Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 6, 2013
6:23:12 AM
Why Can't I Have 4 HD Streams?
Edited by schwagro on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:24:09 AM

I'm not sure what happened to the forums last night, but apparently my topic got deleted.  I'm not going to type everything again, so briefly I will explain the situation:

The installer came to our house a couple of weeks ago, tested our "Total" bandwidth and assured us we had plenty.  We were told that we could stream 4 HD shows at once.  However we can only stream 3 and my profile shows 1SD/3HD.  I have called tech support 3 or 4 times to have our profile changed to 0SD/4HD and have been told they cannot simpy change it, and that I'm too far from the CO and don't have enough bandwidth, even though I was assured I did.  I should also add that we have the 18MB Uverse interent as well which apparently shares this total bandwidth.

I received a reply on the topic which was removed which is as follows:

Author:mibrnsurg (ACE - Master)
Date:08-05-2013 11:42:14 AM

Then post (using the little tree on the reply page) these screenshots:

IP Profile

Bitloading

Error Table

Coax/HPNA (if there is anything showing up)

These will show us info to diagnose. Hide your personal info on the Config page of Realtime.

Chris

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the screenshots you requested Chris:

I'm not sure what happened to the forums last night, but apparently my topic got deleted.  I'm not going to type everything again, so briefly I will explain the situation:

The installer came to our house a couple of weeks ago, tested our "Total" bandwidth and assured us we had plenty.  We were told that we could stream 4 HD shows at once.  However we can only stream 3 and my profile shows 1SD/3HD.  I have called tech support 3 or 4 times to have our profile changed to 0SD/4HD and have been told they cannot simpy change it, and that I'm too far from the CO and don't have enough bandwidth, even though I was assured I did.  I should also add that we have the 18MB Uverse interent as well which apparently shares this total bandwidth.

I received a reply on the topic which was removed which is as follows:

Author:mibrnsurg (ACE - Master)
Date:08-05-2013 11:42:14 AM

Then post (using the little tree on the reply page) these screenshots:

IP Profile

Bitloading

Error Table

Coax/HPNA (if there is anything showing up)

These will show us info to diagnose. Hide your personal info on the Config page of Realtime.

Chris

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the screenshots you requested Chris:

Why Can't I Have 4 HD Streams?

[ Edited ]
24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:08:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You have plenty of bandwidth to support the 0SD/4HD profile.  Go here: https://getsocial.att.com/welcome and register, post your issue, and one of the community managers can change it for you.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

You have plenty of bandwidth to support the 0SD/4HD profile.  Go here: https://getsocial.att.com/welcome and register, post your issue, and one of the community managers can change it for you.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why Can't I Have 4 HD Streams?

2 of 25 (1,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:14:01 AM
(0)
Employee
Your Max rate, noise margin and distance all indicate eligible for 32 profile, if have install techs number best to contact him and ave him smart chat (tier 2) support for your profile change. Otherwise tried calling again but need tier 2 support I do not believe standard support can change this but could be wrong.

Your second question is yes bandwidth is shared in the home between all services. And devices.

http://forums.att.com/t5/U-Verse-General-Care-and-Support/Bandwidth-between-internet-and-tv/m-p/2896...
Your Max rate, noise margin and distance all indicate eligible for 32 profile, if have install techs number best to contact him and ave him smart chat (tier 2) support for your profile change. Otherwise tried calling again but need tier 2 support I do not believe standard support can change this but could be wrong.

Your second question is yes bandwidth is shared in the home between all services. And devices.

http://forums.att.com/t5/U-Verse-General-Care-and-Support/Bandwidth-between-internet-and-tv/m-p/2896111/highlight/true#M4103
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 25 (1,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:35:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@my thoughts.......I figured to ease the OP's frustration level, it would be better for them to follow my post and it would be taken care of without the need for another call to anyone.  As you well know it's harder for us outsiders to get to anywhere we want to go using the 800-288-2020 number.  It's usually the luck of the draw if you 1) get to the right dept., and 2) if you get a CSR that even knows what your talking about in a case like this. 

@my thoughts.......I figured to ease the OP's frustration level, it would be better for them to follow my post and it would be taken care of without the need for another call to anyone.  As you well know it's harder for us outsiders to get to anywhere we want to go using the 800-288-2020 number.  It's usually the luck of the draw if you 1) get to the right dept., and 2) if you get a CSR that even knows what your talking about in a case like this. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 25 (1,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 8:04:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your suggestion!  I'm going to get registered over there and make the request.  Hopefully it goes OK, I will post back my results.

Thanks for your suggestion!  I'm going to get registered over there and make the request.  Hopefully it goes OK, I will post back my results.

5 of 25 (1,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 8:34:48 AM
(0)
Employee
BeeBee ..... agree that calling TS is not the easiest, my suggestion of contacting install tech for smart chat is fastest s they can deal with tier 2 directly.
The post to CC involves more time and resources spent.
Truthfully all visits for installs and repairs should involve getting the contact info, if tech does not volunteer then ask for it.
This just makes sense, if another dept or tech has questions contact info readily available. If you need followup previous tech already familiar.
BeeBee ..... agree that calling TS is not the easiest, my suggestion of contacting install tech for smart chat is fastest s they can deal with tier 2 directly.
The post to CC involves more time and resources spent.
Truthfully all visits for installs and repairs should involve getting the contact info, if tech does not volunteer then ask for it.
This just makes sense, if another dept or tech has questions contact info readily available. If you need followup previous tech already familiar.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 25 (1,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 8:56:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well I have had two tech visits and both left a business card.  I tried to call one of them back for about a week and it would just ring and then go to cell VM.  I would leave a message and no return call.  I flipped it over and tried the managers number he left and the same thing, so at least from my experience calling the tech ain't gonna get-r-done!!  I'm sure some are better than others at answering callers.......Just sayin 

Well I have had two tech visits and both left a business card.  I tried to call one of them back for about a week and it would just ring and then go to cell VM.  I would leave a message and no return call.  I flipped it over and tried the managers number he left and the same thing, so at least from my experience calling the tech ain't gonna get-r-done!!  I'm sure some are better than others at answering callers.......Just sayin 

7 of 25 (1,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 11:27:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you very much BeeBeeSA.  I have been contacted by a community manager who was able to increase our profile to 0SD/4HD.  I appreciate the help!!

Thank you very much BeeBeeSA.  I have been contacted by a community manager who was able to increase our profile to 0SD/4HD.  I appreciate the help!!

8 of 25 (1,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 11:30:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I knew they would fix you up!!

I knew they would fix you up!!

9 of 25 (1,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:05:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

What does it mean when it says 0 SD/4HD (WAN); 1 SD/3 HD (Ingress)??

does that mean I Can stream 4 HD ??

What does it mean when it says 0 SD/4HD (WAN); 1 SD/3 HD (Ingress)??

does that mean I Can stream 4 HD ??

10 of 25 (1,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:13:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
heyyofan -When you see that on your TV - the 0/4 means 4 HD into the house. The 1/3 means the DVR can handle (view and record simultaneously) 3 HD and 1 SD.
heyyofan -When you see that on your TV - the 0/4 means 4 HD into the house. The 1/3 means the DVR can handle (view and record simultaneously) 3 HD and 1 SD.

11 of 25 (1,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:40:43 PM
(0)
Mentor
how do i know if i can get that upgraded?
how do i know if i can get that upgraded?

12 of 25 (1,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:41:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
does my profile mean i can watch 4 shows or what does that mean?
does my profile mean i can watch 4 shows or what does that mean?

13 of 25 (1,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:42:21 PM
(0)
Employee
BeeBee, I have no business card but do leave my ATT cell phone number, my managers office number, my standard work schedule (Thursday-Monday, lates).
I do inform them to please call, and leave message as the company prefers we do not answer our phones when with a client (that current job is our priority).
I do return calls when I can, in addition my manager has covered or had a member of our team cover on my days off or vacation.

That being said not all techs are equal, our backgrounds are different but the training is the same, I cannot wire the way two master electricians in our garage can, I cannot do network setups for businesses they wayone of our techs can with a bachelor in IT.
My strength (background of 20+ years Point of Sale equipment installation and repairs actually fixing equipment) is customer support and troubleshooting....no speed cadet here, slow and methodical with low repeat rates. The repeats are generally from things outside my control such as resolve HPNA cabling issues and have customer DVR go bad three weeks later or bad port or someone disconnecting their line.
Bottom line we are held accountable for any return visit within 30 days of our visit irregardless of cause, if a truck is dispatched that is a repeat. Best way to handle is give customer contact info, and be available to respond if needed. And yes I have had individuals from six months to a year later call and I will still attempt to help resolve their problem even after the 30 days have past.
BeeBee, I have no business card but do leave my ATT cell phone number, my managers office number, my standard work schedule (Thursday-Monday, lates).
I do inform them to please call, and leave message as the company prefers we do not answer our phones when with a client (that current job is our priority).
I do return calls when I can, in addition my manager has covered or had a member of our team cover on my days off or vacation.

That being said not all techs are equal, our backgrounds are different but the training is the same, I cannot wire the way two master electricians in our garage can, I cannot do network setups for businesses they wayone of our techs can with a bachelor in IT.
My strength (background of 20+ years Point of Sale equipment installation and repairs actually fixing equipment) is customer support and troubleshooting....no speed cadet here, slow and methodical with low repeat rates. The repeats are generally from things outside my control such as resolve HPNA cabling issues and have customer DVR go bad three weeks later or bad port or someone disconnecting their line.
Bottom line we are held accountable for any return visit within 30 days of our visit irregardless of cause, if a truck is dispatched that is a repeat. Best way to handle is give customer contact info, and be available to respond if needed. And yes I have had individuals from six months to a year later call and I will still attempt to help resolve their problem even after the 30 days have past.

14 of 25 (1,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:53:30 PM
(0)
Employee
Heyyofan....best to download uvrealtime, or if have 3800 RG should be eligible., or check online address for Max internet connection availability.
The current 32 M profile is based on distance (less than2200 feet), noise margin of 15 or better (higher) and Max sync rate available (profile plus 20% minimum)
The 32 M profile allows 4 HD streams and 24 M internet Max, when profiles increase if your profile can support would be upgraded, if not stay same.
If your address check says best internet speed is 18M then on 25 M profile (3HD/1SD) till changes are made (bonded pair with new profiles)
Heyyofan....best to download uvrealtime, or if have 3800 RG should be eligible., or check online address for Max internet connection availability.
The current 32 M profile is based on distance (less than2200 feet), noise margin of 15 or better (higher) and Max sync rate available (profile plus 20% minimum)
The 32 M profile allows 4 HD streams and 24 M internet Max, when profiles increase if your profile can support would be upgraded, if not stay same.
If your address check says best internet speed is 18M then on 25 M profile (3HD/1SD) till changes are made (bonded pair with new profiles)

15 of 25 (1,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:56:42 PM
(0)
Mentor
i have the 3801HGV RG

im on the pro speed now because of a discount rate that comes off soon.
what is the lowest speed you think with my RG could i get the 0SD/4HD profile??
i have the 3801HGV RG

im on the pro speed now because of a discount rate that comes off soon.
what is the lowest speed you think with my RG could i get the 0SD/4HD profile??

16 of 25 (1,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 3:23:38 PM
(0)
Employee
It is not a matter of lowest speed but highest available.
Current PRO (3), ELITE (6), MAX (12), MAX PLUS (18), MAX TURBO (24) soon to be profiles includes (30) and others
TV profiles number of HD channels availability, and internet profile s linked to sync profiles of 19 (discontinued), 25, 32, and soon 45 and higher.
So again need to determine your sync profile to determine number of HD streams.
The 3801 is designed for longer loop lengths (25M profile) but many customers have them on short loops (32M).
Please download uvrealtime or check address for best answer. http://www.uvrealtime.com/
It is not a matter of lowest speed but highest available.
Current PRO (3), ELITE (6), MAX (12), MAX PLUS (18), MAX TURBO (24) soon to be profiles includes (30) and others
TV profiles number of HD channels availability, and internet profile s linked to sync profiles of 19 (discontinued), 25, 32, and soon 45 and higher.
So again need to determine your sync profile to determine number of HD streams.
The 3801 is designed for longer loop lengths (25M profile) but many customers have them on short loops (32M).
Please download uvrealtime or check address for best answer. http://www.uvrealtime.com/

17 of 25 (1,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 4:00:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

what do you mean by check address?

what am i looking for when i download UV Realtime??

what do you mean by check address?

what am i looking for when i download UV Realtime??

18 of 25 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 4:10:43 PM
(0)
Mentor
it says Max Rate: 48,846
profile rate: 32,337 - upstream: 5,040

whats that mean?
it says Max Rate: 48,846
profile rate: 32,337 - upstream: 5,040

whats that mean?

19 of 25 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 4:24:46 PM
(0)
Employee
http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html allows you to check availability by entering your address to see Max internet speed available.

On uvrealtime actual user profile (current) and recommended (may be same or different than actual)
If your current is 32,337 then you should already have the capabilities to watch 4 HD channels (need 4 TVs) but still limited to
Recording 3 HD, 1 SD as stated earlier by aviewer (sorry did not see your post till rereading)
http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html allows you to check availability by entering your address to see Max internet speed available.

On uvrealtime actual user profile (current) and recommended (may be same or different than actual)
If your current is 32,337 then you should already have the capabilities to watch 4 HD channels (need 4 TVs) but still limited to
Recording 3 HD, 1 SD as stated earlier by aviewer (sorry did not see your post till rereading)

20 of 25 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 4:32:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
i only have 3 tvs im in apt. for now
i need 4 tvs for the 0SD/4HD profile??

what do you mean by but still limited to Recording 3HD, 1 SD why would i be limited to that? but i dont think it matters because i only have 3 tvs

what do you mean by but still limited to Recording 3HD, 1 SD why would i be limited to that? but i dont think it matters because i only have 3 tvs

21 of 25 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 4:43:50 PM
(0)
Employee
You would need 4 TVs to see the benefit, the profile is already there for 4 live HD streams,

http://forums.att.com/t5/Total-Home-DVR/VIP-2250-recording-4-shows/m-p/3406839/highlight/true#M16568

For reply to recording limits, and yes it does matter, can only record three HD shows at once while can watch four.
You would need 4 TVs to see the benefit, the profile is already there for 4 live HD streams,

http://forums.att.com/t5/Total-Home-DVR/VIP-2250-recording-4-shows/m-p/3406839/highlight/true#M16568

For reply to recording limits, and yes it does matter, can only record three HD shows at once while can watch four.

22 of 25 (1,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 4:45:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Aug 6, 2013 at 4:48:02 PM

heyyofan wrote:

The 4 streams is important to have when it comes to recording and/or watching.  As far as your profile goes, the number of TVs you have has no bearing on how many streams you get.

There's only 2 of us so we never have more than 2 TVs going at once but there are many times I've got all 4 streams going because I'm recording additional programs.

heyyofan wrote:

The 4 streams is important to have when it comes to recording and/or watching.  As far as your profile goes, the number of TVs you have has no bearing on how many streams you get.

There's only 2 of us so we never have more than 2 TVs going at once but there are many times I've got all 4 streams going because I'm recording additional programs.

[ Edited ]
23 of 25 (1,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 4:54:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
so how can i get the 0SD/4HD Profile?
so how can i get the 0SD/4HD Profile?

24 of 25 (1,361 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 5:05:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
heyyofan - See post 2 in this thread.
heyyofan - See post 2 in this thread.

25 of 25 (1,341 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments