisingly, Daniel had to search for 10 minutes to locate each of the respective e-Notices that are posted separately from the e-bill, for which I trustingly signed up ("to save trees"). He could NOT locate an Equipment Fee notice, so he did credit my account a single $2 equipment charge. When I questioned the truthfulness of the FREE 3-month HBO promo, when ATT charges a $5 Change Fee for cancellation (without disclosure), Daniel informed me that I could "view the Change Fee however" I'd like, but it WOULD BE CHARGED. And when I informed Daniel that New Customers could get a $49/mo. rate (plus $150 gift card) for a Uverse TV/Internet pkg, as opposed to the $89 rate (plus $20 tax/fees) I would pay, Daniel said I was ineligible for that rate and that I was "maxed out on the discounts" I can be offered. As for me being a long-term Uverse customer--and potential wireless customer transferring from SPRINT--Daniel welcomed my request to terminate my ATT Uverse service, verifying that MY ROOMMATE could get the PROMO rate as a New Customer; for me, however, NO. Wow! In the 1990s I quit ATT for the poor customer service I experienced with ATT Long Distance Company. I feel like ATT Long Distance IS BACK!  With Daniel's help, I am terminating my Uverse TV/Internet service on March 26, 2013. Is it REALLY ATT's intent to send a 5-year Customer like me to Time Warner Cable to receive New Customer Pricing? And is Verizon the better Cellular company for me? I don't know who exactly I should ask. That is, other than Daniel....I know his answer.

Why are loyal customers charged more than new customers, plus face fee increases?

7 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 12:45:42 PM
(0)
Employee

Hello jaguarwebsurfer

I am one of the community mangers for the site.

I have sent you a private message.

Hello jaguarwebsurfer

I am one of the community mangers for the site.

I have sent you a private message.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Why are loyal customers charged more than new customers, plus face fee increases?

2 of 8 (1,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2013 7:59:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

(UPDATE: Fri. Mar 15 2013, Austin, TX) For anyone who read my initial post, I wanted to share an update with you. One week ago, I was annoyed, very irritated and in the process of terminating my Uverse Services after 5 years of continuous service. WHY? Because of ONE ATT Customer Service Rep, whose attitude said: We don't value your loyalty to ATT...and the final insult: "What day would you like to set as a Service Termination Date?" It's amazing what ONE person can do to an otherwise VERY GOOD business relationship.

I actually didn't expect much of anything when I posted in this Forum, other than to make public my disappointment with ATT.  To my surprise, within 30 min of my post, Robert_G -- a Community Mangers for this Site -- had sent me both an e-mail and voice-mail regarding my post, with an invitation to contact him directly to see if he could help. I didn't expect Robert's response; and frankly, I was on the verge of no return, having already contacted TWC about their New Customer Combo Pkg...plus $200 signup bonus.

I could tell a VERY LONG story about my telephone conversation with Robert, especially since I had A LOT to say. I'll spare you that, but the bottom line is this: I'm sticking with AT&T Uverse. What Robert did was what any upset customer wants: He listened and listened...and listened. From what he heard, Robert offered me an apology for my experience with the ONE ATT Rep., validated my concerns, and ASKED if he could try to retain my business. That's NOT magic; but it IS GREAT Customer Service. No, Robert didn't give me a $200 bonus or FREE Uverse Service for two months ...unfortunately. :-)  What he offered me was his courtesy, AT&T's commitment to Customer Care, and a simple promotional pkg pricing for a limited period. (Of course, Robert, also made me aware that new pricing IS now in place...but he did it nicely.)

Originally, I called Customer Service about $7/month in pricing changes that I didn't agree with, as well as a $5 Change Fee for terminating a Free HBO promo. After my visit with Robert, I'm thankful to say that I DO feel that my business with AT&T IS valued. Moreover, I'm glad to know I'm worth MORE than the $12 that ONE employee felt was a good reason for me to cancel my service...and bad-mouth ATT.

FINAL WORDS: I appreciate you, @robert_g. Thanks for the call, and most especially your time and full attention. And if Robert's supervisor is reading this: Give that man a Bonus!  Regards, -Jonathan (aka jaguarwebsurfer) 

(UPDATE: Fri. Mar 15 2013, Austin, TX) For anyone who read my initial post, I wanted to share an update with you. One week ago, I was annoyed, very irritated and in the process of terminating my Uverse Services after 5 years of continuous service. WHY? Because of ONE ATT Customer Service Rep, whose attitude said: We don't value your loyalty to ATT...and the final insult: "What day would you like to set as a Service Termination Date?" It's amazing what ONE person can do to an otherwise VERY GOOD business relationship.

I actually didn't expect much of anything when I posted in this Forum, other than to make public my disappointment with ATT.  To my surprise, within 30 min of my post, Robert_G -- a Community Mangers for this Site -- had sent me both an e-mail and voice-mail regarding my post, with an invitation to contact him directly to see if he could help. I didn't expect Robert's response; and frankly, I was on the verge of no return, having already contacted TWC about their New Customer Combo Pkg...plus $200 signup bonus.

I could tell a VERY LONG story about my telephone conversation with Robert, especially since I had A LOT to say. I'll spare you that, but the bottom line is this: I'm sticking with AT&T Uverse. What Robert did was what any upset customer wants: He listened and listened...and listened. From what he heard, Robert offered me an apology for my experience with the ONE ATT Rep., validated my concerns, and ASKED if he could try to retain my business. That's NOT magic; but it IS GREAT Customer Service. No, Robert didn't give me a $200 bonus or FREE Uverse Service for two months ...unfortunately. :-)  What he offered me was his courtesy, AT&T's commitment to Customer Care, and a simple promotional pkg pricing for a limited period. (Of course, Robert, also made me aware that new pricing IS now in place...but he did it nicely.)

Originally, I called Customer Service about $7/month in pricing changes that I didn't agree with, as well as a $5 Change Fee for terminating a Free HBO promo. After my visit with Robert, I'm thankful to say that I DO feel that my business with AT&T IS valued. Moreover, I'm glad to know I'm worth MORE than the $12 that ONE employee felt was a good reason for me to cancel my service...and bad-mouth ATT.

FINAL WORDS: I appreciate you, @robert_g. Thanks for the call, and most especially your time and full attention. And if Robert's supervisor is reading this: Give that man a Bonus!  Regards, -Jonathan (aka jaguarwebsurfer) 

Re: Why are loyal customers charged more than new customers, plus face fee increases?

3 of 8 (1,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 10:14:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am currently feeling the same amount of betrayal with AT&T Uverse. I find it interesting when viewing the latest promotions for new customers. My example is as follows for comparison. A bundle of U300 television, Max Plus Internet, and Unlimited Voice phone service. This is offered @ $119.00 a month for TWO YEARS! For a loyal customer like myself I receive U200, not U300, my internet is is Max, not Max Plus, and the phone service is the same Voice unlimited. My bill averages around $200.00 a month, so I can enjoy lesser products than the promotion. As for the actual services I do have, I have some input for these individually. Uverse Voice has got to be the worst phone service I have ever experienced. The background noise on the line is horrible. When I had my old analog phone line it was dead silent and crystal clear. I had a service tech at my home to replace a "line fuse" in the box on my house after an electrical storm. I asked him about the noise on my line. He listened to my phone and told me that was NORMAL for voice over digital transmission. WOW, you got to be kidding. As for my internet service, I have found that AT&T is very expensive compared to other providers. My service as I said is the level called Max which has a current sticker price of $53.00 a month, and undoubtedly will increase in March just like it does every year. Comparable internet speeds from providers like Time Warner are close to half the cost. Television service is OK for the channels that I actually watch which is a very small percentage of the amount provided. Why can't television be sold ala carte, so you can choose a block of channels for a set price instead of having so many that are bloating the cost of the service. On the subject of television, I was told long ago that when the new wireless DVR and remote terminals came out, that mine would be exchanged. Well, that hasn't happened. All in all I am less than thrilled with the fact that existing customers are in my opinion offsetting the loss of revenue from the low price offers used to lure new customers. My feeling is this. You may get a fine promotional offer, but when the honeymoon is over, be prepared to dig deep in your wallet. I am done with AT&T. Time Warner is a better value for internet, and with my TV antenna  which is free for local channels, Netflix @ $8.00 a month, Hulu Plus @ $8.00 a month, and Google Chromecast, I can save a lot of money. I am going back to a simple analog phone line.

I am currently feeling the same amount of betrayal with AT&T Uverse. I find it interesting when viewing the latest promotions for new customers. My example is as follows for comparison. A bundle of U300 television, Max Plus Internet, and Unlimited Voice phone service. This is offered @ $119.00 a month for TWO YEARS! For a loyal customer like myself I receive U200, not U300, my internet is is Max, not Max Plus, and the phone service is the same Voice unlimited. My bill averages around $200.00 a month, so I can enjoy lesser products than the promotion. As for the actual services I do have, I have some input for these individually. Uverse Voice has got to be the worst phone service I have ever experienced. The background noise on the line is horrible. When I had my old analog phone line it was dead silent and crystal clear. I had a service tech at my home to replace a "line fuse" in the box on my house after an electrical storm. I asked him about the noise on my line. He listened to my phone and told me that was NORMAL for voice over digital transmission. WOW, you got to be kidding. As for my internet service, I have found that AT&T is very expensive compared to other providers. My service as I said is the level called Max which has a current sticker price of $53.00 a month, and undoubtedly will increase in March just like it does every year. Comparable internet speeds from providers like Time Warner are close to half the cost. Television service is OK for the channels that I actually watch which is a very small percentage of the amount provided. Why can't television be sold ala carte, so you can choose a block of channels for a set price instead of having so many that are bloating the cost of the service. On the subject of television, I was told long ago that when the new wireless DVR and remote terminals came out, that mine would be exchanged. Well, that hasn't happened. All in all I am less than thrilled with the fact that existing customers are in my opinion offsetting the loss of revenue from the low price offers used to lure new customers. My feeling is this. You may get a fine promotional offer, but when the honeymoon is over, be prepared to dig deep in your wallet. I am done with AT&T. Time Warner is a better value for internet, and with my TV antenna  which is free for local channels, Netflix @ $8.00 a month, Hulu Plus @ $8.00 a month, and Google Chromecast, I can save a lot of money. I am going back to a simple analog phone line.

4 of 8 (1,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 6:35:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
I feel your pain scootidge. Seems like loyalty doesn't mean much with At&t, just how much money they can get out of you to pay for their new customer deals. I was suppose to be locked in for one year, but every month my bill changes (always up). I have to constantly call to get adjustments. I would love to make one year without my bill going up and having sit on hold waiting to talk with some At&t rep I can't even understand.
I feel your pain scootidge. Seems like loyalty doesn't mean much with At&t, just how much money they can get out of you to pay for their new customer deals. I was suppose to be locked in for one year, but every month my bill changes (always up). I have to constantly call to get adjustments. I would love to make one year without my bill going up and having sit on hold waiting to talk with some At&t rep I can't even understand.

5 of 8 (1,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 11:24:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I went through the same thing for the one year deal, only it was through the AT&T store so customer service wouldn't do ANY adjustments.  I had to keep driving to the store EVERY month to get the bill corrected.  Then about 9 months into it, I gave up and wanted to cancel.  They put me through to retention and they fixed the problem and gave me another year, but not at the rate I was getting for my one year at the store.  They jacked it up by about 25 bucks.  Now, all the promotions ended April 4, 2014 and when I called I was told I was going to be paying 192 and change per month!!!!  Thats ridiculous.  I bought a brand new car 4 years ago and thats practically a car payment.  I discussed downsizing my services to u200 and the max internet, they told me that would rack the charge up over 215.00 a month!!!  When I spoke with the retention lady about 2 weeks ago and told her of the Time Warner offer that was considerably lower, she told me "then I'd go for it, you will never get that low of a rate here again."  It is clear that  they have to gouge their current customers in order to bring in the new business at the rock bottom prices.  They don't care about quality of customer, only quantity.  I'll be calling Time Warner in the morning about setting up installation.  Goodbye Uverse, you shafted me for the last time.

I went through the same thing for the one year deal, only it was through the AT&T store so customer service wouldn't do ANY adjustments.  I had to keep driving to the store EVERY month to get the bill corrected.  Then about 9 months into it, I gave up and wanted to cancel.  They put me through to retention and they fixed the problem and gave me another year, but not at the rate I was getting for my one year at the store.  They jacked it up by about 25 bucks.  Now, all the promotions ended April 4, 2014 and when I called I was told I was going to be paying 192 and change per month!!!!  Thats ridiculous.  I bought a brand new car 4 years ago and thats practically a car payment.  I discussed downsizing my services to u200 and the max internet, they told me that would rack the charge up over 215.00 a month!!!  When I spoke with the retention lady about 2 weeks ago and told her of the Time Warner offer that was considerably lower, she told me "then I'd go for it, you will never get that low of a rate here again."  It is clear that  they have to gouge their current customers in order to bring in the new business at the rock bottom prices.  They don't care about quality of customer, only quantity.  I'll be calling Time Warner in the morning about setting up installation.  Goodbye Uverse, you shafted me for the last time.

6 of 8 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 11:25:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

I find it hard to believe they gave you any more than a 30 dollar discount on your cable because thats exactly what they offered me.  They don't care if you move on, they have a 50/50 shot that you'll be back in a year.

I find it hard to believe they gave you any more than a 30 dollar discount on your cable because thats exactly what they offered me.  They don't care if you move on, they have a 50/50 shot that you'll be back in a year.

7 of 8 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 6:23:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

MJBburg wrote:

Do you think any other provider is different?  It doesn't matter whether it's cable or wireless, EVERYONE of them give new customers bigger discounts that existing customers.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

MJBburg wrote:

Do you think any other provider is different?  It doesn't matter whether it's cable or wireless, EVERYONE of them give new customers bigger discounts that existing customers.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 8 (835 Views)